Chapter 33

There were two reactions I saw in the last chapter:

1) "Lmao."

2) "I will shove your keyboard down your throat until you shit out letters."

Love you guys, too <3

        Cage Vickers killed Micheal. His best friend for years, one of his most trusted associates. The man who loved watching Disney movies, the man who helped Cage through everything, the man who bought me Captain America stickers....dead. Cage didn't even blink when the bullet went off, his hands never shaking, as he aimed a gun at Micheal and shot him dead without even giving it a second thought. Micheal was as good as dead before Cage even pulled the trigger.

        Shock didn't even begin to describe what I was feeling. 

        I absolutely lost it.

        Kicking, screaming, crying...none of it helped. So I just stood there, my mind one big blank. I could feel the tears falling, I could see the clowns start looking around to find the source of the bullet, I could see Micheal's lifeless body bleeding out in the middle of the carnival. I could hear Nick speaking, a hand on my arm. And then all at once, my emotions took over.

        Bawling uselessly, I took a seat right on the ground and cried my eyes out. The fact that Micheal was gone was a fact that I desperately wanted to deny. However, I could not. I saw it with my own eyes, saw Cage kill Micheal. I saw the real Cage Vickers tonight.

        I heard my name being called, but it was just a low deep hum in the background. My world, as far as I was concerned, was gone with that one bullet. The clowns, finding nothing because we were so far away, gave up searching and left, taking Micheal with them.

        To them, he was just another body that was going to end up in the ocean tonight. To me, he was a friend. A friend that I made in four days, but I came to love Micheal like a brother. And to have him so abruptly taken, by Cage Vickers nonetheless, was painful.

        "November." The voice was right by my ear now. Fingers wrapped around my wrist and forced me to stand up, to see the man who could let his own friend die without giving it a single thought. In the darkness, I could only make out the basic outlines of his face but I knew every feature like it was the back of my hand, from the strict red lips to the cold green eyes. The carnival lights began to shut off simultaneously.

        The show was over.

        Micheal wasn't worth saving. His life had no value to Cage Vickers.

        Angry, I glared at Cage. My tears weren't going to bring Micheal back. "Collateral damage." I whispered, my voice cracking. Nick and Heath were watching us from a good distance away. If they were upset about Micheal, their faces didn't show it. 

        "No." Cage growled. "A sacrifice."

        ''Why did you kill him, Cage?" I shrieked. Without thinking, I punched him square in the jaw. The force of my impact did little to nothing. He didn't even stumble back because my punch was so weak. In fact, I think my hand hurt more than his jaw did. Cage closed his eyes and exhaled sharply, but there was no consequence to my action. "What reason could justify that? Why, Cage? Why did you have to kill- why?" My throat choked up and I couldn't speak anymore. 

        Cage wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me close. I was too weak to fight out of it. Taking deep shuddering breaths, I kept my hands at his chest so there was still some distance between us. Cage breathed deeply. "I had to."