||Thirty Seven||-›Julius Cadwell

❝He was the sort of man
who wouldn't hurt a fly.❞

Magaret Atwood.

Our lover's past becomes ours and their future our concern

Our lover's past becomes ours and their future our concern. In time, we become our lover...

Study Den ꨄ︎

Through the leaded panes of the window trickled in the princeton coloured sunlight; casting over the armchairs and tables in the study den. It shone over the thick ivory pocket notebooks, manila notebook paper, tape and portable lap desk strewn on top of the maple table.

"The laws of thermodynamics define a group of physical quantities, examples being temperature, energy, and entropy, that characterize thermodynamic systems in thermodynamic equilibrium," Obadiah informed, pointing at a page in the big notebook before him as he sat on a tapestry armchair beside Reuben, and abandoning the chalkboard in favour of Reuben's nearsightedness.

"Thermodynamics has recognized three fundamental laws, named by an ordinal identification, the first law, the second law, and the third law."

Biting at the end of his fountain pen, Reuben hardly paid attention.

"I am not explaining any further until you begin to pay attention," Obediah slumped into his chair with a tedious sigh.

"That would be splendid, I am frankly not in the mood for physics anyways," Reuben shrugged.

"You cannot only develop your knowledge on astronomy. Studying is not merely an avocation."

"Nevertheless, I should not study useless information. I most certainly do not intend on becoming the second Peter Ewart," Reuben cheeked, a teasing smile faintly lifting his lips.

"Such a terror!" Obadiah leapt from his chair.  "Mr Cadwell, how do you spend hours with him without tearing out your hair?"

Julius had been leaning against the doorframe, with what seemed as a permanent smile lifting his pink lips. His golden hair was not in its usual disarray form, but was neatly combed, and his cardigan and breeches were also starched. Many would agree that he looked much handsome than Antinoös, and seemed to deserve adoration from the ancient Roman than what was given to the favoured and beloved youth, Antinoös. Obadiah's words brought everything else back into Julius' focus, and not only the boy with coal hair he loved so dearly.

"Honestly, I wonder so myself, I guess I simply manage," Julius replied with false dread.

"Do not forget who you serve," Reuben scoffed with no true anger behind his words.

"Reuben might pretend, but ultimately, he is my aspiring protege," Obediah informed, regretfully taking out a hip flask from his coat pocket for a sip of whiskey. At times teaching Reuben made him yearn for a smoke or a drink.