seventeen. clairvoyant

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐱-𝐬𝐞𝐩𝐭

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐫𝐞 𝐝𝐢𝐱-𝐬𝐞𝐩𝐭

𝚌𝚕𝚊𝚒𝚛𝚟𝚘𝚢𝚊𝚗𝚝

╚═══════════════╝

H E R

After some rather thorough pat-downs, a guy named Alex lead us out front. A large courtyard, mostly enclosed with brick walls. I slid my eyes over to where Carl walked along beside me. By the tension hiking up his shoulders and the tight set of his jaw I could tell he's still suspicious.

I, on the other hand, couldn't help but be hopeful. Really hopeful, which was becoming less common place in my once so optimistic personality. So I clung to this aspiration, let myself dream and wish. That Terminus could be our next prison. They take us in and we become part of them. That things would finally just be simple.

"How long's this place been here?" Daryl asked.

Alex turned to him, "Since almost the start." He replied. "When all the camps got overrun, people started finding this place. Think it was instinct, ya know? Follow the path. Some folks are heading to the coast, others out west, or up north. But they all wound up here."

We stopped walking by then and ended up in front of a large outdoor grill. The scent of cooking meat made my hollow insides turn.

A real meal sounded almost too good to be true. Not just a leg of a rabbit or a smooshed granola bar. But a fresh cooked, hmm, maybe beef? I couldn't even remember the last time I'd had steak or a hamburger. Excitement and hunger took over any last doubts I had.

"Heard you came in the back door. Smart. You'll fit right in here." A woman with auburn hair commented as she turned over a piece of meat.

I glanced over my shoulder, looking for a familiar face. There were people, but none recognizable to me.

"Hey Mary, would you fix each of these new folks a plate?" Alex asked the woman behind the grill and I rip my attention away from a blonde girl wearing a printed poncho.