Chapter 55 - What Happened In The Past

Two months ago

Lucy sat on the ground in the Forest of Tranquility, her arms trembling as she flipped the last page of the tome for the third time.

"Go — no!" she threw the tome away for the seventh time. "There has to be something! There has to be!"

She ran a hand through her hair, hitting her head against the tree.

Where was Lloyd? She needed her brother right now.

He doesn't care about you and you know it.

No, no, he cares. Lucy denied the intrusive thought. She forced herself to her feet and after a second she spun and punched the tree she was previously leaning against.

And it was obliterated.

Lucy grit her teeth, muttering a curse as she brought her hands up to her hair again.

You're dangerous. They won't care about you when they learn how destructive you are.

"GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" Lucy screamed, sobs wracking her whole body.

Her hands interlaced into her blonde hair and pulled.

She didn't think that way. She didn't. So why were those thoughts there?!

After a long moment of silence, Lucy opened her eyes and immediately, they landed on her phone, which was set about a foot to her left on the ground.

It had turned on, and Lucy could see she had zero notifications.

And she had signal.

Lucy shook her head. Her hands balled into fists and her nails dug into her palm.

"Maybe they're just busy. Yeah, just busy. M-Maybe Steep Wisdom is just booming now. Yeah — yeah that's all."

Blood trickled down onto the grass and Lucy didn't flinch, her teeth gnawing on the inside of her cheek as her mind moved faster than she could understand.

"Hey? Yeah it's Lucy again," Lucy said quietly when she called Harumi.

She doesn't care.

"Hey Luce, you need help with makeup? For the fifth time?"

Lucy weakly smiled. "No, sorry I'm not calling because I need help with makeup again. That would be the third time."

Harumi laughed and Lucy's smile was a little softer. "What's up, Lu?"

"I need some help," Lucy admitted. "And you can't tell anybody about it."

"Okay, I'm on my way," Harumi said.

Lucy was taken aback. "You — I'm not at Steep Wisdom. I'm in the Forest of Tranquility."

There was silent on the other side for a split second. "That's pretty far away Lucy,"

"I know that's far away," Lucy sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "Look, I called cause I need some help with something big but private. I don't want my brother to know about it. So can you or can you not help? It could be extremely dangerous but... you said you could handle danger to a certain extent."

Harumi laughed. "Like I said, I'm on my way. Just hold out 'til I get there goldie."

Lucy rolled her eyes, smile still soft. "See you soon, snowflake."

She hung up and her smile lingered.

She's going to hurt you.

And the smile disappeared.