Chapter 42: Etin's On A Revenge Streak

"Dummy thick, and nothing more" Is my new favorite line.

Norah

Norah walked through the cabin halls. Vaella was mercifully nowhere to be seen and Norah was in no mood for a lecture.

    She ventured into the living room, scanning past the sofa and tables to the TV. With the cabin's magical electricity, connecting their technology was a puzzle Norah left Milo to figure out. They didn't quite have Wi-Fi, but Milo was able to set up a hotspot which allowed them subscription shows and movies. They still couldn't contact the outside world, though. It was like a bubble and Norah wondered if Vaella's barrier encasing the cabin helped with that.

    There was a sharp hiss of pain, followed by a curse from the hallway.

    Norah walked toward it, following down the line of rooms. She met a door and knocked with a single knuckle.

    "Come in."

    Norah entered, glancing around the lavish room. Everything was crisp and neat lines. Modern but not overly expensive looking. There were shelves with pictures of people Norah didn't know. A closet full of clothes and a white dresser across from the giant bed stacked with blankets and too many pillows.

    She followed the light into the bathroom, finding Nev braced against the shower wall. Blood streaked down her leg, even as Milo poured cleaning solution down the wound. The cut was clean, running from the top of her thigh and down diagonally. It was deep; if Riveta were here she would be recommending stitches.

    Nevaeha had her hands pressed against the wall, all her weight on her good leg while the other was stuck out behind her, bleeding.

    The pair froze, eyeing her like they got caught stealing priceless jewelry.

    "How are you feeling?" Milo asked slowly.

    "Slept like the dead," Norah replied.

    Neither of them smiled.

Dagen would have.

    "I can take over," Norah said.

    Milo wet his lips, sharing a worried look with Nevaeha. But it was Norah, so he stood, making sure Nevaeha was secured before doing so. "She's just trying to help," she murmured as he passed.

    Norah stared at Nevaeha, standing in the doorway as Milo left.

    Like the rest of Nevaeha's room, the shower was straight out of a home magazine. With dark tiles and shiny marble walls and black shower fixtures, the bathroom was beautiful.

    She could guess what Nevaeha was thinking by the words Milo left her.

    "I'm here to heal your leg," Norah said, closing the glass door behind her. "Are you alright with that?"

    Nevaeha weighed the options, but found none of them would do her any good. She nodded once.

    Norah dropped into a crouch, examining the wound up close. There were pieces of dirt wedged between the skin, not something Norah could heal away or destroy without causing unnecessary pain.

    She took the brown bottle of cleaning solution, shifting into a better position. "It's going to hurt."

    Nevaeha braced herself, burying her face into her elbow. Her breathing shook.

    Norah tugged at the wound, pulling it apart and pouring the solution down Nevaeha's leg before she could so much as gasp.

    She groaned, clenching her hands into ghostly white fists. Her entire body went rigid, veins bulging along her neck and temple.