𝟕. regret

WHITE FLAG

chapter seven : regret
{ season one - episode five }

chapter seven : regret{ season one - episode five }

"WHY WON'T YOU tell us what happened to your neck?" Glenn inquired, worry clearly present in his tone as he stared at his exhausted best friend.

Kloe hadn't had much sleep that last night. She stayed up most of the night, crying with physical and emotional pain.

She placed her hand onto a wooly scarf that used to be her grandma's, bringing it higher so Glenn and Zayn couldn't see the bruises. Despite Glenn already spotting it, she couldn't deal with the two of them being angry over it.

"I told you, I'm fine," she remarked, her voice croaky.

"How're you fine if you're just covering up your neck?" Zayn stood up, his arms crossed over his chest.

"I don't know," she shrugged, "It's cold."

"Bullshit, it's like a hundred degrees out," Zayn snapped, "Just tell us, Klo. We're not mad."

Kloe scoffed at her brother's words, "I'm sure you'll be mad at someone else, though," she mumbled in hopes the two never heard.

To her luck, Glenn heard her as clear as day and he frowned as shock and realization filled his expression, "Somebody strangled you?"

Zayn gritted his teeth as he watched his sister grimace at his best friend's words. He knew he was being protective, but he couldn't help but get angry at whoever did this to his little sister.

Kloe closed her eyes and took a deep breath before she opened them, staring blankly at the two young men standing in front of her. Reluctantly and hesitantly, she nodded her head exceedingly slowly.

"Who?!" Zayn growled, clenching his fists, ready to storm out of the tent to beat up whoever hurt her. Glenn, who noticed the anger building in his best friend's body, placed a hand on Zayn's shoulder in an attempt for him to calm down, only to be shrugged off.

"It doesn't matter, Zayn! He-" she paused for a moment, "He's dead now..."

"Don't tell me it was Ed?" Glenn sighed, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Yes," the brunette girl answered honestly, "But, like I said, it doesn't matter, Zayn, because he's dead now."

Zayn scoffed as he shook his head in disbelief. If only he'd stayed behind with his sister, maybe he could've saved her from being in her situation. Little did he know, his best friend was thinking the same thing.

They both wished they had stayed behind to protect the girl that they both deeply cared about.

"Where's Merle?" Kloe asked curiously, trying to change the subject.