Chapter Eighteen

The rest of the day passed in something of a blur for me. I was alone in dark magic, as none of my friends had the same affinity as me, and lunch was nothing more than a bowl of soup and a bread roll. Physical education consisted of simple exercises and laps of the gym, though I was barely out of breath by the end of it, thanks to my new elven constitution. It was announced that 'grinding time' was postponed until tomorrow, to give us time to relax after our first day. I went straight to Proffesor Rampkin's room, beginning to panic slightly.

"Come in," called the proffesor, in answer to my knock.

I opened the door nervously, the click of the latch sounding more like the closing of a lock, and peered around the door and into the room.

"Ah, Lee." Rampkin said, with a smile that seemed a little too sinister for my taste. "I'm glad to see you here."

"Yes, Proffesor Rampkin!" I squeaked, my voice cracking embarrassingly halfway through. I cleared my throat. "I just wanted to say, before we continue, how very sorry I am. I didn't realise the importance of staying quiet in class before, but now I do, and I promise to never interrupt again."

"Yes, yes, that's all very well. Come here, boy."

I did, each step becoming smaller and slower than the last. The old man's face was twisted into a greedy smile, and Ryan's words from earlier that day rang in my ears. This didn't seem like it was to be an ordinary punishment.

"No, no. Closer."

I rounded the desk, coming to a halt just out of arm's reach of the proffesor.

"Good. Now, this should teach you not to disrespect me again."

The old man's arm shot forward faster than lightning, his palm landing on my forehead. For a moment, I was confused about why he was grabbing my face— understandably, I think— but then all thoughts fled my mind and were replaced by an overwhelming pain shooting through my head.

I cried out, sinking to my knees and trying to pry his hand from where it touched my skin, but some force seemed to keep it there and I could no more pull away than if we had been welded together. The pain travelled down my neck and into my chest, where it seemed to increase tenfold. A terrible tugging feeling began, as if someone had reached down my throat and grasped a handful of my intestines, and was trying to pull them from my mouth. Something seemed to drain out of me, pulled into the proffesor's palm, and through the tears in my eyes I could see the old man's head tilt back in ecstasy.

Whatever it was that he was taking from me seemed to run dry very quickly, though Proffesor Rampkin didn't stop pulling until it felt like he had hollowed me out like a pumpkin and was scraping my insides raw. It seemed to go on for an eternity.

Finally the pain stopped, and I was left in a quivering heap of weak limbs and confusion on the floor. Rampkin sat back in his chair, looking satisfied.

"Good. Now, boy, don't tell anyone what happened here. If you do..."

The proffesor picked up the wooden pot that held his quills and crushed it in his fist without even a hint of effort.

"You know what will happen."
He pulled a pocket watch from his jacket and glanced at its face. No, it's actual face— that of a so-ugly-its-cute, gargoyle kind of thing.

"The time is thirteen minutes past three," it chiruped. "An interesting fact about the number thirteen is-"

It's cheerful voice was muffled when it was forced back into Rampkin's pocket.

"Feel free to leave," the proffesor said off-handedly, reclining in his chair and waving a hand at the door. I pulled myself to my feet and staggered towards the door, collapsing against it slightly and fumbling with the handle for a moment before it opened.

"And Lee," Rampkin called after me. "Remember, not a word about this. Especially not to those fancy friends of yours."

A/N: Yeah, it's another short chapter, sorry. This is normally where I'd make an excuse, and then a promise I won't keep. So that's exactly what I'm going to do!
Things might slow down even further now, because I'm getting a new puppy! I'm training him as an assistance dog, so he'll take up most of my time. However, I'm still going to keep this going as steadily as I can. And now I'm also going to drag you lot into this. In the future, do you want:

1) Short, but regular chapters, about the length of this one but about once every couple of weeks or so, or

2) Longer, but less frequent chapters, probably about once every month and a half?

Shorter ones are easier for me to keep going because I can write them in a couple of sittings, but I know that it can be irritating to have to read through lots of short chapters, especially with the ads on Wattpad.
That's all, folks! Thank you for reading, and for your kind comments!

P.S: Please consider checking out 'Once More' while you wait! There's more than half a full length novel up already!