Eleven: Problems, Prom, and Confessions.

~Chandler~

April 18, 2012

From the window of my room, I watched the Clark’s take pictures of Nikki and Page. I smiled, admiring how beautiful Nikki looks. Her black dress looked amazing against her fair skin. Not to mention how well it showed off her curves. I clenched my jaw in envy of my player of a cousin, Page. He’s known how I’ve felt about Nikki for years, yet he went after her anyway. Page took full advantage of the situation, knowing I wasn’t going to say a thing about my feelings until she turned 18. Of course he stepped in the way. He hasn’t changed at all.

“See something out there you fancy?” Clair said from behind me, a smile clear in her voice.

I looked over my shoulder, giving her a light smile before turning back to the window. I refuse to miss another second of Nikki’s life. I’ve missed far too much already. “She looks amazing. You did a very good job today, Clair. Thank you.”

“No need to thank me. I didn‘t do it for you, Love.” she said, laughing as she came to stand next to me in the window. “She’s my friend too. And hopefully she will be for a while.”

I smiled, lightly taking her hand. “Thank you anyway.”

She dropped my hand to touch my cheek with a small smile. “You’re welcome.”

My smile faded as my head snapped back to the window. I’d heard Nikki yell something. “What the hell…” I mumbled under my breath as I saw Page carrying a laughing Nikki bridal style to his car. I frowned, my fist clenching as the son of a bitch actually looked into the window and smirked at me as he walked to the drivers side of his car. “I often wonder how I’m related to such a mind numbing, game playing, womanizing, prick.”

“I often wonder how you didn’t end up exactly like the mind numbing, game playing, womanizing, prick in question.” Clair laughed. “It does run in the family.”

I rolled my eyes, waving her off as I walked toward my guitar case. She knew very well why I didn’t end up like Page and the other males in my family. The sad thought is…I actually could’ve. “Allow me to quote one of the few smart things my Grandfather has said,” I told Clair as I walked toward the door. “‘The ability to be a perfect manipulator is in the Alexander blood. But whether you use it for personal profit or not is what defines you’.” I told her with a smile.

Its true. The males of my family are known for being just like Page. But in the end, they all give it up for the one thing they know is more important: Love. It’s an awful cliché, but its the truth. And I could’ve chosen that life and been far worse than Page, but the I never had reason to. I was in love with one girl my whole life.

“I can’t believe we’re actually about to do this, bro.” Nick said, joining me and Clair as we got to the bottom of the stairs. “How did you even get them to agree?”

Clair gave Nick a sneaky smile. “A little persuasion from a new friend, of course.”

I smiled, amazed by how much Clair has helped me with this whole thing. I’ve completely messed things up with Nikki, but I know they would’ve been far worse if it weren’t for Clair. “Thank you for this. For helping me. It means more than you know.” I told Clair as Nick put my guitar and his bass in the back of our old drummer’s truck.

“That’s what friends are for, Love.” She shrugged, a smile on her lips. “Now go fix things with Nikki.”

----
~Nikki~

The prom is well underway. Music has been thumping way too loudly for the past three hours, shoes have been thrown everywhere, and couples are dancing like animals in heat. But I guess this is normal. Its defiantly not as bad as our Junior prom. That was worse than a Pussy Cat Doll video.

I smiled, nodding at all the kids Page was introducing me to, but I wasn’t really paying too much attention. My mind isn’t even here, to be honest. Not to mention I have no idea who these people are. They’re all Page’s friends who I’ve never even seen. I always wonder how I haven’t met half the people at my school.

“Hey, man! This is my girlfriend, Nikki.” Page said, making me hug yet another unfamiliar face.

I just hugged him and his date, not even bothering to try to remember a name. I probably won’t see them again. Not tonight away. “What‘s happening on the stage?” I asked, ignoring the rude look some random girl walking past was giving my dress.

Standing next to me, Misty shrugged, pulling on her dress a bit. Its clear how uncomfortable she is. I’m right there with her. Our dresses are probably a size too small and made to fit tightly. Oh, the things we do just to look good for one night. “I think its some band who used to go here or whatever.”

I frowned. “Some band who used to go here?” I mumbled to myself, trying to run through all the bands that have been to this school in the past few years. I searched my memory for a band that everyone would actually remember. The band would’ve had to be filled with people who were well liked when they were here, otherwise they wouldn’t be playing at our prom.

“What’s up class of 2012!”

And I froze. I didn’t even have to look at the stage to know who that voice belonged to. “Please, God, no. Not tonight. Just let me have one night of peace.” I mumbled to myself, begging every Higher Power I could think of. I just wanted one night where I could try to be happy.

“What the flying fuck are they doing here?” Nikki snapped, glaring at the stare like she wanted to murder the people stand on it.

I sighed, finally looking to see why she was so upset. “Damn it to Hell.” I mumbled under my breath. Can I have one major life event where Chandler doesn’t crash it in some way, shape, or form?! “How did Chandler even get permission to play at our prom?” I hissed, starting to feel annoyed. I know Chandler did this on purpose. He had to. Probably to ‘keep an eye on Page’ since he and Nick are pretty mad about me dating him.

“Screw Chandler! Why is Nick here?!” Misty hissed in anger, clenching her jaw. “Can’t I just have one damn night where he doesn’t try to ruin everything?!”

I started at her for a second, confused as to what she just said. Whatever is going on between them clearly isn’t going well. “Well,” I sighed, throwing my arm over her shoulder. “I guess we’re both having guy problems tonight.” I shook my head, thinking about how that sounded. My best friend and my brother? The thought is horrible. “But at least you have a real reason. Unlike me.”

She shook her head. “I’m sorry. I forgot about what’s between you and Chandler.”

“There’s nothing between me and Chandler.” I said a little too quickly, trying to clear my name. Its true though. Despite how I wish I felt, I’m still completely in love with him. But there is nothing between us other than fighting. But that’s all Chandler. He keeps doing things to upset me. Right when I’m finally trying to be happy, he has to jump in, disapprove, and do everything in his power to mess things up.

Misty narrowed her eyes before giving me the ‘lie, lie, lie’ look. “Right, sure. And there’s nothing between with me and Nick either.”

I shook my head at her words, rolling my eyes. I‘m still in shock about the whole idea of Nick and Misty together. “By the way, care to explain the you and Nick situation?”

“No.” she said holding her hand up in the ‘as if’ pose. “SO not in the mood to even get into that. And if I was, we’d be standing here all damn night.” she sighed in annoyance, . “Nick keeps freaking looking at me…And Chandler keeps looking at you.” she said, turning to face me with a cocked eyebrow.

I frowned at her last sentence, turning to look at the stage as I did so. “I almost forgot they were there.” I mumbled mostly to myself. Chandler was standing on the stage with a guitar in his hands an a smile on his face as he spoke into the microphone. But I wasn’t listening to his words. Not really. I was too stunned by how he looked. It was like he was 14 again. Like he was still the kid sitting in my living room playing that beat up guitar and singing too loud.

“What day is it? And in what month? This clock never seemed so alive. I can‘t keep up, and I can‘t back down. I‘ve been losing so much time.” Chandler sang, his eyes closed like he was getting sucked into the music like he used to. When he as younger, he would play a song and completely zone out until he was finished.

“Did you know Chandler could sing like that?” Misty questioned, shock clear in her voice.

I shook my head. “I knew he could sing, just not like that.” I mumbled, still staring at Chandler in aw. It was like I was staring at a flash back. The smile on his face looked exactly like it did 11 years ago.

Just as Nick walked toward his own microphone, Chandler’s eye flew open and snapped to me. “Cause its you and me, and all of the people, with nothing to do. Nothing to lose. Cause its you and me, and all of the people. And I don’t know why, I can’t keep my eyes off of you.”

My eyes started to sting as I realized what was going on. Nick was singing to Misty and Chandler was singing to…me? I looked around, double checking to make sure I wasn’t taking things the wrong way. It wouldn’t be the first time. “Did you know Nick could sing?” I asked Misty, trying to divert my thoughts so I don’t over think this situation.

“I didn’t have a clue.” She mumbled.

I blinked, my brain going back to trying to figure out why on Earth Chandler would be singing a song like that to me. ‘Maybe I really am taking this the wrong way.’ I thought to myself. I sighed when I felt the sting of hope that Chandler actually feels the same way. How many times does he have to prove that he will never feel that way about me before I actually believe it? My brain knows getting my hopes up is an awful idea. But my heart tends to ignore logical reason.

For a second, Chandler broke our staring contest. But his eyes snapped back to mine before he started singing again. “All of the things, I want to say, just aren’t coming out right. I’m tripping on words, you’ve got my head spinning. I don’t know where to go from here.”

Misty and I were totally ignoring the fact that people were slowly dancing around us. In fact, I didn’t even noticed until someone nearly bumped into me. I’m too in shock over what’s happening on stage right now.

“Cause it’s you and me, and all of the people, with nothing to do. Nothing to prove. And its you and me, and all of the people. And I don’t know why, I can’t keep my eyes off of you.”

“I’m in love with Chandler.” I blurted out before I realized it. “Oh my god. I’m in love with him.” I repeated in shock, my hands flying over my mouth as my eyes widened. That’s the first time I’ve actually said it out loud. That’s the first time I’ve truly accepted the fact that I’m so in love with him that I can barely function right. I’m totally, completely, and utterly in love with Chandler Alexander. I always have been, and I probably always will be. 

“Duh.” Misty snapped from beside me. “Glad you can finally admit it.”

I ignored her and her snarky tone, still trying to wrap my brain around finally totally understanding my feelings. It hurt so much. Understanding this physically hurts. I feel like I can’t breathe. Like there’s a thousand pound brick sitting on my chest. I’ve thought about my feelings for Chandler so many times that I’ve lost count. But actually saying them out loud was something completely different.

I was finally able to break eye contact with Chandler. But only to look at my Brother who was looking at Misty. I frowned as his attention turned to me. Nick gave me an evil smirk, nodding toward Chandler before tapping his watch.

I shook my head a him. I can’t believe he’s still blackmailing me about that. I thought he would’ve forgotten, or at least let me off the hook since Clair came. But I guess not. “I think I’m gonna go.” I told Misty before turning around to find Page. I can’t stay in here. Between my Brother still pushing me to tell Chandler, and Chandler standing there singing like that, its too much. I can‘t handle this right now. “Page. Can we go?” I asked, trying to keep my voice steady. It didn’t work.

He stared at me for a second -probably trying to figure out what was wrong- before nodding, saying goodbye to the people at the table, and grabbing my hand. “Yeah. Just wait here while I get my car, okay?” he said as we entered the lobby of the building.

I just nodded, leaning against the nearest wall. “Stupid Chandler.” I mumbled to myself once Page was out of hearing range. This is completely his fault. I just wanted one night where I was totally free from him. Just one night where I didn’t have to feel like my heart was being stepped one. But instead, he had to show up here. That damn boy had to show up, sing that stupid song, and make my feelings so much worse. “Stupid, stupid, stupid Chandler.”

I can’t put up with this anymore. I can’t stay in the same house with him or my Brother. Not after this. It won’t work. I honestly can’t take it.

----

I snuck down the steps, tossing my bag over my shoulder trying to make as little sound as possible. But that’s pretty hard at 1am when there’s barely any noise in the house. Well, other than the noise coming from  the kitchen. Which sounded like an argument. I stopped, holding my breath as I tired to listen to the hushed yelling.

“I can’t stand seeing her with him. And the idea of her being with him, alone, for days? It makes me physically sick.” That was Chandler’s voice, a strong sound of distress coating his words. Since when does Chandler actually have feelings?

“Then tell her and get it over with.” It was Clair who said that, her tone irritated. “How much longer do you think you can keep up this masquerade of the truth? If she stays with him, even your perfect porcelain mask will crack.”

“She’s right. Look at you, man. You can’t even keep it together right now.” That was Nick’s voice. A hint of humor laced his words. But there was also concern. “You have to tell her. You can’t keep acting like nothings wrong with you. She’s blind to a lot of things, but she isn’t stupid.”

I heard Chandler sigh. “I know this. All of it. But there isn’t much I can do. If Page hadn’t stepped in the way, this would’ve been a whole lot easier.” he paused. “And he did it just to spite me. Him sending this text proves that much. He has no feelings for her. Not really.” Something slammed against the counter, Chandler letting out a loud exhale a few seconds later. “I swear I want to strangle him for what he’s trying to do to her. She’s just a toy to him. A tool to get back at me for whatever I did to make him so angry.”

I frowned, wondering if they were talking about the girl Nick and Chandler were talking about at the Hospital a few weeks back. But why is Page’s name involved in this? What does Page have to do with whoever the girl is?

“So tell her.” That was Nick again. “Tell her, Chandler. Because if she walks out that door without knowing, you can be damn sure she won’t be coming back.”

“Hmm. For once Nicolas has said something that doesn’t sound completely mental.” Clair chuckled. “But, Chandler dear, you have to do this. There isn’t any other way. Not anymore.”

“Clair, I--”

“I’m not fished.” Clair said, cutting Chandler off. “Listen, I can tell by the look on your face that you’re scared to say something because you’re completely terrified by the idea of her rejecting you. But its not going to happen. I promise you this. However, if you let her go, you’ll always wonder what could’ve been.”

Chandler sighed. “So what you’re saying is--”

“What we’re saying is to tell her, damn it. I’m sick of hearing you complain and seeing her nearly break down every time you walk in the room.” Nick snapped. “Clair and I both tried to get this done other ways, but telling her is obviously the only one that’s gonna work.”

“I just don’t know how to say it.” Chandler mumbled. “Something like this would be easy if it were anyone else.”

“There is nothing ‘easy’ about this situation, Chandler. Being in love is one of the hardest things you’ll ever go through, and telling the person you’re in love with how you feel is one of the hardest things you’ll ever do. Now be quiet because this conversation is no longer private. Nikki?” Clair said. “Can you come here for a moment?”

I closed my eyes, sighing as I walked down the rest of the stairs. How did Clair even know I was standing here? I was completely quiet. Its like she has super hearing or something. “Yes?” I asked, walking into the kitchen. All eyes were on me. “Uh, what’s going on?”

“I could ask you the same thing, dear.” Clair said, nodding toward my bag before raising her eyebrows. “Where are you off to at this hour?”

“I’m going to stay with Misty.” I said, biting my lip.

“You’re a staying with Misty lie.” Nick snapped, rolling his eyes.

Clair shot him a sharp glare. “Let me handle this, will you?

Nick just waved her off, getting up from his bar stool and walking out of the room. I guess he really isn’t in the mood for this. I can’t blame him.

“Now,” Clair said once Nick was up stairs. “Where are you going and with who?”

“Look, no offense, Clair, but you’re not my Parent. And even if you were, you can’t stop me from leaving. Not legally. I’m 18. I can leave to go wherever whenever I feel like it.” I told her. I just want to get out of here. I thought being in the room with Chandler hurt before? That pain was minor compared to this. Its like someone is ripping my heart to pieces.

“You‘re correct. I‘m just trying to keep you from doing something you‘ll regret later.” Clair said before leaning over to whisper something to Chandler. “Chandler needs to talk to you before you leave. Since you’ll be staying with Page.”

My eyes widened. “How did you--”

“Page is his cousin, remember?” Clair whispered as she walked past me.

I sighed again. “Of course.” I said. I probably should’ve thought of that. I already knew those two spoke. Chandler called Page after if dropped my off. That‘s partly why I‘m leaving. “What is it you need to talk about?” I asked, a slightly rude tone to my voice. I’m ready to get away from him.

Chandler‘s face went completely blank. The normal cool mask he changes his face to when something is bothering him taking over. “Come sit.” he said, walking towards the refrigerator. 

“Chandler, just sip it out. I don’t have all--”

He cut me off. “Nikki, just sit down and listen to me for one second without auguring about it.”

My eyes widened at his tone. He went from being upset to pissed off in less than 30 second. “Okay.” I said, walking toward the barstools Nick and Clair just left. “Just tell me what want to talk about, Chandler. We don’t need to beat around the bush.” I told him, my tone slightly softer this time. But I could feel the pain in my chest starting in increase as I thought about what I just over heard. Not just about Chandler, but about Page too. Who was he using to get back at Chandler, and why didn’t I know about it? If Page with another girl, everyone would know about it.

When my attenion snapped back to Chandler, I noticed his hands were shaking has he poured himself a cup of ice tea. “I want to talk about what happened earlier.”

I sighed, crossing my arms. “Which part? How you showed up at my prom, with my Brother, just to spy on me? Or how you called my boyfriend after he dropped me off and threatened him?” I asked, my tone going back to being rude. I have every right to be mad at a Chandler. He actually called Page a threatened to hurt him. The Alexander boys don’t seem to act like family at all.

“I didn’t threaten Page.” Chandler said, his eyes blank and his voice steady. But just barely. I could tell he was really controlling himself. “Nor did I call him. He called me.”

I gave him a look of disbelief. I can’t believe he’s lying to my face like this. Chandler has done a lot of messed up things since he‘s been back, but he has never lied directly to my face. “Right.” I said, shaking my head and getting up from the stool. “Of course you didn’t. Because Chandler Alexander never does anything wrong.” I told him with a bitter chuckle, grabbing my bag and walking toward the living room.

“Nikki, wait. Just listen to--”

“Listen to what, Chandler?!” I yelled a little bit too loudly. It’s the middle of the night, and here I am screaming at the top of my lungs. But it doesn’t matter to me. Not right now. I just can’t take this anymore. I’ve reached my breaking point with this whole thing. I took a deep breath, trying to calm down before I spoke again. “What is it you need to say that you haven‘t already?”

He sighed. “You shouldn’t be dating Page, Nikki. He isn’t good for you. He isn‘t good for anyone, really.”

My jaw nearly dropped. “Page isn’t good for me?” I asked, feeling my eyes start to sting a little bit. Not because of his words, but because they were so true. And I knew he was right. But that doesn’t make it okay for him to say things like that so nonchalantly. “Who made you the judge of that?” I asked, the line between being hurt and getting mad starting to blur. “How dare you even judge something you totally don’t understand?” I’m with Page because I can’t be with Chandler. Its stupid, and slightly pathetic, but its true. Page is the closet thing I’ll have to Chandler. That’s why I agreed to date him. But I’ll never admit that out loud. “Especially when you dated someone as awful as Liz. Twice, I mind you. She almost got you killed, then she turned around and cheated on you. She’s like a walking case of bad news.”

“Elizabeth has nothing to do with this topic.” he snapped. “This is about you and Page.”

I sighed, feeling my blood start to boil. This always happens. Chandler always finds a way to get under my skin. One way or another. “Right! Me and Page. Nicole and Page.” I hissed, my free hand starting to ball into a fist around my phone. “There is no Chandler in the equation, so mind your business!”

“This is my business, Nicole.” he hissed back.

I threw my bag on the ground, walking to the barstools again. I leaned over the counter, getting in Chandler’s face the best I could. “This is not your business. AT ALL. We’ve been over this before, Chandler Alexander. Your right for having any say in my life was revoked the day you left!”  I screamed that, not caring if it woke someone up. Why do me and Chandler always fight in this stupid kitchen?

He leaned back, his hands clenching on the counter. “How do we always get back to this? Why does it always come back me leaving, Nikki?” Chandler pinched the bridge of his nose, a habit he does when he’s about to get mad. It’s a rare thing, Chandler actually getting angry, but it happens. And I can tell the flood gates are about to be opened. He’s defiantly about to snap. “This is about something completely unrelated. This is about your relationship with Page. Not your relationship with me.”

“Exactly! And my relationship with Page has nothing to do with you. So why are you so jealous, Chandler?!” I blurted out that last part before I realized what I was saying. I wanted to stuff the words back in my mouth, but it was too late. My words pushed Chandler over the edge.

His hands slammed against the counter, his calm mask finally cracking completely. Anger is what replaced it. But not just that. There was always something in his eyes. Almost like he’d been holding onto something that he was about to blurt out. “I’m jealous because I’m fucking in love with you! Goddamn it, Nikki…I always have been.”

My jaw dropped and eyes nearly popped out of my head. Partly from the fact that he actually full on yelled at me, partly because he cursed at me for the first time ever, but mostly because of his words. “What?” I breathed, barely able to even get the word out. I wanted him to repeat himself. I wanted to make sure I hadn’t really gone off the deep and started hallucinating.

He walked around the counter, coming to stand next to me by the barstools. Chandler grabbed my hand, pulling me so I was facing him. He let go of my hand, only to place his on the sides of my face. His hazel eyes held mine, making my breath get caught in my throat again. It felt like he was looking at my soul, giving me the gift of actually understanding him and what‘s going on inside of his head, all while making me forgive him for the past five years. “I’m in love with you, Nikki.”

------------------------------------------------------------
Author’s Note: BOOM. Who started screaming and/or crying? I let my friend read this chapter before I uploaded it, and that’s what happened. XD

Shout out to sexynerd99 and EmbraceThePain of for messaging me. Even though a lot of people have been asking me to upload, their messages made me get off my butt, stop my personal pity party, and write this damn book. xD If I could dedicate this chapter to them both, I would. But since I can’t, I’m just going to say thank you. So thank you! :D I also want to thank Blake Bliss of Youtube/Twitter. I watched one of his videos, and he helped with a problem that I’ve been dealing with for months. Check him out! (:

New chapter coming VERY soon. I promise not to make you guys wait that long again. But until then, vomment and fan! Love you for reading. (:

-Lexi Rain