twenty-eight | blindfolds and knives

Gabriella Hart

Gabriella Hart

The cover over my eyes was blocking out any light that was potentially on the other side of it. What felt like duct tape was spread across my mouth but it was too tight to lick off or even attempt to get away.

This was one of my biggest fears and I felt my throat and body close up at the thought of being trapped like this with no understanding of what was happening to me.

"Are you ready to see me, princess?" the all too familiar voice seeped in my ears, making me internally cringe. His voice sounded even worse than before, especially with more anger laced within it.

Caleb calls me princess but hearing this man call me it made me feel sick. He pulled the duct tape hastily from my mouth in one quick, painful motion.

Without thinking, I started shouting. "Help, someone help!" I shouted as loud as I could before I felt a hand on my mouth again. "Shut up!" he shouted but I had other motives than to just sit here and let him control me like he had done before.

I bit as hard as I could into his hand until I could taste blood, and I tried to scramble to my feet until I realised that my feet were tied up and I fell, landing on my foot, twisting it tightly underneath my shin.

I screamed in pain.

"Do not utter a word, or I will kill you," a cold, sharp metal object was now placed against my neck as I attempted to pull myself back up into a seated position, despite the extreme pain now running through my foot to my ankle.

Feeling the sudden sharp edge told me that it was a knife, so I stayed silent as he pulled off my blindfold, blinding me quickly with the one swinging light I had immediately noticed when my eyes opened.

I looked around at the old building that looked like an empty factory without the machines that would usually occupy a place like this. The floor was pulled up so it was ruined and scratchy on my legs that were rested on the ground.

Old broken lights hung and swung from the ceiling like an abandoned warehouse. "What do you want?" I asked between laboured breaths. If I breathed out or swallowed any harder, the knife would cut sorely through the skin currently rested against me.

"What every father wants, his family reunited." He replied, standing up, taking the knife away from my neck. Relief swelled though my body but still tensed at the thought of him being there above me.

"After you have done this, I doubt we'll become a reunited family," I regretted it straight away because he lunged towards me and placed the tip of the knife against my leg.

My whole body froze as I felt the cold metal rip through my jeans and stop against my skin. "Please don't." I squeaked out with little to no effort. Tears were covering up my vision as he stared through me.

"Then answer this question, Gabriella," I nodded hastily as he smirked evilly. "Am I your father?" He slipped the knife away from my leg so he was holding it up instead of against my skin.

Whilst he was talking, I was using my finger to pull the rope off my hands behind me. It looked a whole lot easier in films but this was the hardest thing I'd ever had to do.

Then again, my hands were tied up really tight that it was stopping the blood flow which was making it harder for me to pull them off.

"You will never be my father," I had too much pride to let him know that he would ever be my father again. However, regret immediately ran through me as I watched his next move.

Suddenly, the knife in his hand plunged deeply into my leg.

The metal sliced through my skin quickly. I felt nothing at first but then the pain rushed like a wave up the side of my leg. I was consumed in agony so I closed my eyes to mask the tears that were now naturally flowing down my cheeks with a scream that erupted from my throat.

I held onto the cold, concrete floor beneath me for support as the pain intensified. "Does it hurt as much as your family walking away from you?" He shouted.

He finally pulled the knife out of my leg, but all I could see was red. Red was slowly pouring out of my slashed leg and I could do nothing to stop it.

I screamed in pain again as he threw the knife away, leaving a ringing echo through the building. "Your boyfriend will be here soon to pay you a visit." I swallowed hard, knowing he meant Caleb and I didn't want Caleb to get hurt.

He was already hurt enough

"But I'm your daughter, why are you doing this to me?" I shouted to mask the pain and the sounds of me pulling the ropes on my hands. My breaths were becoming shorter and I felt a panic attack approaching.

Count to ten.

I breathed out slowly as he stared at me and grinned. "That's right, you are my daughter and that means we're a family," I didn't reply, I just tensed my leg to attempt to stop the bleeding but it only heightened the pain and worsened the bleeding.

Caleb Andrews

My car stopped outside the abandoned building and my throat tensed up, Gabby was inside and I needed to help her, but every part of my body was telling me that I would get hurt. But if it meant helping Gabby, then I knew that this is what I needed to do.

"Come on," I motivated myself and almost punched the steering wheel with my already bruised knuckles.

Finally, I pulled myself out of the car and stomped towards the building. Instead of knocking, I found a ladder leading up to the roof, which was something I needed to use in order to survey the situation before I walked straight in.

I climbed up the cold, rugged ladder until I reached the top where wind was blowing slightly. I heard shouting from below me, one of them being him.

I climbed down the stairs from the roof to end up above where he and Gabby were. Without thinking, I ran down the stairs and pushed into him, pulling him over flat onto the ground.

He pulled himself up and pulled a gun out of his pocket. "Sorry about the face Caleb," he spat out, wiping some blood from his head. He looked even more rough than when I had seen him last.

I thrust my body towards him to get the gun out of his hands until he punched me square in the face, sending me off balance.

My ribs were screaming in pain as he held onto me and kneed me in the stomach. He was holding the gun against me when I kicked him in the leg, sending him sprawling to the ground. My body tensed when I noticed his finger holding onto the trigger.

I turned to see Gabby, screaming my name but my ears had been ignoring it until now. I looked at her and then back at her father with the gun pointing towards me. I held onto it as hard as I could, pushing it towards his neck.

He put across the same force towards my neck.

Gabriella Hart

I watched them in horror as I shouted his name as many times as I could, not catching his attention.

He wouldn't survive, Matthew would kill him. I watched as the gun was pushed between them during kicks and punches.

Finally I made the right decision to close my eyes.

But that was until I heard the gunshot blast through my ears.