━ xvii. invisible sisters

⎯⎯ ❁ ⎯⎯

⎯⎯ ❁ ⎯⎯

━━ ALEYNA'S EYES DARTED room to room, looking to see who could catch her. After realizing that she was in the clear, she sneakily crept into Nat's room, quickly shutting the door behind her.

She found Nat's room to be quite bland, as there were no colors that would stand out to one's eye, and the most exciting color was the creme-colored curtains.

The girl's nose scrunched judgmentally. Sure, the redhead was bland, but Aleyna assumed it was a front. She never knew how unexciting Nat's world was.

Ignoring Nat's lack of creativity, Aleyna's eyes briefly skimmed over the room, trying to find anything that caught her eye.

After realizing Nat would never leave anything significant in the open, the Ukrainian girl began to search under her bed. Using the flashlight from her phone, she scanned the space under the bed. Since the spy was such a neat person, Aleyna found nothing.

Next, the girl searched the spy's closet, rummaging through the hanging coats and belts. She hoped to find a secret lock, a private hiding place where Nat held private items for her job.

As she stepped into the closet, the ground below her sounded hollow. The girl looked down, crouching down to examine the floor. After knocking on it, she quickly realized that the plank could be moved.

After carefully lifting the piece, a smile grew on her face as she stared at the two necklaces, delicately placed to avoid tangling. The silver chain was attached to a polished piece of jet black granite.

Aleyna carefully picked up the necklaces before pocketing them, her heart beating in her ears. Her heart was not the only thing she heard, however; faint footsteps got closer and closer.

In a panic, she placed the carpet piece over the open space and darted under the spy's bed. She covered her mouth, scared that she'd exhale too loudly. She listened as the door opened and two sets of footsteps entered. Why would another person be in Nat's room?

Before Aleyna's question could get answered, the world went dark for about eight seconds, as if she had closed her eyes. When the darkness disappeared, she found herself on the off-white ottoman in Wanda's room.

Wanda had been reading the book from Steve's room, her energy flipping the page as her eyes drifted from left to right. When Wanda moved the book, she was shocked to find the Ukrainian girl sitting in her room.

"When did you even come in? I would've heard you-" Wanda set the book on the bed before sitting up. "And you're sopping wet."

Aleyna looked down to find puddles of water under her, cold water dripping off of her clothes. "Um," She bit her bottom lip. "I'm... I have no idea. One second, I was in Nat's room, the next second, I was here."