Chapter 20

"Catch him!!! Butler!!! Get ahold of him!! MASON!!!"

The wheelchair flipped several times separating itself from Mason. Jadon hurried downstairs to grab him but was too surprised to react quickly. His actions were indecisive and slow, whereas Maximus darted before Jadon, getting a hold of the larger wheelchair first and moving it out of the way to the other side so it doesn't fall on Mason again.

A disturbing sound came from Mason, clearly indicating his pain.

"Errrghhh..... ah...."

Mikhail who witnessed Mason falling the moment he stepped in had much faster reflexes. He came upstairs running and secured Mason in his arms. But unable to maintain his balance stably, he tripped and fell with Mason till the end of the stairs.

Startled, Mason took a few seconds to take in the events that occurred. Then he anxiously questioned his brother about his injuries in a soft low voice but Mikhail who had a younger brother to take care of, questioned him back without thinking much about himself. The battlefield was a far more dangerous cry for him than a small fall but it wasn't like that for Mason who had a broken leg and was only 12, he thought.

"Bro-brother, a-are you al-right???.."

"MASON! Where does it hurt??? Tell me honestly!!! SOMEONE CALL THE PHYSICIAN! IMMEDIATELY! NURSE, COME DOWNSTAIRS."

"Second b-brother, I'm- I'm... s-sorry...."

"Mason! The side of your head! You're hurt and bleeding here... WHERE ARE THE DAMN NURSES? AREN'T ONE OF THEM SUPPOSED TO BE WITH MASON ALL THE TIME!"

"Mason, son, your leg, is it painful?", Maximus interrupted.

"I'm s-sorry, really r-really sorry."

As the nurses rushed over while Mikhail applied pressure to his head injury with his handkerchief, Maximus held Mason's leg and keenly observed him.

After taking care of Mason for a while, he had grasped on the fact that Mason was never honest about his pain or discomfort. He would always say that he was okay and just try to sleep it off. Thus, the only way to know if Mason was truly alright was to look at his natural facial expressions.

Mason was still in a daze. His eyebrows scrunched due to his unclear vision and hearing and the numbing pain from his broken leg. The last person he saw clearly was Mikhail but after that he just felt nauseous and dizzy.

He could hear muffled voices and knew that people were talking to him but couldn't comprehend their words.

Eventually, he rested his head on Mikhail's shoulder and was ready to pass out. But the people around him kept talking and patting him, telling him to stay awake. Why should he stay awake? Why can't he just sleep?...Forever?

"It's okay, bud. It's all going to be fine. Just stay awake. Mason.", said Maximus in a gentle but stern voice.

"Let me go. I want to see mom", tears dripped down Mason's face as he said this. His voice was very soft but everyone near him could hear him as clear as day.

Mason wanted to see his mom who was dead. There was nothing more terrifying than that that Maximus had heard in a long while. His heart beat violently in trepidation.

"Mason, y-you can't. You can't see your mother yet. You can't. Your m-mother will be very upset. Yeah.... she must be crying right now from above. Don't say that please."

"Eomma.... Appa.... please.. take me with you please.... I don't wanna be left alone please.... please..... it hurts... everything hurts please....."

The mumbles of Mason, broke Maximus's heart into a million pieces for the millionth time. Eventhough he didn't understand a few words in the beginning, it was evident that Mason was not in a good state of mind. Mason missed his mother, the mother whom he had never seen in his entire life except in paintings.

"I'm so sorry, Mason. Sorry. Please.", Maximus whispered to himself.

A fever broke out once again and Mason started burning up. The half conscious kid laid his head on Mikhail's shoulder and began to snooze off. His grip on Mikhail's clothes felt like he was holding on to his very last hope.

Maybe he will give it a one last go. A one last chance in life.

........................

Cheryl and Chelsea Aheizer were what the sisters were called. They sat next to their Uncle Lucas and stared at the four males in front of them. They weren't intimidated by their tall figures at all.

The battlefield had already showed them what true fear is at such a tender age. They had no parents and grew up with their uncle who was the First Class General and the strongest person in the kingdom right now. With battle scars all over him and a rock like body, only their uncle was enough to scare the four men in front of them.

"The Rodolite family welcomes Sir Aheizer and the two young ladies from the Aheizer family.", said Myles with a forced smile.

"I am glad to see that Mason will have some playmates now. Since there is a big age gap between the three big brothers and Mason, it has always been kind of awkward between them. Hopefully the children get along well with Mason", said Maximus with a distracted expression. He was much concerned about Mason who was asleep in his room right now and wanted to go back and take care of him.

Sir Lucas made a sarcastic remark with a stoic expression and in a cold voice, staring at the Rodolites intently,"I bet they would get along well since they are not children that would hurt another innocent child.... unlike some other people here" his gaze was transparently accusing them of child abuse.

"How is the child?", Sir Lucas asked plainly this time.

"He..... he fell down from the stairs yesterday."

Sir Lucas's taunting eyes turned ice cold now. If eyes could kill, there wouldn't be a single Rodolite alive except for Mason.

.............................

A/N - Belated Merry Christmas to my Dear Readers <3

Thank you for your sweet wishes uwu. I finally updated without messing up this time, so proud of myself lol.

Btw I can't believe we have reached more than 100K reads T-T .... Thank you and love you guys so friggin' much <3