Chapter 34 - Foul Play

Score:

Red Team: 2913 Points
White Team: 2810 Points

I absentmindedly stared at the score that was displayed after the end of the hurdling round. The Red Team was still in the lead, but we were slowly being caught up to. The Second Years, barring Nagumo, had a rather abysmal performance, which probably dropped our score a bit, and we ended up gaining lesser than points than expected.

"Alright, we've got capture-the-flag next!" Sudo screamed into the assembled crowd of boys from Class A and D. "We're definitely winning, you guys!"

Even though I am the de facto leader of this Sports Festival, I felt it would be optimal to hand over the reins to Sudo. He was experienced in these sort of situations, and even though he had a short fuse, he could very well lead and encourage the team.

I looked over at the other side of the field. We would be facing off against Class B and C, who were led by Kanzaki and Shibata, and Ryuuen for Class C respectively. I could make out Ishizaki, Komiya and Kondo, who were involved in a brawl alongside Sudo. There was also a tall African-American student who I was informed went by the name Albert Yamada, from Class C. He looked like he would be a strong opponent.

"Alright, Class D will go on offense first, and Class A will defend," I said. "It's better to stay separated Class-wise. It makes coordination easier among teammates. We'll flip the roles in the next round, yeah?"

The flags were hoisted by Class A and Class B on the other side. It looked like Class B would be doing the defending, while Class C would attack our side. It was an iron-clad rule that the attacking portion of one team cannot interfere with the attacking portion of the other team. The same holds true for the defending team as well. Hence, this would be a simple battle of strength between Class B and D.

"I've never done this before," Ayanokoji walked up to me.

"Neither have I," I shrugged. "Sports Festival wasn't really a big thing back in middle school. I pretty much used to skip it all the time."

The signal indicating the start of the match sounded, and Sudo charged ahead of everyone else. The more proactive members followed suit. Ike and Yamauchi were staring and running around in all directions, unsure of what to do.

"Don't kill anyone," Ayanokoji gave me a useless warning.

"That's rich coming from you," I snapped back.

"Stop Sudo at all costs!", the boys of Class B shouted out. Sudo rammed into their defense, which reminded me of a medieval age battering ram being thrown into the castle's walls. No one in Class B was a match for Sudo's overwhelming strength, and he picked the Class B boys off one by one and pushed his way forward towards the pole alone.

"I've made a way for you weaklings! Come and help me!" Sudo screamed back at the rest of the class.

Soon, 4 students grappled Sudo at once, and even Sudo's strength was subdued to an extent. I pushed my way through the throng, and managed to get somewhere around the center before a hand grabbed my shoulder, threatening to pull me away. I slapped it away with minimal force, and stretched out my left hand.

I just barely managed to scrape the flag. I needed to get closer.

I ducked into the crowd.