Chapter 2

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience."
-- Julius Caesar

(edited by the amazing AkiMio)

(When Tiana was still 14)

Unknown P.O.V

I'm not fudging gay. I'm not. It's not like I have anything against them, I'm just not fudging gay. So why the heck am I mates with a dude? For the first time ever, I think the Moon Goddess has made a mistake.

But I won't reject him. I can't. I can't hurt him. What am I going to do? I don't know. I'm just as confused as he is. Why the heck do I have to be mates with Tate? Of all people.

Tiana's P.O.V (18 years old/today; near the end of the school year)

"Stupid sun. Why can't you just die already and destroy our planet? Then I would never have to get up on a Monday again," I groan to the light peeking through my black curtains. My room looks like it's been vomited on by the devil. Everything the eyes can see is black. Very fitting, for it matches the color of my soul.

Grudgingly, I stumble out of my bed and walk up to my black-painted, three-layered shelf. On the bottom are school books; in the middle are personal books that consist of dark poems and Satan worship -- things that I never touch. It's just for show, because I'm not really into that sort of thing, but it goes well with my image. Finally, on the top shelf are five mini globes of some of the few places I want to travel to one day. New York, the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, Mount Rushmore, and the White House. Each one a birthday present from my mother. The only person left who has any type of love for something like me.

My hand turns the knob to my small walk-in closet and I immediately notice a stranger in the mirror.

Bruises decorate her skin everywhere. No amount of makeup can hide it; physically and emotionally. The eyes staring back at me are a dead and lifeless green. The mess on top of her head that she considers hair has tangles and knots of red, tight curls. It can be mistaken for a bird's nest; she probably hasn't brushed through it in a while. Clothes hang loosely from her body; under the fabric, her skin is stretched over her ribs, while her stomach grumbles for food. The most prominent and disappointing feature of hers is the frown painted onto her face. No trace of happiness left.

This stranger has appeared to me every day since I was 14. I don't know this girl, but she looks just like me.

~~~

I don't greet anyone, because no one notices anyway.

"Lexus! Stop taking my pancakes!" Asher screams, running after his brother. He nearly knocks Zakia over.

"I downgh't khgusnjow wheyat yhdkohur tejsyalking ahbteofnfubt," Lexus says with a mouth full of Asher's pancakes. He swallows and smiles. "What pancakes?"

"Boys, just eat your food," Dad growls. Everyone knows not to mess with him before his morning coffee.

"Meanie," Asher grumbles before eating what's left on his plate.

"Baby," Lexus whispers back.

After everyone is almost done, they finally notice my presence.

"Eat," Lexus orders. Ever since he's turned 18, he acts more like an Alpha in preparation. Since the ceremony for everyone assuming their new role in the pack and the elders stepping down approaches, he's more annoying than ever.

"Not hungry," I numbly reply. Of course, right then, my stomach decides to growl. My brothers raise their eyebrows in unison, but I leave the room before anyone can say anything more.

I love my brothers and I know they love me too, but they aren't overprotective of me. Yes, they would all take a bullet for me, and they notice the bruises and believe every lie I tell them about where they come from. Most of them don't even make sense. My brothers trust me; they shouldn't.

Now outside the house, I walk up to my baby. Vyrus 987 C3 4V with a supercharged 1,200cc Ducati, produces 211 horsepower and weighs about 350 pounds. It's a pretty penny at 100K. Some wonder how I had gotten so much money -- robbed a bank? Hacked into someone's account? Nope. Since I was 14, I had submitted short stories to contests and have won the majority of them. Each grand prize ranged from five to ten thousand dollars. With the average of 25K a year, I was finally able to buy my true grand prize about a week ago on my birthday. The first real present I've gotten in forever. Besides the mini globes my mother gets me every year.

I get on my beautiful bike and ride to school, arriving ten minutes early. I go to my locker and then to the cafeteria, where all my "friends" meet before school.

The group is the same except for the fact that there are now three sophomores in our group.
Braoin, Cedron, and Deirdre. They're all quiet and don't really talk much.

Soon enough, it's time for school to start. Once I enter the classroom, the intercom comes on.

"Will Miss Tiana Richardson come down to the office please? Thank you!" I've never understood why they asked, because we don't really have a choice in the matter.

I know why I have to go down. I missed Friday because of Ryder. Passing period is over now and I really don't want to go into the empty halls. There's a good chance I'll get a beating if I'm not careful.

I basically sprint down to the office, and slow down when I turn the corner. I attempt to make my breathing steadier so not to make it look like I've just ran a mile.

I don't even need to tell the front desk I'm there, because Mrs. Melydice comes out and tells me to go to her office. She has a tight bun and is around fifty. According to my parents, she was around when they went to school here.

I sit down in the stiff, uncomfortable chair and waited. After a few minutes, she's in front of me. We go over the fact that I missed some class Friday. Like always, she lets me off the hook because she knows I'm a good student and would never do something wrong intentionally. This is how it usually goes. But the next thing she asks took me off guard.

"Is everything okay with you?"

I attempt to act as natural as possible without giving anything away.

"Yes. Of course. Why do you ask?"

"Every time I see you, you have a new bruise and a new excuse for it. People can be clumsy, sure, but I've never seen you fall on your face in the hall like you say you do, or run into a wall. I'm not suggesting anything, but you should know I'm always here, and the social workers are always here to talk if you need it."

I nod my head thanks before bolting out of there. That's probably the wrong move, but I'm too far gone to care.

Suddenly, I'm shoved into the janitor's closet and hear the door shut behind me. My heartbeat accelerates. This is how they always start. The beatings.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

"You worthless piece of shit." He spits on my face and slaps me. He's mad today, because normally he taunts me first. "Fat. Ugly. Bitch."

I stay quiet, knowing that it'll end sooner if I do.

A few more bruises added to my skin, and the deed has been done. The only reason he finishes is because of the bell, and passing period is the best time for his escape without being noticed.

Knight in shining armor, huh? The only thing I see is a vicious, merciless dragon out for blood that destroys anything and everything. My, my, what a wonderful mate indeed.

A/N:

Sorry it's late and sucks. I'm doing my best here. Just had a Quarterly and haven't check what I got on it. I probably will after I upload this. The quality will get better, I promise. We haven't even gotten to the dr...I won't spoil it for you. Hope you enjoyed, let's try for 1k? If we don't make it, that's fine since its in a 3 day period instead of 4. Goodbye fellow readers and have a wonderful Wednesday.

Remember the mini stories? Who would you like to be the next Conlan? Comment please!

Vote

Comment

Follow