| thirty five ; deaths and denial

the shadow in the light

chapter twenty five; deaths and denial

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"a father is neither an anchor to hold us back, nor a sail to take us there, but a guiding light whose love shows us the way."

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

a/n: alright yall buckle up for this chapter. ps; next chap gonna be just as sad as this, yall should listen to some sad songs like dynasty by MIIA because that's what i was listening to while writing this, okay have fun crying hopefully

A FEW MINUTES AGO

go gun-hee sat in his office, staying behind again to finish up the remainder of his work. the cases of accidents and incidents were happening more frequently as the monsters grew stronger.

gun-hee looked away from his computer, placing his hand above his heart. 'hmm... it's quite strange. my heart refuses to stop shaking these days.'

his heart had been like this for the last couple of years but it had worsened recently.

"is this... my limit?" he wondered.

the doctor had said that he could potentially lose his life within the next half-year if he kept up his work. but time kept ticking for another year, and it kept going for another until he eventually got to where he was now.

it was then, his phone started ringing unexpectedly.

gun-hee looked to the side, picking up the phone, "hello?"

"dear, nothing happened to you today, right?"

gun-hee smiled as he shook his head, "what do you mean by something bad?"

"you know your condition, dear. i know you don't want to let y/n know but you're worsening your condition. sooner or later, she will find out."

"i know, ji-eun. i was gonna head home soon anywa-"

the phone suddenly lost signal, alerting gun-hee. he shifted his gaze to the outside of his window and saw nothing. no cars, roads, buildings whatsoever.

it was complete darkness.

'how could this have happened?'

gun-hee realised that there was someone else in his office. another presence.

that man was sitting on the couch as if he had been sitting there for a long time. it had no human aura, and its face didn't resemble that of a human either.

a face the colour of a pale blue, long, silvery-white hair, pointy ears and blank white eyes gleaming brightly like a pair of gemstones.

gun-hee realised it was an ice elf and had somehow failed to sense its approach, as well as entrance to the office. unknown to him, it was no ordinary ice elf. it was the frost monarch, king of snow folk.

"who are you?"

the ice elf ignored his question, and instead explained the current situation.

"this place has already been isolated from the outside world."