seventy-seven

OKAY SO IM POSTING CHAPTERS 74, 75, 76, 77 AND 78 ALL TOGETHER. IF U HAVENT READ ONE PLEASE GO BACK AND DO SO!!! IF U WANNA SPREAD OUT UR READING THEM OVER THE WEEK OR SOMETHING, GO AHEAD!!! I JUST COULDNT WAIT TO POST ahahaa xD 

   Jared was just getting out of bed the next week when his text tone chimed (as it had done for the past 6 schooldays).

    Text from EVERYONE’S MOST FAVE DUDE EVER: going in early to the library again so can’t give you a lift, sorry. See you later

     He only just restrained himself from throwing his phone onto the floor.

----------o----------

     He and Willa met up after school in the coffee shop they both liked. Willa was stressed about revision and worried about Isaac, and he could tell her mind wasn’t really focussed on their small talk.

    “Did you- did you meet up with Isaac this morning?” Jared asked after a while, faux-casually while staring down into his coffee. She glanced up.

    “I saw him in the library.”

    “Like you do every day,” said Jared bitterly, freezing because he hadn’t meant to say that out loud.

    “Yeah, like I do every day,” Willa answered, voice foreboding. “You wanna know how he was doing, or you just gonna make snide little insinuations?”

    “I’m sorry, you’re the one spending all your time with my so-called best friend.”

     Willa’s eyes were blazing.

    “Your best friend who might be depressed right now? Or did you forget that part? I can’t believe-”

    “I’m sure he’s doing just fine with you to keep him company,” said Jared obnoxiously, hurting too much to be anything more than cruel.

    “No he’s not just fine, and I- fuck you, Jared, everything isn’t about you! How can you be that selfish that you’re angry at me trying to help him right now? This isn’t about you.”

     He laughed in her face.

    “Yeah, you’ve made that pretty clear. It’s all about you and Isaac, and I’m just the outcast fuck-up who nobody wants around.”

     Willa just stared at him a second, mouth slightly open, then started gathering up her bags.

    “You know what, Jared, I don’t have to stick around for this. Maybe it’d be best if you and I didn’t see each other for a while.”

     He stood up too, heart pounding, not even noticing the nosy stares of the other customers.

    “Okay, fine. I really don’t care either way.”

    “Good. Consider this a break for both of us.”

    “Fine,” he snapped. She paused in the door, smile sharp and sickly-sweet. 

    “Call me when you’ve developed past the social awareness of a three-year-old,” she spat, and left him standing with a vague ringing sensation in his ears.