Chapter 18: Forbidden Fun

Okay, I'll be honest. I had the most boring time ever this first day of canoeing. Do you guys sometimes have that feeling that you've been doing something for millions of years when you've only been doing it for ten minutes because you're so bored? Sure you do. That's how I felt that day. I mean, one of the biggest factors that contributed to my boringness was the fact that I didn't want to be there. I paddled like a baby. Now, I knew I was better than that, but in my mood, I didn't bother to try it. Already, we were in pretty deep water in the middle of the lake, and all I saw were trees, trees, and more trees. Yeah, there was an island or two as well, but to me, it was just more trees. At least out here I didn't have to wear my bug net. I just stuffed it under my seat.

Soon after we left the boat landing, I, already tired of the trip, peered back and saw that Uncle Bart was checking the map again. Seriously, he didn't have to check it every five minutes! We knew where we were going!

Uncle Bart soon looked up, and his eyes landed on a small island not far from us. "What do you know?" he asked, "There's a campsite on that island."

I gasped, "Really?!" and I jerked my head in the direction of the island. You can guess what I did next. That's right... I begged Camp Juniper to camp there instead of on Red Squirrel Lake.

Dad simply yelled, "We've only been canoeing for half an hour, Kylie!" at me. You see, that's what I mean by when I say it feels like it's been a million years when it's only been a short amount of time. That's how bored I was.

I scoffed and mumbled to myself. Another boat whizzed by us, and I waved for it to come back, but it never did. We went over some waves, and I started to sweat. Waves! What if it wasn't just the boat that created them? After going over the waves, I heard something to the left of me. Turning my head, I noticed that Uncle Clement, Aunt Jessie, and Uncle Macon were passing us.

Uncle Clement called to me, "Hey, Kylie Wylie, have some fun! Grow to like this place!" He was in the stern of the Sawyer, and I noticed that he was dragging his fishing line in the water behind him. Uncle Clement always did this. He always dragged his fishing line behind. I doubted that there were any fish in this park. I was sure the Ghost of Ontario killed them all.

Dad had my Frisbee, and while we canoed, he tossed it back and forth from canoe to canoe. Everybody else was having a blast. I could also hear music. Uncle Clement dragged his fishing line, Dad tossed the Frisbee, and Uncle Macon played music from his iPhone. This was forbidden fun to me. How dare Camp Juniper have fun in my presence when clearly a ghost was on the loose! Dad soon tossed the Frisbee to Uncle Clement, and he caught it. "Yo, Macon, Clement, and Jessie!" he called to the Sawyer, and he pointed at another island further away, "Let's have a race to that island over there!" The island was teeny. It only had six trees.

Noticing it, Uncle Clement smiled and called, "Oh you are so on, Azul!" He, Aunt Jessie, and Uncle Macon started to paddle as fast as they could towards the island, and Dad, Mom, and Aunt Jessie soon joined them. We watched as they raced. Uncle Bart, Aunt Lydia, and Uncle Harrison cheered the two canoes on. I didn't cheer. I rolled my eyes. This was nothing but childish behavior. Uncle Clement's fishing lure bounced in and out of the water like a dolphin as he canoed.

They soon passed Dad, Mom, and Aunt Delia's canoe, and Uncle Macon called, "So long, Azul!" Since they were in the Sawyer, they of course won the race.

They reached the island of six trees, and Uncle Clement lifted his paddle high over his head, yelling, "We win!" Dad, Mom, and Aunt Delia soon reached them, out of breath, and with the help of a sudden gust of wind, I heard Dad.

"Yeah, we lost. Whew." They waited for us to catch up, and to kill some time, snapped some photos.

        Behind, Uncle Bart asked, "Do you want to try paddling as fast as we can, Kylie Wylie?"