091. tears & fire-whisky

H I R A E T H

xci||tears & fire-whisky

March blurs into April, April into May. Suddenly it feels as though their time at Hogwarts is coming to an end sooner than they could have ever expected. The seventh year's N.E.W.T's are but a week away and everyone's scrambling to fit in last minute revision before the dreaded exams. The frost lingering in the air has now completely disappeared and replaced with a cool spring breeze. Flowers have begin shooting from the grass on the grounds and the students wake up not to darkness every morning but to the sun gleaming through their dormitory windows.

Maria sighs slightly as she sits on the patch of grass  around a tree near the black lake, the spring breeze blowing through her hair as she reads 'Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them' by Newt Scammander as extra revision for care of magical creatures.

She leans her head back against the tree, unwillingly remembering the time when she had skipped school with Regulus at the beginning of sixth year. How he had taught her to skip stones across the lake, then shoved her in. How they'd almost kissed, how she had returned to her dormitory in his robe accidentally.

She deflates slightly, closing her book and walking over to where there's a small beach of stones, picking one up and throwing it across the lake. It skips twice, but she knows Regulus' record is five times.

So she does it again.

And again.

And again.

So many times she's surprised there's still stoned to stand on but once that stone skips five times and sighs and sits down slowly, bringing her legs to her chest and wrapping her arms around her knees.

She begins to sob into her knees, shaking her head slightly and she sits crying until the sun begins to set behind the hills.

Lifting her head from her knees, she looks up as the stars become visible, her eyes zeroing on the specific Leo constellation, feeling an agonising pull at her heart. For the past nearly two years she has looked up at that star and been filled with warmth and comfort, now it brings her pain and desolation.

Meanwhile, Regulus Black sits with his back resting against the stone wall of the astronomy tower so that his side leans on the railings. He reads 'Romeo and Juliet', wishing that Maria was sat between his legs reading it softly to him instead. But she's not. Because he fucked up.

He doesn't really know how he's going to fix things with her, most of the time if your boyfriend sleeps with another girl; it's over, completely. Not because neither of them want to be together but because the trust that comes with the relationship isn't there anymore.

Maria would trust Regulus with her life.

But with her heart? She doesn't know anymore.

Regulus closes the book and sighs, looking at the stars. He sighs, leaning his head back against the wall, swallowing thickly, wishing he could take back those five minutes that ruined everything for them.