Chapter 10 : Forever, Humesha

Nandini looked at herself in the mirror as she wore her ear accessories. She had chosen an elegant figure-hugging dress. As a trustee, she had to look like it and had decided to go classy.

"Damn, you clean up well huh." Manik said, entering the walk-in closet where they usually got ready. He hugged her from behind and rested his chin on her shoulder.

"Beautiful." He said, kissing her cheek.

"Thank you. You look beautiful too." Nandini said with a cheeky smile.

"I know. You can add more adjectives, you know?"

"Hmm...sublime...gorgeous, stunning, absolutely dapper–"

"Okay mohtarma, bas bas." Manik spluttered, suddenly overcome with embarrassment and shyness. It was a side only Nandini got to see; Manik being flushed or almost blushing when complimented. Whoever would believe the Monster Manik Malhotra had the ability to blush?

"You are too silly." Nandini said and reached for the necklace. She had just moved her hair to one side when Manik stopped her.

"Let me." He said and took the necklace from her. He smiled as he noticed which one it was. He had gifted it to her when they had gotten married and it had been a while since he saw it.

"Ever so beautiful." Manik said, as he gently slipped the necklace around her neck and hooked the ends together.

"No matter how old we become, you will always be my Nandu, you know? Feisty, naughty Nandu." Manik said, kissing her nape. It was nothing overtly sensual. Just a brief gesture of love and affection, of adoration and devotion.

"And you'll always be my Monster Manik." Nandini said, turning in his arms and hooking her arms around his neck.

"Humesha."

-----

They dropped their children at the Murthy's, since the event would go on for too long and none of them thought it would be a good idea to bring fussy children to a party full of adults.

"Sab preparations ho gaye?" Manik asked, as he drove to their venue. It was the college itself and the main events and performances would be on the lawn, which was big enough to accommodate hundreds of attendees. As Nandini had made sure everyone RSVP'd to the invite, she had an idea of how many people would attend.

"Haan. Aaj duper ko sab wrap up kar liya. The caterers have arrived, the open bar has been set up and the people who have volunteered to perform have also completed stage rehearsals. Lighting Cabir ne manage kar liya hai." Nandini said, checking her iPad, which she used for work purposes. Manik hummed and looked at her before snatching the iPad away from her.

"Manik!"

"Shush. Hogaya na kaam, ab bas. Now you're Nandini Murthy Malhotra, alumnus of SPACE and my wife and my date for the night." Manik said and took her hand in his before placing both on the gear.

He saw Nandini shaking her head and smiling fondly through his peripheral vision, which made him smile too.

"Kitne bade ho gaye na hum? Graduate hokar itne saal. I feel so old." Nandini said.

"As long as it's you I grow old with, all's well." Manik said, taking the turn that would lead them to the college.

"Same. I am really happy that it's you I am here with." Nandini said, and leaned forward to kiss his cheek.

"You better be. If you thought even for a second that you would come here with anyone else, that person has another thing coming." Manik said, huffing.