Vol. Two Ch. Ten: Holed Up

~Third Person~

"And one day, I promise you, you'll understand what it means to-"

Eery silence filled the night as a now sleeping (Y/N) laid in a sleeping bag not too far away from the campfire to stay warm. However, that voice just heard? It was odd and warming. Much like the fire nearby. As for Port, he too laid nearby in a bag of his own that was just a bit farther than (Y/N)'s bag. Yet they also slept with their weapons at the ready just in case. However, nothing could truly prepare them for what they heard next. The pop of a gun. A pop that made both of them shoot up from their sleeping bags and point their weapon's in every direction.

The Pilot of whom would take the first course of action by grabbing a nearby rock and toss it into the green as he stood up. When nothing occurred, Port would stand up and look the other direction as he squinted his eyes. The two would meet each other half-way as they kept their wits about them.

"Beacon?"

"No. I have a communication device that will let out a tone when a Beacon Academy Pick-up crew is near..."

"Other Huntsmen?"

"How about others in general?"

Taking Port's words into deep consideration, the Pilot would let out a low growl as he thought about the White Fang being here in the woods. Although, that came second after a more...likely enemy. IMC. Yet, they had seen no sign of them since they arrived so, he was skeptical if it were IMC or not.

"What are we doing, Professor?"

"Investigate, of course. Although, we stick together. For Grimm are most active at night. Onwards!"

Now walking off towards the direction the gunfire had come from, the Pilot took a final glance at Athena as he knew it would just be him this time around. Alongside Port yet, the absence of Athena made it feel like an absence of everyone else. Still, a mission needed to be done so, he turned and promptly jogged to catch up with the Professor...

~First Person~

Fucking gunfire in the middle of bum fuck nowhere. If that isn't suspicious at all? Then I can adamantly say Weiss is cheating. Hm. Putting that thought away with a shake of my head, I held my Mastiff at the ready as the Professor had Blowhard at his hip. That's when another gunfire crack rang yet, it was followed by several other cracks that were intertwined. Controlled fire...Fuck me if I haven't heard it before.

Coming across one of the many cages we had laid out since our arrival here, there was a blatant and obvious lack of angry Grimm inside. All that was there was a small pile of ashes that told us exactly what happened to this Grimm that was inside. Port would walk up to the cage and lay a hand upon one of the bars with a soft touch.

"Grimm...they may be bile creatures yet, any caged creature that has its life taken away whilst still inside? That is no death for any creature. Even those without souls..."

Yikes...Seeing and hearing how soft he spoke made me feel a small twinge in my heart. A prisoner of war may be the opposing side yet, they are still a prisoner with rights to how they want to leave. Looking around, I found a casing that I immediately recognized given the compact yet, chunky feel of the weight it carried. Something Port noticed as he looked at me with a raised eyebrow before approaching me with a squint.

"Brass casing...? Odd. Such an unconventional type of ammunition..."

"If I remember correctly, Remnant switched to dust rounds due to their overall ignition powder material abundance, right?"

"Correct. And because conventional bullets tend to have more...lethal repercussions."

Lethal. Could explain how my bullets pierce right through aura...Even here, my ammunition is a war crime. Greeeaaat...Dropping the casing, I turned to Port as he began to take point again as even more gunfire rang out. Alongside some distance muffled yells as he turned to me with a small raise of his eyebrow. Nodding towards him, I soon took point as we went in the general direction of the audio with no plan in particular. Although, it was probably along the lines of "Find who did this, Call Beacon."