| thirty six ; stay by your side

the shadow in the light

chapter thirty six; stay by your side

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

"you care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it."

─── 。゚☆: *. .* :☆゚. ───

the sky darkened into a gravel-grey as large pillows of clouds gathered. droplets of moisture began to drip down from the tips of leaves and were sprinkling onto the grass like a gardener's hose. hunters gathered together for the funeral of go gun-hee.

y/n knelt in front of the coffin that held gun-hee's body. hot tears streamed down her face, and she squeezed her eyelids shut in the hope that her tears would stop. but instead, it continued as she cried even harder. her choppy breathing and watery eyes remained as she sat there, unmoving.

jin-woo walked up to her, holding an umbrella that protected her from the rain. the sound of thunder was soon heard, drowning out y/n's sobs.

he knelt down to her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders, "they're going to bury him now. come on now, love."

y/n didn't have the strength to stand up so she instead leaned on jin-woo. he stood up, bringing her up with him. they took a few steps back, letting the men begin the burying process.

jin-woo placed his left hand on y/n's head as she hid in the crook of his neck, not wanting to watch the process. it pained her heart greatly.

when the process was completed, everyone bowed to the deceased gun-hee. people bowed to ji-eun as well, who stood at the very front.

"i apologise, hunter sung jin-woo, but could i talk to y/n for a moment?" ji-eun questioned.

jin-woo nodded his head, watching as ji-eun led y/n to a more quiet place. jin-woo remained at his spot, eyes locked onto the ground.

"mister sung jin-woo, are you alright?" the said man turned to his side, looking at the figure.

it was jin-chul, who looked like a completely different person. his hair was kept undone and he didn't have the chance to keep himself clean, hence the scruffy, unkempt beard.

"i apologise, hunter-nim. i haven't been myself lately," jin-chul said. "the monster that killed the chairman... was it impossible to kill, even with your power?"

"by the time y/n and i arrived, he had already..." jin-woo trailed off.

jin-chul sighed as he looked up to the sky, "it still doesn't feel real. just yesterday, he told me he wanted to hear of y/n and i's stay in the united states. he'd urged me to hurry back to the country... and now he's..."

jin-chul let out a sob before he quickly wiped away his tears, "thank you for being there for the chairman in his final moments."

jin-woo trailed his eyes to look at where y/n was. his heart ached when he saw her hugging gun-hee's wife, both shedding tears.

"i'll kill that bastard," he spoke with a newfound goal after he saw y/n like that. "i swear upon my life that i will kill the monster who killed the chairman. you can save your thanks until then."

jin-chul nodded his head and looked up at jin-woo, eyes widening a fraction when he saw a tear escaping his eye.

jin-woo looked at jin-chul, giving him a stern look. "could you organise a press conference for me?"