Chapter 163: Confrontation with Bernard, the Lich

Cale asked the struggling Adin a question. "Hey, I'm in a bit of a hurry, so let me ask you one question. How do you feel, bastard?"

'How do I feel right now?' Adin's contorted eyes turned toward Cale.

Choi Han had beat everything but Adin's face, so his face was left unscathed.

Cale laughed at Adin's state and started to speak. "Black mages are quite intriguing. They don't feel pain when they die, right?"

Black mages don't feel pain other than when they first absorb dead mana, unlike necromancers. They can absorb dead mana painlessly after that initial painful absorption. Furthermore, they don't even feel pain when they die.

That was why the only way to make a black mage suffer was to keep him alive and cause them pain.

Adin started to speak to Cale despite the blood flowing from his mouth. "You really are different from me. I can't understand."

Adin started to speak with an expression that truly said that he couldn't understand. "Cale Henituse, what do you gain from getting rid of black magic? Wouldn't you have more to gain if you sided with the Empire and expanded its power with black magic instead?"

Cale grinned. "I'm just happy destroying everything that White Star spent hundreds of years to build one by one. Is there anything more fun than that?"

Cale stood up and turned around.

"What? You know about White Star-nim? Why? Why do you choose to be against him? That's a stupid decision, you'll regret it!"

Adin asked, but Cale didn't answer.  Someone else answered instead.

"You, who simply looked down at the dead mana and pile of bones stacked in this underground hall, wouldn't be able to understand. What would a bastard like you who only knows how to steal from others possibly know?"

It was Choi Han. The refreshed expression had disappeared from Choi Han's face and his stoic eyes were looking down at Adin.

Cale's voice reached Choi Han at that moment.

"Choi Han,"
"Yes, Cale-nim."

"Second-" However, Cale had to stop talking.

"Keuhuhuhu." Adin was laughing.

That didn't matter. However, Cale turned his head at the following statement.

"You think all this dead mana belongs to me?"

Cale had a bewildered expression as he looked at Adin who was staring at him.

Adin, who once again put on a good-natured expression such that no one could discern his true intentions, was laughing despite throwing up blood and being unable to control and move his hands due to the bones being broken.

Cale bent down again and met Adin's eyes. "I know that it doesn't belong to you exclusively. For the black mages? Maybe the Tower Master? But there's no way that White Star bastard being so generous to his 'pawns'. "

"Ha!" Adin scoffed and then he started to speak. "You're right, this is a tribute. It's something that the imperial family and the Tower Master have to offer."

Tribute.

Cale started to speak. "Why would he need dead mana?"

• Cale, maybe he is a person with Sky attribute power.
It was Thief.

'Sky attribute? Ah... Cheapskate mentioned that last time. Please explain.'

• The person with the Sky attribute periodically absorbed dead mana.