Chapter 14: Kylie's Fear

Song: "You're the One" - Heavynn Gates

        I remember I had never been so scared in my entire life. No, seriously! I kept on asking myself why I let Camp Juniper attend the ranger talk in the first place. However, if I recall, I was a little interested in The Legend of the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park myself. I had no idea it would be what it turned out to be. I don't believe it scared Camp Juniper, but it sure scared me. As I mentioned before, Red Squirrel Lake was Camp Juniper's first destination in the big canoeing trip up at the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park. I asked myself so many troubled questions. Questions like: What if it really was true that ten years ago, a little five-year-old boy became involved in a canoeing accident on Red Squirrel Lake that badly broke his ankle? What if he really did turn into a ghost? What if he really was searching for his chance of revenge?

        These thoughts troubled me all the way back to the campsite. I was so distracted by the Ghost of Ontario that I didn't realize I had made it back. When I did, I decided that if perhaps I went ahead and took my shower, then it would take my mind off it. Perhaps it would calm my spirit? It didn't. Just at the thought of "spirit," I was reminded of the Ghost of Ontario. During my shower, I just stood under the water and didn't move a muscle. I was too petrified to move. What if Kyle was right? What if I really did see the Ghost of Ontario instead of a serial killer? Ken, seriously, why did you have to say the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park was haunted? Now I knew what he meant. And what was this whole thing about "Lucilla?" What in the name of was "Lucilla?" Was it really the Ghost of Ontario's warning call? I had no idea.

I must've stayed in the shower for a very long time because before I knew it, my troubled thoughts were interrupted by someone suddenly banging the door from outside.

"Open up!" they angrily shouted, "Others want to take showers too!"

"Oh snap!" I yelled, "Sorry!" I quickly finished my shower and changed into my jammies. Then, with my travel kit and clothes under my arm, I opened the door and stepped outside. I froze at what I saw, and my eyes widened. There was a long line of people, maybe ten, and all of them held towels, shampoo, soap, and travel kits under their arms. Yeah, you can go ahead and laugh. Go on. Go ahead. All right, are we done? We are? Cool. And we're back! So yeah, there was a long line of people, and all of them glared at me the same time. I chuckled nervously and said, "Sorry, my friends. I was distracted."

"Lazy you mean?" a woman asked me.

I nodded and answered, "Yep. Lazy." Soon, I left the line, and I scurried into the women's restroom where I used a flushable toilet and sink for one of the last times. I then returned to our campsite, and I saw that the rest of Camp Juniper had returned from the amphitheater. They tried to talk to me, but I was too scared to. I instead returned to my tent, crawled back inside, and got ready for bed. In the light of my headlamp, I folded my clothes and set them off to the side. I would be wearing them the next day, so I wanted to make sure they were within reach of me. When I finished with my clothes, I turned off my headlamp and tossed them onto my jacket. I then crawled into my sleeping bag and pressed my head up against my pillow. In my hand, I held Annie, and I hugged her close to me.

I stared at the ceiling and tried to go to sleep, but I couldn't. The Ghost of Ontario kept me awake. Wind whistled outside my tent, and I couldn't help but to feel like in the whistling came haunting laughter.

After an hour or two, I heard snores coming from outside. The rest of Camp Juniper had gone to bed. It was quiet in Finlayson Point Provincial Park's campground, but around midnight, the silence was broken.

        Just when I was getting ready to doze off, I heard another crack coming from the forest. My eyes widened, and I frightfully whispered, "What's that?!" I pulled my sleeping bag over my nose and mouth and listened. The crack came again. Since it was very dark that night, I wasn't able to look out and identify what it was that caused the cracking. However, only one thing came to mind. The Ghost of Ontario. I stayed as still as possible and listened to the cracking. What happened next was totally creepy!

I heard footsteps coming out from the forest. Footsteps! Haunting footsteps in fact. It was the Ghost of Ontario! I knew it was! I whimpered and hugged Annie closer to me. For as long as I can remember, I waited for the ghost's ghostly hands to grab me, but they never did.

However, the footsteps stayed, and before I knew it, I heard the voice, the same voice that I heard when I toured the campground. Oh, gosh, the Ghost of Ontario could talk! It was strange. I thought that the ghost, despite that it was the ghost of a five-year-old boy, would have the voice of a five-year-old, but he didn't. He didn't sound like an adult either. He sounded like a teenager. Oh pickles and carrots, I also thought ghosts couldn't age! However, the voice did sound quite mysterious.

It whispered, "I'll just set them down here. All right, come on, Ro." Sweat poured down my temples. There was the name Ro again. Who on earth was Ro? Was it the Ghost of Ontario's assistant? After a bit, he whispered something else. He whispered another name! Oh no, the Ghost of Ontario had two assistants! He whispered, "Dempsey, coast is clear. Quiet. We need to return to the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park." Dempsey?! What in the name of?! Dempsey and Ro?! Who were they? I finally knew for a fact that it was the Ghost of Ontario whispering because he mentioned the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park. He probably took trips to Finlayson to find his next victims. We, Camp Juniper, were his next victims. I just knew it! How do I know? Well, the last thing the Ghost of Ontario said before he left was, "We'll work together to give these people a taste of our power. I hope they have their oxygen tanks because they are going to need them."

        Oh, God, I knew it! He was going to drown us! He sounded very certain. The last thing I heard were more footsteps, except these footsteps sounded enormous. They sounded like they belonged to a giant; they were so big. Was I dreaming? I had to be. But I wasn't. However, soon, everything quieted down, and I heard nothing more. Strange, the Ghost of Ontario had visited us, but he hadn't taken us away. Well, not yet at least, but I knew he would. I knew that once Camp Juniper reached the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park, then our lives would be over. And it was all because of the Ghost of Ontario.