24| Checkmate

The following week was mentally hard for me.

I had to FaceTime with my therapist for an emergency session. She talked me through the attack and reminded me of the helpful tricks to use when confronted with triggers.

It helped talking to her because I could be brutally honest with her. I was always careful with my words around my family because I didn't want to upset them.

So I felt better after talking to her. I finally stepped out of my parents' bedroom. Mostly because Matteo wasn't here anymore.

Okay, that sounded like he was dead.

He wasn't.

He was just sent to live with a relative until our stay was over.

I don't know what happened to him but Amelia told me that he nearly died. Dad and my brothers were hardly able to control themselves. Nonno had to call in a few of his men to come rescue Matteo who was nearly beaten to death.

It was fucking intense.

And Silas wasn't even here.

They were coming tomorrow. I was very relieved that I get to see them again. I missed them, especially Theo.

But I came downstairs for the first time since my breakdown. I walked into the living room only to see nonno playing chess by himself. He noticed me, gave me a quick look before focusing on his game again.

"Sit and play." He ordered me.

Always so caring.

I had nothing better to do despite the amazing weather. I walked over to him and sat down. He set up the game and gave me the honour of starting.

Chess wasn't so hard.

"Do you want to know why she is alive?" He asked after we were playing for a while.

He was a very good opponent.

I lifted up a pawn but froze at his question. Not because I felt another panic attack come up, I just don't expect him to ask.

I wanted to know but no one talked about it to not trigger me.

"She made our family suffer for fifteen years. She took you away from us. Death would be the easy way out."

That was blunt.

"Even a prolonged death is not enough when I look at what she's done to you. No suffering that she goes through, will ever make up for the suffering you went through... and are still going through."

He sounded angry. I looked at him while he placed down another pawn. He sighed before looking at me with those dark eyes that reminded me of my dad and Silas.

"Nonna tells me that I'm too mean to you, but I believe it builds character."

That made me chuckle.

"You're my nipotina. I love you just as much as my other grandchildren."

I smiled and picked up another pawn.

"Checkmate." I grinned.

He stared in shock at our game. I was good at mind games, but he was a very good opponent. Just not good enough to beat me.

"I think I love you the most." He muttered.

I laughed and for the first time in a week, a warm feeling filled my chest.

I may still suffer but on the contrary to Diana, my life was only going to get better.

I won't let the pain and suffering drag me down.