I13|

Astraea Academy surprisingly brings me some sort of comfort that not even home brought me. Maybe it's the large open windows that let in the refreshing breeze. The sunshine that warms you even on the coldest of days. A bright blue bird catches my eye as they land on the window sill.

"Are you ready for our next class?" Talia questions, disrupting my daydream.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I breathe, entering after her.

"Welcome everyone to History of Magic, you can call me Professor Grimm. Don't get too comfortable because I'll be assigning your seat. That is the seat you'll be sitting in until the end of the year. No ifs and or buts."

"Are we still in high school?" I whisper to Talia, "College professors usually don't care enough to assign seats."

"Natalia, please have a seat over there." Professor Grimms points. Talia rolls her eyes as she goes to her seat.

"Freya, have a seat over there." the professor points to the desk that's the farthest from Talia. But at least the desk is towards the middle of the class. I'll take that as a win.

I scan my surroundings, searching for a friendly face, but everyone seems to be avoiding my gaze like the plague.

The Professor's pushed-back dark and sprinkled gray hair reminds me of salt and pepper. His brows furrow and his forced smile slowly turn to a frown.

I make eye contact with Talia from across the room. She turns her head and gives me a comforting smile.

"Well, at least Vera isn't in this class." I think to myself, but it seems that I just jinxed myself.

"I'm so sorry that I'm late," she strides into the classroom as she owns it, handing the most delicious-looking red velvet cupcake to the Professor. "Consider that a token of my apology. I just wasn't feeling too well so I stopped by the nurse first." Professor Grimm smiles and grabs the cupcake, not even bothering to question her further. Like where is the nurse's note that she would have had if she actually was there?

"What a suck-up," I mumble under my breath.

"I'll let it slide this once, but don't make this a habit." he points to the only empty desk in front of me. I swear this girl is everywhere. There is no escaping her.

"Well who do you think you are looking at like that?" she scoffs, making sure the teacher is out of earshot. It would ruin the sweet angel image the teachers have of her. She whips her hair as she sits, hitting my face in the process.

Was that necessary? She knows which buttons to press to get on my nerves.  I take a deep breath. I don't know how long of this I'll be able to take. I hold myself back around her. 

"We'll start this class by learning about the six types of magic one can have. Open your books to the first chapter. Who would like to be the first to read?'

Vera doesn't lose the opportunity and immediately raises her hand. Why am I not surprised?

"There are seven types of magic one can have. Temporal Stasis, Telekinesis, Telepathic, Premonition, Orbing, Healing, and Astral projection. Temporal Stasis is the ability to slow down or completely stop the flow of time. Telekinesis is the ability to move things with one's mind."

"Thank you. Freya, can you continue reading?"

I nod, afraid if I speak I won't be able to stop myself from telling Amore how I feel about her.

I start reading, trying to pretend that the devil reincarnated isn't sitting in front of me. "Telepathy is the ability to read and broadcast the thoughts of oneself and others. Premonition is the ability to see and experience events from the past or future." I'm going to ask Talia about that later.

"Premonition can come in different forms," Professor interrupts. " Some people can see an event by touching an object. Others may see things while they are sleeping in the form of a dream."

Could my dream be a premonition? This wouldn't be the first time it crosses my mind, but hearing that from an educated person makes it all too real. My heart starts to race. Professor Grimm clears his throat, bringing me out of my trance. I take the queue and continue reading.

"Orbing is the ability to teleport to another location. Healing is the ability to restore a sick or injured individual to full health. Finally, Astral Projection is the ability to project your consciousness to a location instantaneously. "

"Any final questions before the end of class?"

My hand goes up as if it has a mind of  its own, "Could you tell me about a little about Identical twin witches?"

"Of course, I can. Identical twin witches have not been born into our world for thousands of years. Witches normally can have up to three powers, although it is rare. Twins have access to all seven powers. Some say they were unstoppable. Well, that's all I have planned for today's class. Enjoy the rest of the day."

"So what happened to laying low and pretending you don't exist?" Talia jokes as we head out of the classroom.

"I couldn't stop thinking about identical twins since Professor Luna brought it up. I just needed to know more."

"I know what you mean. You know I heard that people used to steal twin witches when they were babies so they could raise them and use their powers for their own evil doings. Some parents would even give one twin away or kill one just so that doesn't happen!"

"That's crazy! I guess in a way it's kind of a good thing they're extinct." I shrug, as  I follow her back to our dorm.

"Sad, but true." she agrees.

"Talia, did that lady orb into your house that day?"

"Yea, you are correct."

"And another thing, ever since I found out about magic I can't help but think about how my dreams could be more. Like a premonition."

"It very well could be the case, and explains why that werewolf that attacked you."

"That's great and all, but why would someone be after me?"

"That's something we need to figure out. All I do know is that you will be safe here, with the teachers. That's also the other main reason why I wanted you in my dorm. Nothing will happen to you. My brother and I will keep you safe.

"That does make me feel a bit better."

"Also, Cam wanted me to make sure that you listen. Like no wandering off on your own."

"Your brother was talking about me?"

"That's all you got from what I just said, Freya?"

"Yea, yea. I promise I won't wander off." I reply, as my heart beats a million beats per second thinking about how Cam is worried about me.