Chapter 34

Chapter 34: First Task

Ladies and Gents I am an enemy of all things electronic. My new computer's key board stopped working, my new phone tries to kill me, and the T.V. started smoking at me the other day… yeah updates will come as soon as I figure out what is going wrong with the technology around me.
I

don't own Harry Potter, wish I did though.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
"Talk"
'Think'
"Parseltongue"
Chapter 34 – First Task
"Excuse me Professor Snape." A nervous voice called hesitantly from the door. The class turned from their cauldron to look at the person who dared interrupt Snape's class.
Snape spun on his heels, his robes spinning out around him in an intimidating display. The student, a marked Gryffindor named Colin Creevey, stood shaking at the doorway. "What is it Mr. Creevey?"
"The Headmaster has asked for Harrison. He is needed with the other champions for the weighing of the wands sir." The poor boy looked ready to pass out from fright. No one interrupted Snape's class if they wanted to live, not even a Venatore.
Harry gathered up his things into his bag with a nod from his godfather. "Alright Colin, lead the way." He smiled at the younger boy. Colin was happy to lead the way for his hero and Lord. The walk was quiet, Harry noted that they were heading to the main floor. The passed the great hall before Colin turned down a less traveled hallway. A door was open at the end of the hall, warm light from a fire with in welcoming them. Harry gently bumped his shoulder with Colin's with a grin. "Thanks. I'll see you."
Harry was halfway into the room when Colin replies. "Bye Harrison, I'm cheering for you to win this year." Colin didn't know it but he had attracted all the attention in the room with his rushed yell. Harry ignored their looks, giving a lazy salute over his shoulder to the boy.
The other champions were standing away from the officials and a blond woman wearing an ugly green dress suit. "Gentlemen, Lady." He nodded to them politely.
Cedric grinned. "Stealing my Hogwarts supporters are you now?"
"Always and to my best abilities." Harry joked back.
Cedric stepped closer, casting a glance at the woman in green. "That woman is from the Daily Prophet. Rita Skeeter, top writer they have and every story she writes is garbage. She uses a quick quill so keep an eye on that." Viktor and Fleur listened to his warning just as Harry did.
"She's here to do interviews hm?" Harry mutter, the other champions looked at him wondering what he was thinking.
"Harrison?" Fleur asked. She liked the younger boy and she knew that playing games with the press could hurt him in the end.
"Amara, come out here with Nightshade." Harry felt his beauty obey. She wrapped around his shoulders, letting Nightshade climb up between her coils and Harry's neck. She rested her head at the base of Harry's throat.
Cedric pressed closer blocking the adult's view of Harry. "Harrison what are you thinking?"
"She used to be a Slytherin yes?" Cedric nodded. "If she sees and hears me talking to Amara then she'll be hesitant to mess with me."
Harry could tell when Cedric understood because a smirk slowly bloomed on his lips. "She'll think you are the heir of Slytherin. Her loyalty to her house will make it difficult to go against you."
"That's the plan, though if she's as bad as you say then it could have no effect." Harry turned away from the other to face Mr. Crouch who was calling for attention.
"We have Ms. Skeeter here from the Daily Prophet. She is going to take a group picture to go along with a small written piece." Crouch instructed for Fleur to sit in a chair. Viktor was put behind her to the right, Harry was directly behind her, and Cedric was on the left.
"Well, maybe not so small. After all my reader want to know everything there is to know about this new batch of champions." She runs her palm against Fleur's cheek. "What makes you tick?" She turns to Cedric with a 'sweet' smile. "What lies behind these rosy cheeks and charming smiles?" She passed over Harry to run a hand down Krum's arm. He didn't look happy at her touch "These are the answers my readers want." Rita finally turned to Harry and stepped back at the sight of Amara. She quickly found her composer once more, plastering on a smile. "Look at the camera now kiddies, you're going to be on the front page."
They weren't given much warning as Rita stepped away a flash blinded them. Crouch stepped forward with a smile after the third flash. "Well, shall we get to the weighing? Mr. Ollivander is here to make sure that your wands are in working order. Mr. Ollivander you may begin."
Ollivander looked the same as he did when Harry first met him. "Yes well ladies first. If you will, Mademoiselle Delacour?" He held out his hand. Fleur pulled out her wand and handed it to him handle first. Ollivander inspected it. "Rose wood, 9 ½ inches with, oh my…"
"A core of Veela hair, one of my grandmothers." Fleur told him proudly.
Ollivander pulled him away from his amazement. "Yes. I don't use Veela hair myself, much to temperamental for my taste." A flick of the wand brought a bouquet of flower, which he handed to her with a smile. He handed the wand back saying it was in perfect working order.
"Now Mr. Krum," Viktor already had his wand at the ready. Ollivander too it. "Ahh one of Gregorovitch's creations. Hornbeam, 10 ¼ inches, with Dragon heartstring for a core." Without delay he pointed to the ceiling, producing a loud bang. Harry felt Nightshade flinch at the loud noise. "Very good." Ollivander handed Viktor back his wand.
Cedric held his wand out to Ollivanders before he could ask for it. Ollivanders only smiled. "Mr. Diggory your wand looks to be in the same good shape as when I sold it to you. Ash, 12 ¼ inches with unicorn hair. Yes great shape." A quick flick had water shooting out of the wand. "Very good." Cedric took his wand back with a dip of his head and a smile.
Ollivander turned to Harry with a grin. "Lord Evans, and Lady Amara," He gave a small bow to the snake curled comfortably around Harry's shoulder. "It is a pleasure to see you both again and who is this?" He indicated to Nightshade.
"Oh yes, the last time you didn't get to meet her, she was still a babe sleeping in my pocket at that time. This is Nightshade." Harry smiled at his little one curled up with Amara around his shoulders.
"Well nice to meet you Lady Nightshade." Amara let him gently pet the ferret. "Now if you please Lord Evans your wand if you will." Harry let his wand fall into his hand before flipping it over to hold the handle out to the old man. Ollivander took the wand with great care. "Yes, one of my greatest creations for my most tricky of customers. Redwood and Yew, 12 inches with the woods soaked in Viperesk poison and a dual core of Thestral hair and phoenix feather." He trailed off muttering to himself as he fiddled with the wand.
Harry noticed that Skeeter was dictating to her quill with glee. He felt disdain for the woman who reminded him more of a bug than a woman, one that needed to be squashed. "Mr. Ollivander with all due respect, may we please continue? I wish to get back to my classes as soon as possible." That pulled the old man back to reality.
"Ah, yes. My apologies Lord Evans." He flicked the wand, making the water that was all over the floor from Cedric's wand testing disappear. "Yes in perfect order but I expected nothing less of your wand." Ollivander happily gave Harry his wand back. Harry slid it back into his sleeve.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Harry sat down at the Hufflepuff table where his Pack was eating Dinner with the other three champions. The twin, before he was fully seated, started putting food on his plate. Cedric hid his chuckle with a cough at the resigned sigh Harry released. Fleur smiled getting her own food. Even Viktor was amused at the gesture.
"So how was the weighing?" Hermione asked from Harry's left, cutting into a baked potato.
Harry shrugged. "It was well. A reporter took up most of the time though, wanting a group interview and then individual ones."
Ginny paused mid-bite, something in his tone caught her attention. "She called you Potter and commented on your boy-who-lived status didn't she?"
"Oh yes. Harrison wasn't very pleased." Cedric muttered loud enough for them all to hear.
Fleur shook her head. "That is an understatement Cedric. That snake of his, Amara was it?" She glanced at Harry for confirmation. He nodded and she continued. "Amara looked ready to attack Ms. Skeeter."
"I almost let her too." Harry chuckled. Amara let a please, wordless, hiss out. "I was more worried about Nightshade though. My little one had attacked her quill and destroyed it along with the notes Skeeter took. That woman would have attacked my Nightshade if it wasn't for Amara stopping her." They all turned to look at the ferret curled up between Amara's coils and Harry's neck. She was so cute.
Fred grinned, George followed mirroring his twin. "Are you going to bond with her?"
"Soon. Amara and I have been talking about it. I'll be able to communicate with her better than Amara relying messages. Ferrets are very intelligent and Amara took it upon herself to teach my little one, Nightshade is much more advanced than her brethren." Harry explained feeding a piece of chicken to Amara who had been looking so pitiful at him. "Amara stop begging, you can get food yourself. I don't need to hand feed you."
"But the food you give me tasts so much better than the food I get for myself." Amara whined. Harry rolled his eyes feeding her another piece. He continued on with his meal listening to the others talk around him, only adding a comment here and there.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
"Master Harry sir, heres is your mail." Dobby held out two letters. Harry nodded to the house elf.
"Alpha do you think that Dumbledore is ever going to stop this nonsense about scanning letters? He's not going to get any information on you." Ginny muttered, doing her homework with Luna on the floor by the lit fireplace.
"No idea but it doesn't matter. Hedwig only delivers my aunt and cousin's letters to me. If he can read those he will find a way to legitimize his 'scans' forever long he wants. Let him. He seems to forget that a Lord's house elves can come and go as they please without a headmaster's notification." Harry replied taking the letters and the single small package from the elf. Dobby bowed and disappeared.
"Still talking to the Dark Lord?" Draco asked. He was in the potions room with the door open to hear everything that was going on in the common room.
"If Tom has written then he has written." Harry glanced at the letters. One was from Tom but the other surprised him. "Your father had written me though. That's strange he also sent me a book." Hary looked at the nonscriped brown book before grabbing the letter.
"Father? Whatever for?" Draco called back. Luna looked up from her spot on the floor with Ginny to look at the letter in Harry's hand.
"Only one way to find out." Harry muttered. He pulled at the wax seal opening it.
Lord Harrison Evans,
It has come to my attention that you have been entered into the Tri-Wizard tournament without your consent, for that I apologize. Draco is greatly upset on your behalf along with your godfather. Severus had been mailing me for any book in my library that could possibly break the contract the tournament comes with. I am sad to say that there is no way to break it but your godfather is a stubborn man as we all know. I have also found the book on dragons that you requested. It is all about Nesting mothers and their temperment like you asked. It is rare and has been in the Malfoy family since the late 17th century so I excpect it to return in a timely manner.
Blessed Be,
Lord Lucius Malfoy
Harry reread the last three sentences a second time, and again a third time before he got over his shock. "Dragons."
"Alpha?" Ginny asked confused as to why Harry muttered such a random word.
"The first task is bloody fucking dragons." Harry growled. "Nesting mother dragons to make it even worse." He threw the letter away from him feeling his magic rage through his veins with his emotions.
"Now Harrison calm yourself." Helga scolded him. "I know that you are upset about this whole business but don't let your anger get out of control."
Harry closed his eyes with a deep breath. He felt his anger and magic calm. She was right. He knew that this tournament was dangerous but he had never thought that they would set students up against not just dragons but nesting dragons. It was like the judges wanted to kill the champions in one go. He felt the rest of the Pack settle in seats around the common room. Luna had moved so that she was against his legs.
"Hermione can you research the different types of dragons they would most likely get for the tournament? Start with the one Draco's father sent to me." He heard her answer with a positive hum and the sound of quill on paper. "Draco I will need scent blockers, Neville help the twins with fire proofing my champion uniform. Ginny how is that uniform that you insisted to design coming?"
"It is being sent out to be made in the morning. I finished the design in history." Ginny answered.
Harry nodded, eyes still closed. "Luna love I want to keep an ear out. If I'm being helped I want to know if the others are too. I wouldn't put it past the headmasters/mistress to tell their champions about the tasks ahead of time to give them time to prepare."
"Yes Alpha." Luna answered.
"We will win this thing Pack. We have to if we want to prove that we have the power to make the changes we are fighting for. Losing is not an option; losing means we are not strong enough to save Mother Magic." Harry's voice was soft but strong. He opened his eyes that glowed in determination and magic.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Amara and Nightshade lay curled up together in front of the fire. The founders muttered among themselves looking on at the young man who sat in his claimed chair looking deep in thought. Helga sighed at the boy they watch, teach, and learn from every day. She didn't like that he had so much pressure on his shoulders at such a young age yet she knew he would only grow stronger as the days passed by. He wouldn't bow beneath the pressure.
Harry sat by the fire long after the Pack went to bed. His mind was spinning with possibilities and future plans but most of all, his mind was on Tom Riddle. The letter he received sat in his lap unopened. He couldn't decide if he wanted to put his trust in a man who willingly split his soul. His eyes were drawn to the ring on right index finger. Harry had more pieces of that man's soul than he probably does.
He sighed ripping the envelope open.
Little Alpha,
I will enjoy watching you win this tournament. I will be there, if you wish to meet face to face. I'm sure you can find me.
Tom
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
The day of the first task came for to quickly for the Pack. They had found that Cedric was the only one of the four champions who hadn't been told about the dragons, which Harry changed the minute he learned that. The whole Pack had done what Harry had asked of them. Draco had the scent potions done, Neville helped the twins and also made a few burn creams with his plants. The twins, with Hermione and Harry's help, had put a mix of rune work and warding on Harry's new uniform to make it as fire proof as it could be. Hermione though had been the most helpful in Harry's eyes, she had made a list of dragons and their nesting habits like he had asked. That list had helped him decide his plan of actions.
During the preparation for the task Skeeter had published her first story of the Champions. Harry wasn't amused at the way she portrayed them all. She made Viktor seem like an emotionally stunted boy who craved the lime light. Fleur was a little girl who had image issues and by competing it made her look better. Ceric was the cute little school boy wanting to prove that Hufflepuffs were just as strong as the other houses. Now Harry, Harry she portrayed like a hero without a cause, wanting to prove that he deserved his great boy-who-lived title. Yes, she painted him in a better picture than the others but Harry wasn't amused with the woman.
"Alpha are you getting ready?" Luna asked through the bedroom door.
Harry glanced at himself in the full body mirror with a sigh. The only good thing about this whole thing was that Ginny had had fun making his uniform. He would admit that he liked it too. He threw the towel to the bed and pulled on his pants that were black dragon hide. He pulled his new dragon hide boots on over the pants. They came up to his knees and had silver buckles instead of laces. They were strong and that was what mattered the most to him though, even if they looked good with the pants. If he didn't know any better he would think the girls were obsessed with making him look like a bad boy every chance they could.
Harry shook those thoughts from his head with a smile. Next was his sleeveless under armor shirt that duelist normally wore. It was black and form-fitting. It also had charms woven into it so that he didn't get cold or overheat while wearing it, the whole outfit did. He grabbed the pair of black dragon hide fingerless gloves that he had become so fond off since he had tried them on three days before. They looked good and were spelled to help his grip. Harry grabbed the last piece of his new uniform, a sleeveless dragon hide battle robe. It was mainly black like the rest of the outfit but it was trimmed in green that matched his eyes and on the back was his Pack's mark, a celtic knot crescent moon. It was done in bold silver with the green outlining the outside of it. Harry fixed his Alpha band on his arm before he proceeded to buckle the four buckles that ran from the base of his throat to his navel and held the top of his robe shut. The bottom was loose to give him optimal movement. On the right breast was a small copy of the Pack's mark.
Harry gave himself one more look in the mirror before turning away. He left the bedroom, pulling his hair back into a tight ponytail. He debated with himself for a minute about his earring before leaving it in his ear. It wouldn't get damaged. "Let's go Pack." Harry noted that they were all wearing the trench coats he had gotten them over the summer but they had a new addition… the Pack's mark was on the back in green with silver outlining it. Harry felt amusement at the show but also proud. This was his Pack, no one could deny it.
The walk to the Quidditch stadium was silent even through their bond. They were all worried but not a single one of them would voice it, let alone show it. The girls all gave Harry a hug while the boys nodded at him before they parted ways. Harry ignored all the gawking students and concentrated on the task ahead and the chance that his plan wouldn't work. He entered the champion's tent ready.
Cedric stood to the side looking sick. He wore a dueling robe with the Hufflepuff house crest on the back and on the right breast. Viktor stood opposite of the tent entry and nodded to Harry as he entered. He look nervous even if his dueling robes made him look intimidating. His school crest was visible on the right breast. Fleur, though looked the worst out of the lot. She was fidgeting with her dueling robes and looking at the stadium entrance with fear clear in her eyes. "You lot need to calm down. Animals react more violent when they smell fear. You all have a plan so calm down and trust in your plans. You aren't going to die, the judges won't allow it." Well Harry hoped they wouldn't but he wasn't going to tell them that. His words seemed to have some effect as Fleur gave him a thankful smile and Cedric got some color back in his face.
That color was lost a moment later when Mr. Crouch came into the tent with a velvet bag in his hand. The Headmasters and Mistress entered behind him. They stationed themselves behind their champion. Dumbledore tried to pull Harry over to stand beside Cedric so he could stand behind them both but Harry stepped to stand between Viktor and Fluer. Mr. Crouch opened the bag allowing a puff of smoke to escape. "Champions, gather around. The first task is to test your courage and daring. Inside this bag is the dragon you will face and in what order. Mr. Krum you're first." Mr. Crouch opened the bag, holding it out for the seeker star. Krum reached in and pulled out a miniature scarlet dragon with yellow eyes and the number three around her neck. "The Chinese fireball. Alright Ms. Delacour," She closed her eyes as she reached in and pulled out her own dragon, hand shaking all the while. In her hand lay a solid green dragon with black eyes and the number two around her neck. "The common Welsh Green. Alright Mr. Diggory, your turn." Cedric looked like he was about to be sick but he still took his turn, pulling out a black dragon with yellow eyes and the number one around her neck. "Swedish Short-Snout which leaves…" Harry took the last dragon out. It was a black dragon with spikes protruding from much of its body and the number four hung around her neck. "The Hungarian Horntail." Mr. Crouch took one last look at each of the champions. "These dragons will have a golden egg in their nests, you need to get that egg to complete this task. Good luck."
Mr. Crouch left taking the Head Masters and Mistress with him. Harry noticed the others were in the same state as when he entered. "Cedric, you're up first so look at me." Cedric, surprised, looked up at his lord. "You are great with charms and transfiguration yes? Use that to your advantage. Are you clothes fire proof?" He nodded, getting color back in his face. "Good they won't allow the dragons to kill you."
He turned to the others. "I don't know what your strengths are but remember to use them to your advantage. This dragon is a mother that is protecting her young. That makes her very dangerous, so be cautious."
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Harry listened as each of the others left how the crowd cheered, yelled, and gasped. He felt Cedric's magic transform a rock into a dog to distract the dragon. He also heard him yell out when the dragon must have caught on to his plan and burnt him. He felt how Fleur tried to hypnotize her dragon with her allure. It worked but he could tell that when the dragon let a loud sigh out she spit out some fire too as Fleur yelled out in shock. The only one Harry had to interfere with was Viktor as he felt Viktor cast a Conjunctivitis Curse on his. It worked, causing her to stomp around. Harry had to send out his magic to the dragon's eggs to protect them from her stepping on them in her confused state. He wouldn't save the other champions from minor harm but he wasn't going to let this tournament harm the innocent creatures forced to participate in it against their wills. Dragons and other creatures are closer to Mother Magic then witches and wizards.
"We have seen three of our champions go against their dragon and all that is left is our fourth." Harry stood from his spot on the floor as Dumbledore's voice penetrated the tent. He was ready. His pack had all helped him prepare for this and so had the Founders, but most of all Amara helped him understand the relationship between snakes and dragons. He had a plan but if that plan fails he had a back up plan thanks to his Pack. "Let us wish luck to our final champion, Harrison Evans Potter."
Harry almost smiled, looks like Dumbledore wasn't going to piss him off today by calling him the wrong name. Harry drew his magic around him like armor. Dragons are sensitive to magic, something many didn't know, as the common thought was dragons were mindless beasts. Dragons were more in tune with magic than most witches and wizards. He exited the tent. The grounds had been transformed into a rocky terrain. He ignored the crowd and concentrated just on the dragon at the far end of the arena. Hungarian Horntails were the closest dragon relative to the Basilisk. They were highly intelligent. Harry stepped out from behind the rocks, giving him a clear view of the dragon and of him to her. She stood crouched over her nest, wings partway open.
"Great Dragon, I mean you no harm. These creatures that brought you here are dishonorable. They chain you up and touch your young." Harry just watched her. He took notice in the back of his mind that the crowd had gone silent.
The Horntail lifted her head, hissing at him. "Speaker, you are one of them. Why should I trust your word?"
"Because you can feel me, my magic. You can feel that I want no harm to come to you or your young. You can feel the magic that protects that nest, my magic." Harry let his magic out more. His eyes took on a glow.
The Horntail nodded slowly, relaxing her stance. "I feel you. A Lord has not protected us in a long time. I feel her, the Great Mother, around you."
Harry pushed the fact that she called him a Lord to the back of his mind. "Yes."
"What do you need for this to end?" She asked. She sounded tired but he had no doubt that should be turn out to be a threat she would lash out strongly.
Harry stepped forward, his magic reached out soothing her. "In your nest they placed a fake egg, as you have noticed. It is what I need. If you allow It, I can take it out of your nest or you can."
"Approach. I will not attempt to harm you." She moved so her body curled around the nest but allowed a small path for Harry to walk. He took great care approaching her. The egg was in the middle of her three. He was careful not to touch her eggs as he took the golden one. As he passed her he bowed his head in thanks. She dipped her own head back. The crowd was silent at the whole display. Never has anyone seen a dragon act so docile before.
Harry walked out of the arena, not caring what his score was from the judges. His back to the crowd he searched for Tom. His magic washed over each and every person in the stands. He found him seated not far from his Pack. He had a meeting to get to. Tom's magic rose to meet his own, mixing and twirling with it, calling him to come play another round of their game.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
"Hello Tom." Harry looked on at the lake. He felt Tom stop only feet behind him.
"Hello my little Alpha." Tom greeted him.
Harry closed his eyes. This meeting would help him decide what he was going to do. The dragon had proven to him that he was one of the Lords of Old and now he had to decide if he was going to partner with the Dark Lord or declare him an enemy.
"Tell me Tom. What do you know of the Lords of Old?" Harry opened his eyes feeling Tom move closer. Harry kept his eyes on the dark water, watching the ripples the wind caused on its otherwise calm surface.
Tom stopped so closely behind Harry that he could feel his body heat warm his back even when either of them were touching. "I know much. The Malfoy's library is extensive. Why do you ask?" Harry felt Tom's breath on his ear. Tom was very close indeed.
Tom's magic drifted lazily in the air around them, playfully stroking Harry's skin. It was begging for Harry to let his own magic back out. Harry, tired of fighting his magic, released his iron control. It attached to Tom's own, intensifying the air around them. "I ask," Harry was struggling to keep his voice steady from the feel of their magics together. "because one of the Lords is killing Mother Magic. I know that you are the true Dark Lord and I have reason to believe that the only way to save her is for three of the Lords to work together to kill the fourth."
"My little Alpha," Tom's wrapped a hand around Harry's right wrist, thumb rubbing his pulse. "Are you trying to justify this meeting? Really?"
Harry shivered. "It is truth." Tom nodded. Harry could feel it, the soft touch of Tom's skin on his ear at the movement.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.
Okay I know you all want to kill me for cutting the chapter off right when they have their meeting but I swear that this will be continued in the next chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it. I would love for you to review!