42 ~ How the mighty fall

As the sun fell behind the hills of Downton, the reacquainted lovebirds decided it was time to head back to the house and face the awkwardness of their family

As the sun fell behind the hills of Downton, the reacquainted lovebirds decided it was time to head back to the house and face the awkwardness of their family. Hand in hand, they strolled through the garden talking about any and every little thing just to be able to hear each other's voices. It felt much more normal than either of them had expected given the three-year gap - they were grateful for that. 

Once they finally ventured into the house, they could hear chatting coming from the drawing-room - signifying they hadn't gone in for dinner quite yet. 

"Time to face the music." She muttered.

He smiled. "You act like we're walking into the guillotine."

"The stare of Violet Crawley is just as deadly."

Matthew nodded. "I suppose that's true." 

"I just wish we would have had more time together before facing the family again. It's still so new."

"I wouldn't say new as much as...restored. I don't think I'd be doing this," he held up their entwined hands, "with someone with whom I have just established a new relationship."

She scoffed. "I'd hope not."

"Besides...if you think a majority of my time home, when I'm not touring, won't be spent by your side then you're sadly mistaken. You're going to be sick of me but that's the price you pay for up and leaving me in the dust."

While he smiled through his words, Evelyn knew there was a ting of hurt there. She looked into his eyes and sighed. "You're going to be just as sick of me...I'm never leaving  like that again."

"Then we'll be happily sick of each other." He placed a soft kiss on her hand before releasing it. "Now...to the guillotine."

She chuckled and lead the way into the drawing-room. Matthew stood in his place for a moment, just watching her cross the foyer. An adoring smile formed on his face before he jogged after her. As soon as they stepped into the doorway, the chatting ceased as all eyes were on them - all eyes and all-knowing smiles. The room could clearly see the fading tear-stains on their cheeks, confirming a successful and heartfelt reunion as they had hoped. Cora and Isobel seemed to be the most excited. 

As the two expected, they felt rather awkward with so much attention. Robert, sensing their uneasiness, cleared his throat. "Now that we're all reacquainted, shall we make our way to the dining room? Carson, do let Mises Patmore know that we'll begin dinner."

"Certainly, My Lord."

Soon, everyone was seated. Matthew was rather unhappy about Evelyn being across the table from him. Evelyn wasn't too happy either; however, if Evelyn were to be next to Matthew it would have put her closer to Sir Richard...sorry Matthew.

 Evelyn was in her usual seat next to Violet, who wasted no time getting the details. "I don't see a ring."

Evelyn chuckled. "Did you expect the first thing he did after seeing me after nearly three years would be to propose?"