118-120

Chapter 118 - I Know What is Going Through You and Your Mother's Mind (1)

Even though Li ShiZe has been in distress for a while when he was low on capital at the beginning, his stress had been lightened significantly after the injection of capital from the Deng's, especially when his relationship with his father had recently warmed up again. Even though his dad didn't help him with capital, he was able to network and helped him get some orders.

Just when things were about to get on track, all of a sudden, a few companies that were going to work with him had changed their stance.

After receiving a few phone calls like that back to back over the course of a few days, Li ShiZe felt like a bucket of cold water had been poured down over him. He felt both angry and at loss. What had gone wrong?

Li ShiZe had a few friends as well, so he reached out to them directly.

Once he found out what had happened, he almost smashed his cellphone. He never would have thought that what happened between Jiang YaGe and himself would be made so public and that the words were spread from Sun Mei no less.

If his mother hadn't told, how else would Sun Mei have found out?

At that very moment, he felt hatred toward Fang JunRong. Must she go that far? She just couldn't have left him alone?

After his anger subsided and he had calmed down, he realized that had his mother wanted to spread the words, she would have done it a long time ago. He knew his own mother pretty well. Something must have happened recently that had prompted it.

He asked around again and finally found out that it all started with Deng Lan's mother. She started telling her friends over mahjong how cold his mother was and how she had played favoritism with her children, which prompted Sun Mei to defend his mother.

Li ShiZe ran his fingers through his hair. The veins on his hands throbbed.

He suddenly realized what it was like to be hit by friendly fire. He hadn't expected the Deng's to offer him too much help; he only hoped that they wouldn't make matters worse. And they couldn't even do that. The thought of matters between himself and YaGe becoming topics of gossip for others was unsettling to him.

He did not believe that he and YaGe had done anything wrong. If he must say anything, it was that his attitude was too strong against his mother and that he should never have let Wang SiXian move into his house.

He felt very irritated and was in no mood to pour over the documents on his desk that needed his attention. He just plopped down into his office chair.

"ShiZe, I am here," came Deng Lan's cheerful voice along with the sound made by her heels. Li ShiZe looked up and saw the thermos in her hands and that bright smile on her face. "I've made you some chicken broth today. Would you like to try some?"

Li ShiZe looked up at her and said coldly, "Your mother had been yakking out there. Was that your idea?"

He looked so angry that Deng Lan was frantic all of a sudden. She bit her lip and said, feeling unjust, "She just felt bad for you! She couldn't believe how much your mother leans toward Li XinYun and didn't care about you at all. She was only speaking up for you."

Deng Lan only knew that her mother had been badmouthing Fang JunRong over her mahjong games, but she didn't know that the rumors had already been replaced with a set of new ones. Truth was, Deng Lan didn't feel that her mother had done anything wrong. Fang JunRong was being very unreasonable. She had never paid her son any attention ever since the divorce but doted on that useless daughter of hers.