ch. 24 - warm

'I love you with all my bruised heart,'

[Violet Trefusis]

><><

Adeline was sent to the hospital wing for the rest of the month after that day.

Although she hated it there, Addie agreed to stay. She wouldn't be missing much in class, after all, as exams were coming up (which she wouldn't be taking), though it pained her to see the look on Harry's face when she told him.

If Madame Pomfrey's predictions were correct, she only had one more month to live—and for her to be spending this month in the hospital wing just made it all too real for them all. It was hard not to count down the days—and as the sun set each day like a scythe, his heart broke more and more. Even when he tried to hide this, she saw it in his eyes every time their gazes met.

Despite literally dying and experiencing every ounce of her illness as her body weakened, Addie was in surprisingly good moods in the early weeks of June. She had decided not to think about the future, but just the small moments that made her chest all warm and fuzzy (most of which was with him). And although she had everyone come to visit many times, it was Harry who showed up the most and stayed the longest—even skipping many classes to spend the day with her.

Determined to spend as much time with Addie as he could, Harry visited her everyday to hang out. He used the time they had for revision to be with her for as long as he could before Madame Pomfrey would kick him out. Hermione, and Addie, did encourage him to try and complete some studying so he didn't fail all his classes and leave him screwed for next year's studies. Thereby, if he'd get to the hospital wing early and Addie would still be sleeping, he'd pull up a chair and do some reading or written work and wait for her to wake up, which was most days as she slept longer and longer.

He recognised she needed a lot more sleep than he did, and thereby offered to not visit her as often to give her space—though Addie had shaken her head almost immediately at this, because it wasn't space that she wanted. It was him.

Usually, Madame Pomfrey would never allow such frequent, long visits, but she was lenient in this case. She would only make him leave if it were for his own good, as she knew he'd skip every meal of the day if it meant just a couple more hours with Adeline. Aside from this, she'd let him stay longer than usual also because they both seemed more at peace when the other was there.

One of these times was when he, Ginny and Ron had visited her one morning to say hello before one of their quidditch matches, (Ginny smirked as Addie blushed at the sight of Harry in his quidditch gear). They'd already been late to the match, though Harry had insisted they drop in anyway, and though they were out the door again in under a minute after a kiss on the cheek from Harry and a quick conversation, it made her day.