Chapter 1

•Dionne POV•

The lights in the bathroom were bright and clinical as I stared at myself in the mirror. I was in the middle of washing my hands when I got distracted by my own reflection and found myself letting the warm water run over my still hands for far longer than I should have. I couldn't help it; it was like, for a second, there was a stranger in the glass staring back at me, and I just had to analyse her face curiously. But no, it was just me - with a bit more makeup on than I'm used to, my curly hair far more styled than usual, and a decent amount of alcohol already in my system. The nights barely even started and I'm already at that 'existential bathroom checkpoint' part that happens to us all.

It happens to us all, right?

I was brought out of it, though, by the sound of frantic knocking on the door that brought me right back to reality. My ears tuned back in to the sound of 'It's Getting Hot in Here' blasting from the other room, and my friend outside the bathroom door yelling at me to "hurry the fuck up or I'm gonna piss myself!"
I shook myself back into my body and quickly dried my hands, drying my hands and giving my cheeks a few quick slaps to... I don't know, to hype myself up? I checked my reflection one more time, adjusting my facial expression and letting out a breath. I scrunched my curls up, pointlessly smoothing over the two plaits that were framing my face and then looked down at the short black dress clinging to my body, tugging it down slightly and nodding to myself. Here we go.

"Jesus, girl, took you long enough!" My friend blurted out the minute I opened the door, stumbling through before I even got a chance to move and immediately occupying the toilet. No shame. "I thought I was gonna die out there." She huffed out, followed by the undeniable sound of peeing. Lovely.

"A bit dramatic, don't you think?" I cocked an eyebrow with a slight chuckle, about to leave the bathroom when I felt her grab the strap of my tiny little night out bag which was slung over my shoulder. I looked down at her, seeing she had her head propped upon her hand, elbow upon her knee and eyes shut tiredly. "God, Blaire, are you already that drunk?"

"You know I'm a lightweight, Dee. Don't judge me. Are you having fun, though?" She forced her eyes open to look at me with a dopey smile on her face, her hand moving from my bag strap to my hand which she gripped tightly, and I couldn't help but smile back. Even if I desperately wanted to leave this bathroom, this girl never failed to make me smile and laugh at the weirdest of times.

"I'm having fun, B." I nodded, pulling my hand from hers and patting the top of her head slightly, watching her eyes narrow slightly in response. "But I'll have a lot more fun when I'm no longer in this bathroom. You enjoy yourself, though."

Although Blaire groaned at me, I was quick to leave the bathroom, closing the door behind me and making my way to the kitchen. More alcohol definitely felt necessary. I was happy to see two more of my friends standing in the kitchen, although they were a bit distracted taking selfie's. The usual.

"When are we going out, bitches?!" I called out as I popped the lid off of a bottle of desperados and finally caught their attention.

"Dee! Come take selfie's!" Charlie begged, only looking away from the phone in her hand for a second before her and Sameera of course snapped another undoubtedly stunning picture. I took a long swig of my drink and shrugged. Hell, I may as well join in, considering that avoidance of the question definitely meant we wouldn't be going out for at least another twenty minutes.

-

"Who's getting the first round then?" Blaire called out excitedly as we entered our first club of the night.

"Blaire I think you should get us drinks and you get water!" I suggested with a smirk on my face, watching her scoff at my obviously provocative statement.