CHAPTER 43

"Nickolas!" I shout as he is about to step out. He turns and faces me.

"Let's get this done with," I say, running toward him, but I see something in my peripheral vision that makes me halt.

That's not good.

Ekaterina creates a portal, but before she can pass through it with Elizabeth, someone closes it and makes it disappear. Ekaterina has told me only one witch in the world could close another witch's portal.

The witch Queen.

"Hello, dear, it's been a while since I last saw you," the evil witch says to Ekaterina with a smirk on her face.

Ava must've told her sister, Rebecca, Ekaterina was here. Witches can send messages to each other by using spells. I want to keep my promise and help Ekaterina, but right now isn't the time. Nickolas is getting away. I will help her once I'm done with him.

I continue to run toward Nickolas. Grabbing him by the collar, I spin him around. I punch him square in the face, but Nickolas quickly heals from it. I hit him two more times in the ribs, but the same thing happens. It's hard to do any damage to a vampire in human form. I am stronger in wolf form, but it was too dangerous to shift. The two most powerful witches were here. The minute I shift into my wolf would be the minute I lose my head, but I don't have a choice. This fight with the vampire king wasn't going anywhere.

It's better I die in wolf form. With that thought in mind, I shift into my midnight wolf. I snarl my teeth at Nickolas, but before I can take any step, I hear Xavier whimper in pain. I feel my heart squeeze in my body. I fall to the ground, and every single part of my body twists in pain. I look ahead and see Ava chanting words. She is killing me. Why wasn't Kyler dealing with her?

I look around the room for Kyler. I see him dropping to the ground as an ice arrow pierces through his shoulder. Kyler ran in front of Ekaterina to protect her from the arrow Rebecca sent her way.

"Go, now before she recovers," Kyler urges Ekaterina, who has tears flowing down her face. It takes a lot of energy to release the ice arrow Rebecca just did.

"Oh saints, there is so much blood," Ekaterina says, looking around her, probably for water to heal Kyler as he wasn't healing.

"Forget about me, leave."

"No," Ekaterina says, closing her eyes, probably to think. This was Ekaterina's only chance to leave with Elizabeth, but Ekaterina did something else instead. She creates a shield made of her two elements to protect her mate and Elizabeth.

"It was time I stopped running from you and ended this once and for all," Ekaterina says to Rebecca.

"No, don't, Ekaterina, please leave," Kyler shouts, but she doesn't listen. She steps out of the shield after giving her mate a little smile. He moves toward the shield to step out but is unable to. Ekaterina created a shield that only allowed her access in and out. She must have done it to protect Kyler and Elizabeth.

She walks toward Rebecca with the determination in her eyes to end everything today.

"How foolish can you be, werewolf king?" Nickolas says, making me take my eyes away from Ekaterina. He breaks a chair in the room and walks toward me with a wooden stake. He wants to plunge it into my heart.

I feel the grip on my heart loosen a bit, and my body stops twisting. I look around the room and see Ekaterina throwing fireballs at Ava. She gets the witch to stop chanting the spell and gives me a chance to end the vampire king finally.

"It was easier to kill you than I thought," Nickolas says, approaching me to drive the wooden stake into my fur. I pretend I'm still under Ava's spell, and once he's close enough, I jump up and land on him. I pin Nickolas to the ground, open my mouth wide, and try to capture his head between my teeth. Nickolas sees this and uses the wooden stake to block my teeth from capturing his head.

We struggle against each other until I stop trying to remove the wooden stake and use it to my advantage. Capturing the wooden stake in my mouth, I drive it through Nickolas' heart before he can understand what's happening. I rip his head out of his body the second his heart starts bleeding to ensure he never returns.

I shift back to human form and run to help Ekaterina after putting on some pants I found on the floor. She is fighting the two strongest witches in the world all on her own. How is she still alive?

"Ekaterina, I know you want to end this right now, but there are two of them. There's no way you can win," I say as I stand beside Ekaterina.

"I know. What do you suggest we do?"

"I'll keep the witches busy while you create a portal to get us out of here."

"Cover me," Ekaterina says, running back to her mate as I fight the witches.

Ekaterina steps into the shield and begins creating the portal.

"Nate, it's opened!" Ekaterina shouts across the room as I dodge a fireball coming my way. I run across the room to where Ekaterina is. She quickly takes down the shield so I can walk in, then puts it back up. I lift Elizabeth in my arms and walk through the portal first. Ekaterina helps her mate up and walks through it with him.