Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Strange Place, Strange People

I inhale the salty sea breeze that is blowing the strands of my hair as I brush my palms through the skin of my shoulder. I was alone in the beach with nothing but the view of the beautiful nature—no, beautiful might be an understatement for this.

This view is exquisite. It felt like I'm in a paradise.

Kami lang bang tatlo nila Daddy at Gabriel ang nandito?

I tilt my head to look at the houses over my shoulder. There are few houses in here. It reminds me of the beach houses in North Carolina in this movie called Dear John. I remember, I also read that book and it took me just two days to finish it. It just sucks how tragic Nicholas Sparks' novels are. But I love all of them... even though they give me a month of trauma.

In fact, that book even gave me this huge desire to visit North Carolina someday, or even rent one of the beach rental houses in there and spend the summer all by myself and meet new people. But that was before.

Back when I was still hopeful... but not anymore.

Pero seryoso, kami lang ba talaga ang nandito? Who owns these houses standing next to ours? They're all fancy, but ours is what's stood out the most because it's the biggest and tallest house you could see.

"Marissa, why would you bring me here? It's like 3 in the afternoon!"

I was startled when I hear someone yelled. I immediately tilt my head from the direction where the voice was coming from. My heart was beating like crazy.

Just when I'm convinced that it was just my father and Gabriel who lives in this island, suddenly, I hear someone yelling in a high pitched voice.

Man, life is indeed full of surprises.

They're like three feet away from me now. This woman that I'm guessing whose name is Marissa was grinning with full of mischief as she tries to get away from this another woman who's just trying to keep up with pace of Marissa. They're both wearing a shirt and a pair of denim shorts. Same as me, expect that I'm wearing cotton shorts.

They both stopped in their tracks when they saw me. They seem surprised, not expecting that there's a woman, standing here on the shore. Well, same here folks. I don't even know that there are other people here aside from me, my dad and Gabriel the gorgeous but weird British guy. Seriously, though? What planet is this?

Marissa smiled at me after a few seconds of staring and then she decided to keep walking to approach me, but I notice the hesitation on her companion's face, but she followed her anyway.

And I'm not even offended. I'm honestly right there with her. I have no energy or desire to socialize in this weird but beautiful place because I have a lot in mind. I'd appreciate it if both of them are hesitant to approach me, but unfortunately, Marissa is a curious cat.

"Hey!" Marissa greeted me with a cheeky smile, showing those perfect set of white teeth. Like she never missed her appointment with her dentist.

I nod. "Hey," I say, not even hiding the lack of enthusiasm in my voice. Marissa's companion just stood there beside her, still inspecting me.

"I've never seen you before." Marissa says with a smile, like she's trying to start a conversation. A conversation that I badly want to end before it even started.

"I've never seen you before," I reply.

She giggles. "You and I, same page." She says, trying to be funny. I didn't laugh, though. I just stare at her, waiting for what she's going to say or take a hint perhaps? That I'm not interested with a human to human interaction. I'd appreciate it more if a dog will run towards me right now and lick my feet.