Christmas Presents

This one shot contains characters introduced in: Everyday. This is for the readers who petitioned for it. It's not what you want but I'm not sure I care, you bullied me into writing this so HA!

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

***********************************

Christmas music played overhead, infusing the air with a cheery holiday spirit. Carter barely heard it in her concentration of the rack of men's sweaters. As she pulled out a dark blue sweater, a guy approached her.

From the corner of her eye, Carter could make out a defined build and good height. She glanced at him to find he was attractive and wore his good looks an air that said he knew it and used it to his advantage. He smiled at her and Carter jumped in before he could speak.

"Good," she said. "Take off your jacket."

He stared at her bemused as she held up the sweater to him. When he didn't do as she said, she raised her eyebrows.

"Jacket. Off."

More amused this time at her command, he did as she asked. He was the right size and Carter held the sweater closer to him, inspecting it.

"I'm Drake," he said.

"Not information I need," she said.

At this, the guy chuckled. Carter returned the sweater to the rack and tugged out a deep maroon one. When she held this one up to him, he tilted his head.

"I feel the need to tell you that I don't actually work here," he said.

"I'm well aware of that," Carter said. "What size are you in this type of sweater?"

"Medium." He paused. "You know I don't work here?"

"Of course, you're not wearing the button-down shirt and slacks of the other workers. It's not rocket science."

Drake gave her a long appraising look like he wasn't sure what to make of her, but curious enough to take the time to find out. Carter ignored this look. She wasn't going to give him that time. She returned to the blue sweater but got a darker shade.

"If you know I don't work here, why ask for my assistance?" he asked.

Carter let out a heavy sigh like he was the densest person she'd ever met. Facing him, she rested her elbow on the sweater rack.

"Because I knew you were going to attempt some sort of flirting or pickup line and I'm really not in the mood for it. Besides, I'm clearly buying a Christmas present and there's a 45% chance it's for a boyfriend and not a family member. Yet still, you approached me. Not really someone I would want to talk to if you knew this and still took the risk."

Drake stared at her and Carter raised the sweater in farewell.

"Thank you for your assistance. I'm sure my boyfriend will love the sweater."

Spinning on her heels, Carter left the still stunned Drake and headed to the checkout. Purchase complete, she left the store to find Donovan waiting for her, eyeing the mass of Christmas shoppers.

"How'd it go?" he asked.

"Good. Want to stop at Starbucks?"

Grinning, he took her hand. "I never pegged you for a peppermint hot chocolate addict."

"It's the embodiment of Christmas, don't judge me for my holiday spirit."

"No judgment here."

She kissed him. "Liar. You are judging me but that's okay. It does mean you're paying."

"Fair enough."