Chapter 13: The Ghost of Ontario

Ranger Amelia and Ranger Kate, the rangers we met that day at the station, were the ones in charge of the ranger talk that night. Ranger Kate had returned from her expedition to Lake Temagami, but she still looked depressed as ever. She worked as Ranger Amelia's assistant that night. However, Ranger Amelia was the ranger who explained everything. She was the ranger who really got me scared. Now, audience, you're going to learn why this story is called The Ghost of Ontario. Get your paper bags and flashlights ready because this is it.

        Ranger Amelia and Ranger Kate stood on either side of the magnificent bonfire. It truly was amazing.

Uncle Bart nudged me and whispered, "Check it out, Kylie! It's Ranger Kate!"

He pointed at Ranger Kate, and I nodded, saying, "I know, Uncle Bart. I know. Hmm." I rubbed my chin.

Ranger Amelia soon stepped in front of the bonfire, and she smiled out at the audience. She had a beautiful smile. I wondered if Ranger Kate's smile was just as beautiful. That was as if she ever did smile. Ranger Amelia brought her hand to her chest and introduced herself, "In case you don't know, I'm Ranger Amelia, and that," She dropped her hand and pointed it at Ranger Kate, "is my partner, Ranger Kate. Everybody say, 'Hi, Ranger Kate.'"

"Hi, Ranger Kate," spoke the entire audience, including Camp Juniper, me, and Kyle and his family.

Ranger Kate feebly waved hello. However, she didn't speak. She appeared to be a little shy.

Ranger Amelia smiled out at us again and said, "I see a few familiar faces out here tonight." Her eyes landed on Kyle and his family members, and she waved, "Hi, Kyle, Leslie, Parker, and Regina Baker."

"Hi," they all spoke at the same time, and they too waved.

I was confused for a moment. Why did Kyle and his family and Ranger Amelia seem to know each other? She answered my question immediately.

She gave a tip of her hat and asked them, "Weren't you guys here the other day for the first time we shared the legend this season?"

"Yesterday actually." Kyle answered, "We just find it astonishing, Ranger Amelia."

"It really is," she said, and her eyes landed on the rest of the audience again, "To all you newcomers out there, welcome to Finlayson Point Provincial Park, located here in the beautiful province of Ontario, Canada!"

"You mean the bug invested province?" I murmured to myself. Uncle Bart nudged me. I was being rude. However, did I care? No. I still refused to go on this stupid weeklong canoe trip up at the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park anyway.

Ranger Amelia added with, "Are any of you from out of town?" Camp Juniper and one more family with a little girl raised their hands. "Awesome," said Ranger Amelia, and she focused in on the family with the little girl. They sat in the front row bench. Ranger Amelia approached them and kneeled to the girl, asking, "Where are you guys from?"

"Oregon," spoke the little girl's cute voice, "We're from Salem, Oregon, ma'am." Oregon?! Holy kamoly, they sure were far from home! Gee! They were even further than us. What had convinced them to come here? I asked this a few times to myself.

Ranger Amelia put her hands together and said, "Wow. You guys are far from home, eh? Well, we're pleased to have you here."

"And we're pleased to be here," spoke the little girl.

A few people in the audience chuckled at her cuteness.

Ranger Amelia's eyes soon left them, and they landed on us instead. Even though we told her where we were from when we met her at the station, she went ahead and asked, "And where are you guys from?"