Chapter 11: Uncle Harrison's Big Find

Just as Uncle Clement had mentioned, dinner that night for Camp Juniper was on the docks and picnic table sitting atop the hill I saw before when I took a tour of the campground. While we fixed and enjoyed our dinner, we were able to examine the view of the beautiful lake and Ontario itself. Well, at first, I didn't think it was beautiful. However, it was. It really was. Every once in a while, we waved to boats that zoomed by us. I remember, everybody, except me of course, was in a good mood. Yep, deep down, Mom really did enjoy the trip and was looking forward to it. I still was in the dust. I was still grouchy. I regretted being there. I wanted to go home. Yeah, the disappearance of Ranger Kate's child was a little interesting, but it still wasn't enough for me to stop thinking the trip was such a waste. It currently, to me, was Hell. I apologize, but it was. The bugs were my main problem. I didn't openly admit my discomfort to Camp Juniper, because they were having a blast, and I didn't want to ruin the fun. I just pretended to have fun. Sigh, already it felt like a thousand years had passed since I've been home. Camp Juniper most likely won't be home for another million years. However, I tried my best to not show that I was bored.

        While Camp Juniper chitchatted and took pictures, I went ahead and fixed my dinner. In the light of the sunset, I sauntered over to the picnic table where dinner was set up and grabbed a plate. I fixed myself a cold cheese quesadilla, some chips, and my personal favorite (sarcasm), Camp Juniper's best friend during the trip...dried fruit. I then poured myself a cup of ginger ale. Afterwards, once my plate was full, I headed over to the long dock and sat at the very end where there were no bugs at all, since I was on the water. Thank God. Anything but bugs. Without bugs, I was able to take my bug net off and eat in peace. I set it down next to me. While I ate my dinner, I peered into the crystal clear water of the lake and watched the weeds sway back and forth. I next peered out to the open water and watched as more boats zipped by. I sighed. Perhaps Ken was mistaken? Perhaps Finlayson Point Provincial Park was the haunted park but not the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park? If that's so, I remember thinking to myself, then yay, the creepy part of the trip was over with.

Before I knew it, the rest of Camp Juniper, excluding Uncle Harrison because he was using the restroom, joined me on the dock to eat their own dinner.

Uncle Bart sat next to me and said, "Hiyah, Kylie Wylie."

Kylie Wylie. That's a little nickname my family likes to call me. Everybody has a nickname in their family. In mine, Peace Maker was Uncle Clement's nickname and Tosh was Uncle Macon's.

After calling me by my own nickname, Uncle Bart took a bit into his own cheese quesadilla and added with, "Mmm." It was quite tasty. That's what I concluded. Well, it was. While Camp Juniper ate, they talked with each other about the next day, our first day of canoeing.

I groaned, and in my head, I asked myself, When will this trip get interesting? The disappearance of Ranger Kate's son isn't enough! I need something else! Just when I thought I lost everything important to me, things actually did take a turn. Things actually did become a little more interesting.

        Uncle Harrison soon returned from the bathroom, and in his hand, he held a flyer. I assumed it was one of the flyers that were hanging up next to the door that led into the bathroom that I didn't bother to read. This was Uncle Harrison's big find. He joined us on the dock, and all of us stopped eating and peered back to him. Uncle Harrison was reading from the flyer, and he appeared to be interested in whatever was written on it. After a bit of an awkward silence, Uncle Macon spoke up.

"Harrison, my man," he said, and he gestured at the picnic table, "why don't you grab a plate and fix dinner?"

"In just a sec!" Uncle Harrison excitedly answered, and he tightly gripped the flyer he held, "Guys, you have to listen to what this flyer says! It's very interesting."