This is Chaotic

Kyle stares at both mother and daughter from behind the glass door, he takes a deep breath, tries to control his emotions, and steps in "Hey, Ms. Garcia, what are you guys doing out here?" 

He puts on some gloves and checks the temperature on Lindsey, and fixes her mask, Ms. Garcia looks at him "They told us to wait here" she grabs Lindsey's hand "have you seen my husband? He was supposed to be here by now"

Kyle turns to look at her as he takes off his gloves "He is in the ER under observation, but worry not, the doctors checked him, he had inhaled more smoke than anticipated, but he should be fine, if you like you can go see him, I'll stay with this little one in the meantime" she grabs his hand "you would?" Kyle nods at her "just let me check on that room first ok."

Kyle heads to the nurse's station on the ICU "Why is she still in the middle of the hall? One of my doctors asked for a room over half an hour ago." the nurse at the station barely looks at him and replies with an attitude "We are overcrowded and"

Kyle stumps his hand against the counter "Let me stop you right there, this young girl traveled from Tennessee, she is at high risk of contracting anything in her surroundings, she needs to be isolated, and she already has been exposed to more chemicals in the past three hours than most of us in our life spam, so I honestly and in the nicest way I can say this, do not care what problems you may have, I NEED A ROOM NOW"

The nurse rolls her eyes "We don't have any." She turns around and walks away from him. He stands there surprised by her bold attitude, grabs the phone, and calls her through the intercom "Miss Weil, you are needed at the nurse's station on the ICU STAT, I repeat, Miss Weil, you are needed at the nurse's station on the ICU STAT"

The nurse returns to the station and looks down at him annoyed "Can I help you with something more PNNP Sandoval?"

Kyle smiles at her sarcastically and dusts his hands off "Well now that you ask, MY PATIENT STILL NEEDS A BEDROOM, oh, and let that be the last time I am talking to you about your job and you walk away, wouldn't want you to lose it for being insubordinate, are we clear?" he makes a dramatic pause "GOOD" He looks at her with a bitchy icy glare "Now, how about you get me that room."

The nurse calls the supervisor and they arrange for one of the rooms in the CCU to be ready to meet the needs of Kyle's patient and the parents. Once it's done, they notify him and he comes with Dr. Noren to get Lindsey ready, they decontaminate her, and put on the barrier, Ms. Garcia goes to see how her husband is doing, and Kyle stays behind with Lindsey and assigns the rotations to the rest of his team.

Once Mrs. Garcia is back with Lindsey, he heads home to get showered and sleep a little to head back to the hospital to properly begin working on the case.

After three days of running labs, Kyle rushes back to the hospital after being called that there had been some complications, once he arrives, Dr. Noren shows him the latest developments, Lindsey's immune system was having a reaction to the meds and they still were nowhere near finding a solution. They had no more options other than to switch the medication and keep an eye on her to see how she reacted to these new meds. Mr. Garcia was finally able to come up to the room after being discharged. Kyle and the team kept running labs over and over again and going over the old studies that had been done. 

The next morning Kyle gets in contact with Dr. Mirani:

"I've never heard of anything like that, she hasn't shown any signs of immunodeficiency before, and out of nowhere she reacts to the antibiotics, corticoids and her labs show that she doesn't have an immune system, her defenses are nonexistent. At this point, my only advice is for you to take her off of her meds."

Doctor Millen stands from the chair "That could kill her" the young doctor turns to look at Kyle, Doctor Mirani clears her throat "It could very much do" Kyle brings his right hand to his chin "It's also the only viable option that no one else has decided to follow" he makes a brief pause "think about it, we take her off of her meds and give her body time to react, we run the labs once more and see if we find a problem, it's either that or send her home to die."

Doctor Millen throws his hands up "Are you listening to yourself ?" he stands in front of the tv "that is way too risky, and with all your respect Sandoval, but I cannot be a part of something like this, if that girl dies, that will stick with us forever and I have very high plans for my future" he looks at the rest of his colleagues

Doctor Mirani interrupts them "Well, this seems like a conversation you need to have with your team in private, let me know what you decide Sandoval." She hangs up, and Kyle turns to address his team "I understand your concerns, and I will not ask you to do anything that you do not feel like doing or that goes against your moral and ethical code, so if you wish to step away from the case, I'll respect that."

Doctor Millen steps next to the doorway "I'm sorry, I am, but you're making a mistake" he walks away. Kyle looks at the rest of the team "What about the rest of you? you can go, no one will be punished or thought of differently for standing up to your believes"

Doctor Noren brushes her hair to the back of her ears "We knew this would be risky, you knew this might as well be impossible, but if you think we can find a solution I want to help" Nurse Ander stands from his chair "So, do I" Nurse Hailen looks at all of them "what the hell I wanted to join this case to make something good happen if this is the way to go, I want in"

A wide smile crosses over Kyle's face and he claps his hands together "Alright then, let's talk it over with the parents and see if they agree."

After a better part of an hour, Kyle goes to approach the parents only to find the director of the hospital talking to them and presenting them to a doctor, he knocks on the door and looks at the director "What is going on?"

The director of the hospital turns to look at him "NP Sandoval, I'll have a word with you in a minute, in the meantime I'm assigning the case to Dr. Nerducci"

———

"Sometimes life isn't as full of surprises as one might think, every action has a reaction, and ultimately, you're the one who chooses whether something is worth your attention, or if you should ignore it"

———

*Kyle made a decision that cost him his case, who went over him? And what will happen with his patient next? *

Continue reading the next chapter of
🗽Abroad Liberty: In the Eye of the Storm 🗽
to know more