CHAPTER FOUR

The next day, everything was the closest to normal they could get, except he had no detention. So while the day passed by normally, he actually sat with Fitz and Biana- unfortunately. Biana was okay, just annoying sometimes.

Seriously, does she have to be glued to her brother's side all the time? And even if she didn't know it, she was kind of mean to people that might be prettier than her.

What does she think of Foster?

Keefe didn't know about siblings, but Biana was the closest thing to a little sister he had, so he would try to protect her almost as much as Fitz. Not quite there yet though. Like, can't she and her friends just sit on their own table? There's plenty of empty ones.

Speaking of which, he hoped Foster didn't sit at an empty table alone. If she did, that would be bad, but Keefe would invite her to sit with them.

Unfortunately but also fortunately, Sophie sat with a girl named Marella. She was the source of many rumors- and caused them to spread like wildfire. But now Keefe couldn't invite her to sit with them- Marella was NOT someone you'd want to mess with- even if you aren't messing with her. Fitz followed his gaze to where Keefe was looking.

"Yeah, I don't know why she didn't sit with us, but it's fine. She has people to help her. People that are actually in her year." Fitz said

"Oh- cool. But I don't see why I couldn't play Base Quest on Sunday- you were at home!"

"First of all, how did you get to that topic? And second, it's only ONE day. We've played base quest about a thousand times since then."

"Yeah, okay, whatever." Keefe answered.

He still wished Fitz could have played base quest- He could've met Foster and taught her how to play, if she had stayed with them that first night.

He really, really, really, wanted to meet Sophie, but maybe this whole year will pass by and still wouldn't have at least said hi. That couldn't happen. He wanted to meet her at least once- Maybe get a few answers.

***************

On Wednesday, he had the best schedule he could wish for- Empathy with Sir Deelay(Who's name sounded really, really, really weird because if you cut his name in half and flip it around, you get Laydee..so uh.. yeah), lunch, and the Universe with Lady Belva.

Keefe loves everything about Wednesdays. Empathy is probably the only class he likes, and The Universe is easy with photographic memory- plus, it's easy to ditch since it's always taught in the dark.

Already planning on ditching the Universe, he was certain today was going to be a good day.

Today in Empathy, though, Sir Deelay was very serious- not the usual, "Wow, your empathy is so strong, high five!" His lesson was, for once, about his own feelings.

"Hey Keefe," He greeted when Keefe walked in. "I have a really important lesson for this morning."

"Cool. What is it?"

"I might as well just start now, to answer your question. You know how I'm always telling you your Empathy is very strong?" Keefe nodded as he took a seat.

"With empathy that strong, there's a risk that comes with it. Your mind's natural reaction is to shut down when things get too intense. Unfortunately for Empaths, everything is intense. So if you feel too much and aren't trained right, your mind and feelings can shut down. You become numb- unfeeling." Keefe's eyes widened.

"You can still feel what others are feeling, but you won't feel anything yourself. It can mess everything up, because emotions overlap when you don't know the thoughts and memories that triggered them. Have you ever felt anyone's emotions when they were super angry?" He asked.

Keefe nodded, for once paying attention to the class, which he never did. To be honest, this was pretty scary, considering he's been able to sense emotions better and better each day. Especially with Sophie, who he couldn't understand. Why could he feel her emotions?

"It's very similar to if someone is very giddy, correct? In it's basest essence- they both give you a burst of adrenaline. They both make your heart race and cause shivers." Keefe nodded again. "You only notice the bigger differences when you take the time to figure out why you're feeling it." Keefe nodded- once again. "You've got to be careful, Keefe, promise me."

"Okay. I promise." He said. There was no way he'd let that happen. How would he ever enjoy pranking people?

"Thank you. Now I'm going to have you practice exercises that allow you to calm down- feeling emotions is hard, so the best feeling is peace. You're in control."

"So, you know the new girl everyone is talking about?"

Sir Deelay looked confused. Keefe didn't usually talk about anything but empathy in this class. "Why.. yes. I do."

"I can feel her emotions without contact. Do you know why?"

"I've never heard of an empath doing such a thing. How wonderful. Your empathy must be really strong."

The rest of the class passed by quickly- and by the end, Keefe definitely felt better about all his conflicting feelings, since feeling too much of his own and too much of the others was bad.

"Hey." He said to Fitz at the lunch line.

"Hey." Fitz greeted "How was empathy?"

"Intense and un-intense- It's very weird. You wouldn't get it, Mr. I can tell you what you're thinking right now! And now! And now!"

"You don't know that, Mr. I keep laughing and crying at the same time!"

"Okay, well, if I laugh and cry at the same time too much, I might never feel another emotion again." Keefe rolled his eyes. "Of course the ability I get is dangerous."

"Okay, now I can't argue against that," Fitz replied. "That could seriously happen to you?"

"Yeah." Keefe said, and he could tell that Fitz wanted him to explain more, but he stayed silent.

He had detention today- he had tripped a girl named Lilia who was very annoying. She deserved it, but he got punished. And Keefe was pretty sure the mentors didn't like her either- they all looked at each other and rolled their eyes after she yelled, "MY MOTHER WILL HEAR ABOUT THIS!" Igorna Higgles was only a regent- she didn't have that much power, but still.

Anyway, Keefe hoped it went into his detention files, but he was pretty sure Alina stopped that for a little bit because he showed too much excitement when she mentioned it.

***************

Detention was led by Sir Donwell, where he read the prodigies classic dwarven poems. That was maybe one of the most boring things he's been through and he slept throughout the entire thing.

Finally, it was time for The Universe. As soon as Lady Belva turned around to point at stars and name them, Keefe just left the room and went to his ditching spot, making sure he had prattles in his pocket. 

 Cool, I have more than 1000 words. Of boringness. I can't wait until I finish properly copy and pasting all 6 chapters. I can finally add action into Keefe's life. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'll TRY to post a new chapter every Sunday.

~Zara