twenty nine

Three months at the palace passed without trouble and Choi Jangmi found herself enjoying her new life as an Empress. Not only did she love the boys who made her feel comfortable and happy, but she was also falling very much for her husband, a man whom she had feared since their interaction at the palace, what felt like so many years ago.

It was safe to say that the Emperor and his Empress were growing closer as it was discussed within the servants that he was softer around her, a tsundre. It was no longer surprising to see him accompanying her on her inspection of the Royal Gardens, quietly processing hanbok designs for her to wear, or simply gazing at her with the most lovesick look in his eyes.

Everyone in the palace knew that they had fallen for each other, apart from the pair.

And they knew that if anyone was to take her away from him, he would slaughter ten of their generations.

...

It was a bloodcurdling scream that had awoken the palace in such a fright. The guards' cries of both terror and anger initiated the seven men to grab their own weapons and rush to the scene of chaos.

"What's going on?" Taehyung gritted his teeth at the sight of several corpses on the ground, their blood a symbol of revenge from the rebels.

"We've been ambushed!" Jungkook's blade was glistening in blood as he and his six brothers stood side by side, the rebels launching themselves towards them only to meet their end.

By the end of it, all seven had their faces covered in blood, scars and scratches littered their arms, but they knew it was not over.

"Wait," Yoongi's strangled voice earned him the attention of the men. "Where - where is the Empress?"

A shot of realisation hit all seven men as their minds sprung back to the feminine scream that had started this war. It couldn't be...

"She's got to be here," Hoseok shoved the oldest out of the way as he jogged towards the rooms. "There's no way that they took her,"

And so a search began throughout the palace, looking for Jangmi whose traces seemed to have vanished, as though she had never existed in the first place. 

"Jangmi!" Yoongi had never felt so much pain in his entire life. Perhaps she was concealing herself from the enemy. "Jangmi, please, it's safe!"

But he received no answer and collapsed on his knees, his head hanging low.

They had taken his Jangmi.

He had failed to protect the one he loved.