12: Husband is a businessman

Edited by Relendria

Liang Meng Yao was finally finished and put down the dish at a table. The restaurant owner was enchanted by its smell. He took up the chopsticks and gently took a piece of meat then ate it.

The restaurant owner's face didn't change and it seemed as if he didn't care, but Liang Meng Yao knew how business worked. After all he was 8 years old when he started to help out his father and grandfather.

"This dish is good," the man said.

Liang Meng Yao put on his business smile and took out his jar of jam.

"Yes, and is all thanks to the sweet flavor of my jam. It's quite popular in my home town, whether it's simply spread on bread or used to flavor dinner. Jam is used in many ways," Liang Meng Yao said.

The restaurant owner looked at him.

"How much?"

"10 silvers"

"Ah?!- husband?!" Hong Jia Yi questioned in shock.

But Liang Meng Yao's smile didn't falter.

"Aren't you being unreasonable?" the owner demanded.

"I can promise you that the jam will make your restaurant busier. Once the restaurant becomes popular, 10 silvers will only be small change," Liang Meng Yao assured Mr. Ye.

"But this is your first try! Shouldn't you lower your price?" Mr. Ye prodded.

Hong Jia Yi could only watch in panic as the two business men faced off with each other.

"Yes, but I'm confident in my work - plus I've already had one of the ingredients for a meal exposed - so 10 silvers but if you want to give more, it's okay with me," Liang Meng Yao said boldly.

Mr. Ye was impressed by Liang Meng Yao's ability to do business. He also felt that it would be his loss if he lost this deal since Liang Meng Yao had a clear salesman talent which he had displayed.

"Still ten silvers?"

"Don't worry, Mr. Ye, this is only the first batch. Of course, 10 silver is only the beginning. Once the business becomes popular then we will negotiate an official price," he explained with a smile.

"And what if the jam doesn't work out as planned?"

"It will. After all, today you just got a new food recipe. It'll be great to introduce it right now but this little amount of jam won't last long. How about we return in about, hmmm... say 4 days?" Liang Meng Yao suggested.

The restaurant owner sighed. This gentleman wasn't going to change his mind it was obvious.

"Min, bring me 11 silvers," the restaurant owner ordered.

A young man came in with a small sack containing 11 silvers and Mr. Ye gave it to Liang Meng Yao.

"This is just the beginning. Just watch how it works out."

"Of course."

They took out the jars and gave them to the man and after that, they left.

Hong Jia Yi couldn't believe they made 11 silvers in a day! 100 coppers were equivalent of 1 silver - to think they made so much money in one day!

"Sorry, this is just small change. We'll get more next time, I promise," Liang Meng Yao told Hong Jia Yi apologetically.

Small change? This was plenty in Hong Jia Yi's eyes!

"Ah, let's go buy a few things. We must stock up."

"Okay."

The two went and bought one big sack of sugar and another big sack filled with rice. They also bought spices and then they went to buy some materials to fix the house.

In one day, they already spent six silvers on supplies and then an additional fifty coppers for a ride home. They both were exhausted from having to walk all around town and carry materials. Jiang Meng Yao was satisfied. This was just the beginning of what he was planning but it was a good start.

After reaching home they put away their purchases and Hong Jia Yi cooked dinner for them. They enjoyed a good meal together and went to bed. They were worn out and slept immediately.