Chapter 5 - A New Face

Fighting the skeleton man wasn't a fun experience, but at least I came out of it ok. Probably. It also hammered in the fact that I'm still weak straight into my head. I'm not ready for U.A., and I've only got 9 months left before the entrance exam. I've started cleaning Dagobah Beach under All Might's supervision, but he's going to have to find that other candidate for One For All soon, so he won't be around forever. I'll need to take my training into my own hands, and luckily, gym memberships aren't too expensive.

"That'll be 4500 yen"

I handed the money over and walked into the gym.

It wasn't a very big gym, but it was close by, so it was the best option. Not many people were here, so I don't have to worry about people making fun of the quirkless kid. Not until I can build up some more confidence, at least.

After a row of exercise machines I didn't know the name of, there was a simple dumbbell rack. The weights ranged from 3 pounds to 50, and it's pretty obvious I won't be touching the higher end for a long time, if ever.

Cleaning the beach has built a little more muscle, but I'm still pretty scrawny, so I'm gonna start light. I picked up a 10-pound dumbbell, and it felt surprisingly light, a lot lighter than I was expecting. After killing the skeleton man, everything has felt a little bit lighter for some reason. I'm not quite sure why, but I'll take it.

After a few minutes of using the 10-pounders, I felt really underwhelmed. It wasn't making me put in as much effort as I had hoped it would, so I switched it out for some 15-pounders. Still not quite as much as I had hoped it would be. I grabbed the 20-pound dumbbells, and they were just enough. Before I could start using them however...

"What the fuck are you doing here?"

Oh. Oh no.

I slowly turned my head, and sure enough, Kaachan was there. Why, why did I have to choose the exact gym that he uses, stupid stupid-

"Are you seriously trying to train yourself? I already told you what would happen if you even thought of applying to U.A., and well..."

Smoke rose from his hands as he leaned in closer.

"This looks a lot like thinking about it to me."

Oh crap oh crap what do I do what do I do-

"Hehe, n-no, I wasn't thinking of ap-plying to U.A. Kaachan, I was j-just-"

"Wipe that stupid nervous bullshit off your face! Now hand me the 25s and get the FUCK OUT!"

He's angry, HE'S REALLY ANGRY, I-I NEED TO- no, remember, confidence. You're stronger now Izuku, you fought the skeleton man and won, you can do this...

"G-grab them yourself..."

His expression went from his normal angry to a quiet rage.

"What did you just say, Deku?"

Stay calm stay calm

"I said, grab them yourself. A-and I'm not leaving."

He stared me dead in the eyes for what felt like hours, but was probably only seconds.

And then he laughed.

"Hehe... Hahaha! Finally decided to grow a pair, huh shitstain? Well, too damn bad. Because if you don't run with your tail between your legs within the next 10 seconds, I'LL BLAST THEM RIGHT OFF!"

"Quiet down in there!"

The front desk guy yelling at him quieted him down. Guess he didn't think I was worth losing his membership over.