chapter 13: happiness.

TW: sexual content ahead

The Capitol was a very strange place. By day, a very normal place; with people in make-up, retouched, with extravagantly colored wigs and even stranger clothes, but a normal place nonetheless. There were huge streets with fancy stores, high-end restaurants and huge buildings everywhere. At night, a spectacular place: different colored lights illuminating the streets, a continuous noise, as if everyone was on the streets, strolling around, and colorful fountains with music playing through loudspeakers. A truly amazing place.

But, that day, in that room, Nola found it frightening. From the office window in Snow's huge mansion in the City Circle, it gave a desolate impression. Nola had been to some of his famous parties, both after her Victory Tour and after receiving numerous invitations during the three years after she was crowned Victor. It had always given her the impression of being stately, luxurious and so grand that one could get lost inside, but now Nola couldn't help but think how terrible it was. The smell of blood and roses was so overt that it even made her retch.

You look good, Nola was the first thing Snow said when he saw her, a wicked smile on his lips. Nola had seen that smile a hundred times, and while on every other occasion she had felt pride that the President knew her, now she could see beyond it: she could see the blood on his lips. I hope our services have been good enough for you. Only the best for our Victors the President confirmed after Nola gave him a simple nod.

So what are Peeta Mellark, Johanna Mason and Annie Cresta doing locked up in there? Nola remained calm, sitting in front of the man's desk, whose smile never diminished, as if he was waiting for the girl's comment.

Our friendly Victors, I wanted to say. I would like you to know, Nola, that we have a great regard for you in the Capitol. Ever since your Hunger Games you have proven yourself to be a warrior, a brave woman, and above all, a devoted citizen Snow's eyes flashed with mischief, and Nola clenched her fist slyly. The public adores you, and you have given them great affection during these three years. That's why we consider you a friend here, Nola. And friends look out for each other, right? That's right. You see, I'm sure you'll understand that we're living in a difficult situation at the moment. The Districts seem to be rebelling, they're not happy with the flawless management we've had all this time, and that's because of Katniss Everdeen's performance in the Hunger Games. The Capitol will not fall to the rebels, Nola. That is why, anyone who has publicly and willingly allied themselves with the rebels, including Miss Everdeen, will meet the consequences head on.

Nola did not respond. It was clear that Snow was trying to send her some very direct hints: if you are a rebel, you die, plain and simple. However, she didn't understand why she was being spared while the other two tributes were rotting down there, and Annie was being held without a shred of guilt. The only answer was because of Finnick, who had saved the Mockingjay and Peeta several times in the arena. Nola swallowed involuntarily.

What exactly am I doing here, President Snow?

The old man leaned forward, resting his hands on the table and gazing down at it. During these Hunger Games, we have noticed unusual behavior from you. You proved your worth in the Seventy-second Hunger Games, defeating your enemies with unusual ease, and yet you continued to train day after day in your District, a District we hold dear to our hearts here in the Capitol. We have always had a special brotherhood with District 2, and you with us. That's why our alarm bells went off when you allied yourself with the tributes of the 12th, Finnick Odair, Johanna Mason and other rebels. We like to think that it was an act of survival, that you would have been able to kill each and every one of them when the time came.