chapter 12: gone.

—We've lost communication with 7, 10 and 12, but 11 has the transport under control, so at least there's hope they'll be able to get food out.

Katniss moved silently down a narrow corridor to a metal door that was ajar. She stood carefully behind it, trying to hear something else. She held tightly to the syringe in her hand, still flattening herself against the wall and paying attention to the voices inside.

—What about 2? Not many people knew about the plan, but it was safe from those who weren't supposed to hear it. I'm sure Lyme knows something: she has good connections to the Capitol.

—I'm sorry, but there's no way to get you to 2 right now. It's one of the few Districts that still remains loyal to the Capitol, at least mostly and publicly. Turning around and going there would be suicide, mission impossible, Enobaria —Katniss frowned, wondering what the mentor of 2 was doing there, and, above all, why she was talking to Plutarch Heavensbee. The girl then heard a husky voice ask another question—. No, we can't go to 4 either, but I've given special orders to get her as soon as possible. That's all I can do, Finnick.

—Are you going to let them rot there? —said a female voice, the same one she had previously associated with Enobaria—. They're going to kill them. You know they're going to kill them and yet there's nothing more you can do.

Katniss shuddered at Enobaria's threatening tone, but also at the feeling she had hidden behind her words: terror, pure terror. Then Finnick, as if triggered by Enobaria's comment, squawked something else, something the brunette didn't get to hear.

—Don't be stupid, that's the worst thing you could do. You'd get her killed, no doubt. As long as you're alive, they'll keep her alive as bait —Haymitch replied, and Katniss repressed the urge to walk through the door because she heard a slap against the table, but it didn't seem to be from Haymitch—. And no, Enobaria, we're not leaving anyone behind. We just have to wait for the right time to go after them. We're not leaving anyone behind to die, okay?

Katniss then burst into the room, encouraged by the word 'die', pushing open the door with a bang and stumbling into the room, where she found Haymitch, Plutarch, a very faded Finnick and a more than furious Enobaria, because she could clearly see her gold teeth. The woman gave her an extremely unpleasant look, so much so that Katniss had to look away and fix her gaze on a table where there was food being served, but no one was eating. Sunlight was streaming in through the rounded windows, and in the distance they could see the top of a forest. That's how Katniss discovered they were flying.

—Are you done passing out yet, sweetheart? —Haymitch asked her, clearly angry. Katniss leaned forward, but the man quickly grabbed her wrists to keep her from falling, grabbing the syringe out of her hands in the process—. So it's you and a syringe against the Capitol, is it? That's why no one lets you organize the plans.

—Maybe we should have gone with what she had in mind —Enobaria roared—. Save the boy. Because of your stupid ideas of rebellion now the Capitol is holding four people hostage. And I must remind you that at least two of them knew perfectly well what was going to happen, so they will show no mercy to them —Enobaria ran her hands over her face, exhausted—. God, if you hadn't gone after her in District 2. If you had left her alone with your nonsense she wouldn't even have volunteered for me. You're all so reckless, she's just a kid! I assure you that if Nola is not returned to us alive, I will kill all of you myself.

—Nola? —Katniss interrupted urgently—. What happened to Nola?

Finnick and Haymitch looked down momentarily, assuming Enobaria's words, that she was right. If they hadn't visited her home, if they hadn't planted the idea of rebellion in her head, Nola would be fine now. Who knew if she was still alive right now.