30: I love you.

(Crazy title, right?👀)

Y/n's pov

"Scoops Troops, this is..." Murray let out a small groan. "Bald Eagle. I've reached another junction." His voice rang out from the radio.

"This is what?" Dustin asked Erica. They had the blueprints Robin had laid out in front of them, displaying where Murray had started and where he currently was.

"The fourth junction." Erica replied. The two of them had been talking back and forth for ten minutes, guiding Murray through the maze of vents as Steve, Robin and I sat off to the side. Steve was pacing back and forth and I was laying on the ground with my head in Dustin's lap.

"All right, so... If I am correct, this is right after the My Little Pony thesis." Dustin started.

"We went left, so he has to go right." Erica nodded.

Dustin put his lips to the microphone. "Fly right, Bald Eagle. Fly right."

"Roger that." Murray said in a sarcastic voice. "Flying right."

I sat up when the radio clicked off, staring at the two.

"What's the My Little Pony thesis?" I asked.

"Don't get him started." Erica said, rolling her eyes at Dustin.

"Get him started?" I repeated, my eyebrows raised. "Just tell me what it is."

"Long story short, your boyfriend watches My Little Pony." Erica snickered.

"Yeah, I know. We-" I started.

"Hey, guys?" Steve called, making us all turn towards him. He was standing at the edge of the hill, looking out at something.

We all glanced at each other before getting up and walking over.

From this high above Hawkins, you could see every inch of the town, but what Steve was focused on was the mall. The bright fluorescent lights were flashing on and off rapidly and I immediately got a bad feeling in my stomach.

"Shit." I said.

Once we'd all seen it, we turned around and ran back to the radio. Dustin crouched down and grabbed the receiver, flicking the dial on quickly.

"Griswold family, this is Scoops Troop!" Dustin said into the microphone, panicked. "Do you copy? Over!"

While Hopper, Joyce and Murray went into the base, the plan for the others was to take their car back to Murray's house in Illinois. The flashing lights from Starcourt were not a good sign that they'd made it out safely.

The line was silent, and Dustin's eyes were wide with worry. "Griswold family, I repeat, this is Scoops Troop. Do you-"

Dustin was cut off by a crackling sound on the line, followed by a broken roar.

"Griswold family, do you copy?" Dustin practically yelled. "Do you copy!?"

There was another roar, this time loud and clear followed by what sounded to be the radio being thrown.

"Griswold family, this is Scoops Troop. Please confirm your safety!" Dustin cried into the microphone.

"Do you copy!?" Dustin continued to scream into the radio, still receiving no answer.

Steve suddenly shot up and began running towards the car.

"Where are you going?!" Erica shouted after him.

"To get them the hell out of there!" Steve yelled over his shoulder. "Stay here, contact the others!" His head was bobbing wildly as he spoke.

"Steve?!" Robin watched him for a moment before her body decided to take charge.