The Doctor

My legs were a bit shaky still as I walked up the stairs and I had to hold the banister to feel safe. Up in the safety of my room I took a few deep breaths and tried to calm my racing heart. My last experience with a doctor had not been a good one. It was years ago now; I hadn't been to the doctor in a very long time. But the last time I'd gone, the 'doctor' had been some creepy old man my mother had found, I think he was actually a back alley abortionist or something rather than a real doctor, and he'd found far too much enjoyment in touching my body. He'd poked and prodded me, hurting me, and when he pressed a wooden popsicle stick down on my tongue so he could look at my throat, I'd gagged and nearly threw up. My mother had slapped my face for complaining about the rough treatment I received, and she hadn't been able to afford the medication the doctor had recommended anyway, so enduring the medical examination had been a waste of time. I had to just continue to suffer until I eventually came right.

I found some more clothes to put on and just when I finished dressing, there was a knock at my door. I jumped, startled. So far, it didn't seem like my brothers were overly concerned with giving me any privacy, so for whoever it was to knock instead of just barging right in like I'd expected, was nice.

"Come in," I called out and instantly the door swung open to reveal Jack with another hoodie for me, just as he'd promised. Behind him stood another man, one I didn't recognise. He looked to be about Damon's age and, just like Damon, was impeccably dressed in a tailored black suit, expensive looking. Unlike Damon, he was blonde. He held a black leather satchel. The doctor, I assumed. From where he stood in the doorway he looked me over and gave me a smile that didn't reach his eyes. I didn't like him.

"Carrie, this is Dominic. He's a doctor. He's going to have a look at your burns, okay?"

Although Jack had phrased it as a question, I knew it wasn't one. Not really. He made it sound like he was asking for my consent, but in reality, he was simply telling me what was about to happen. I knew that if I said no, it would happen anyway, eventually. I might get a few minutes reprieve while Jack convinced me to agree. Or maybe he would just call Damon, who would terrify me into cooperating. Neither of those options sounded particularly appealing; they would both only delay the inevitable. So I took the only viable option available to me: I nodded my head.

"I need you to answer me verbally Carrie," Jack reminded me gently.

I took a deep breath and tried to steel my nerves. "Yes," I whispered.

Jack sat down on my bed but Dominic came and stood in front of me, placing his satchel on the ground. "Show me where the worst burns are," he commanded.

I placed my hand on my shoulder blade, on the outside of my shirt.

"Can you lift your shirt up for me so I can see?" He sounded impatient, like he had better things to be doing with his time than asking a traumatized teenager to do something completely obvious.

I shook my head. I couldn't bring myself to lift the shirt up and show him properly. It was just too much. The whole day was too much.

In the space of just a couple of days I'd become an orphan, flown halfway across the country to stay with my brothers that I'd forgotten even existed and could barely remember, stood almost naked in front of them as they'd looked at my injuries, been told off repeatedly for the tiniest of things, and had several panic attacks. Now I was being asked to be vulnerable in front of yet another stranger and I just couldn't do it. It was just too much.

I trusted Jack. I mostly trusted all my brothers, so far. But I didn't like or trust this doctor, and I couldn't bring myself to cooperate with him.

"No," I whispered. "I'm sorry."

Although I squished my eyes tightly shut, a lone tear escaped and trickled it's way down my cheek. Instantly Jack was on his feet and beside me, wrapping his arms around me, pulling me snug against his chest. My hands were trapped in front of me, pinned between my body and Jack's. I thought he was giving me a hug, but he clearly had an ulterior motive - holding me securely with one hand, he used his other to slide my shirt up my back. I froze, but I didn't protest.