forty five.

CHAPTER FORTY FIVE
first rehearsal

Tiana

next day

Tiana, Jamal, and Hakeem, were making their way to Club Nirvana because today was the first rehearsal for their new song Beautiful. Tiana was a little nervous because Becky seemed really hype about this. She said she had the perfect visual for the song, and Tiana was scared to hear what it was.

Becky was very...imaginative.

Tiana also felt bad being there when Royalty was at home, scared out of her mind. Blake tried to kill her yesterday, and he killed all of Lucious' security. But they unfortunately couldn't think about that right now. They had to focus. 

"What do you think Becky's visual is?" Tiana asked them.

Jamal said, "I just know she's gonna have us doing something crazy."

They walked into the club after that, and Becky instantly greeted them. "Oh! Tiana, Jamal, and Hakeem! I'm glad you three made it!"

"Didn't have a choice," Hakeem replied.

"Yeah, you didn't."

Jamal questioned her. "Alright, Becky. You said you had this amazing visual. What is it?"

"Okay, I know this sounds crazy...but you two are kinda gonna be competing for Tiana's heart."

The three of them looked at her in disbelief. "What?"

"Tiana has to choose one of you at the end," Becky quickly added.

Jamal wasn't having it. "Alright, Becky-"

Becky spoke pleadingly. "Look, I know it sounds crazy, but it matches the lyrics, okay? It'll be great!"

Tiana shrugged. "The fans will probably love it."

"They will!"

Jamal shook his head. "This is so beyond raggedy."

Tiana hit him. "Be nice, Jamal. I think it's a cute little idea. What about you, Hakeem?"

"I don't even care."

Jamal couldn't believe that. "What do you mean? You want us fighting over your girl?"

"It's fake, Jamal. And you're gay, so I have nothing to worry about. So let's do this."

Becky clapped excitedly. "Yes! Okay, get on the stage. Tiana's in the center, Hakeem's on the left, and Jamal's on the right."

They obeyed her.

Becky spoke to someone else. "Dana, you can come in now!"

A woman that they'd never seen before came in cheerfully. "Who's that?"

"Your choreographer," Becky told them.

"I am honored to be teaching the Lyons and the superstar herself!" Dana chirped.

Tiana smiled at her. "We are honored to have you here. So where do we begin?"

Hakeem put his hand up. "Can we start with my part?"

Jamal disagreed. "We should start in order."

Hakeem whined. "Come on! My part makes up the whole song!"

Dana gave in. "Sure, Hakeem. We can start with your part. You're actually gonna be at the back of the stage when the song starts, sitting on the stairs. The lights are gonna be dimmed, so the audience won't see you until your part comes."

"Okay." Hakeem went to the back of the stage.

Dana nodded in approval. "Right. You're gonna sit there in your feelings as you rap your first verse. When it gets to the part where you mention you're a Lyon, I want you to make your way down the stage while rapping emotionally."

"And I want you to come up with your own choreography, Hakeem. Just do what ever matches the words you're saying," Dana added. She looked at the lyrics now. "So, let me see. One of your lyrics says, 'if you look up, you'll probably see me flying.' So just do flying motions with your arms."

Hakeem understood. "I see. I see. You know what? I got this."

Dana played the music and Hakeem got into position. He sat down on the stairs and rapped his verse emotionally like he was supposed to. Then he slowly stood up while saying, "100! Here we go!" Now he made his way down the stage like Dana wanted, and he was staying low to the floor. He rapped to the empty audience while making his movements match what he was saying.

Hakeem did flying motions with both of his arms like Dana had suggested, while backing up to Tiana. He rapped directly to her.

HAKEEM :

It's kinda funny how life goes
Cause me and you were such a light show
But then the power got cut-

Hakeem stopped rapping and spoke to Dana. "Aye Dana, do you think we can have a bunch of lights display above us, and then cut them off once I say the power got cut?"

Dana was impressed. "Wow. That's actually a dope idea."

That was a really dope idea. Tiana was impressed too.

Hakeem finished his verse and Dana said, "Alright, after Hakeem's verse is the chorus. Tiana is gonna be in the center, and Jamal and Hakeem are gonna be on each side of her, but slightly behind. You're all going to be doing the same choreography that I'm about to teach you."

Jamal spoke. "What about after the chorus? Because afterwards is a long pause. There's no words being said; just the instrumental playing."

"I was thinking for that part, you guys could rock left to right."

Hakeem had another suggestion. "I got something to add too."

"What?"

Hakeem just said, "Play it back." Dana played the chorus part, and the long instrumental pause was playing. Hakeem decided to add some speech in as they all rocked left to right. And he was talking to Tiana.

He literally said, "Who's gonna hold you at night now, baby?" Tiana and Jamal looked at him confused. Tiana responded by looking at Jamal, since they were supposed to be fighting for her love or whatever. So Hakeem grilled Jamal up and down and said, "Not like me."

Jamal burst out laughing like no tomorrow. Hakeem was annoyed. "Really, Jamal?"

Jamal was dying. "I'm sorry, you're gonna add that in?"

"Yes. It fits."

Jamal laughed some more, and Becky was ticked off too. "What's so funny?"

Jamal couldn't control himself. "I'm sorry. I've just never seen Hakeem act so much in his life."

Hakeem scowled. "It's not acting to me. I really feel this way."

"Well, it's 100% acting on my end."

"Yes it is acting, so can you please get into character like Hakeem?" Becky hissed.

Jamal stopped his laughter and promised to cooperate, but every time they got to that part, he kept bursting out laughing. It got so bad to the point where Dana got annoyed and ended rehearsal early. She told them to come back tomorrow since Jamal couldn't keep it together.

Becky was mad. "See what you did? You made Dana leave!"

Jamal was still laughing. "I'm sorry! This is comical as hell! This whole thing is!"

"I'm so not offended."

Jamal got off stage and hugged Becky. "I'm sorry. I promise I'll control myself tomorrow."

"You better!"

Jamal promised some more and then left. Becky looked at Hakeem and Tiana. "Well, I guess you two can leave too. Rehearsal is canceled for the day."

God damn it, Jamal.