|5| p o p c o r n

I laid in my bed, bored. My stomach flat against the soft mattress of my blue sheets. With my laptop in front of me, flashing a blank MS Word document. I narrowed my eyes at the caret, which continued to blink. Taunting me unintentionally. I released a long sigh, trying to type at least a paragraph for my entry. If Austin wouldn't help me, maybe I should try something on my own. But to my obviously extreme luck, I came out with none. Nada. Not even a single word to start a short paragraph.

I stared at my keyboard blankly, randomly tracing its letters, trying to get in the zone. I shut the laptop close with a little more force than necessary when I couldn't rack my brain up for something to write and it made me feel hopeless, tired and frustrated.

You know that feeling when you've been working so hard for something that you badly wanted but it just won't happen? It's like the world is against you and the angels are making sure of it, laughing behind your back as you struggle to fulfill your dreams. A little too imaginative but it made my point across.

It was a normal Thursday night, exhausting and simply boring. Without my friends who invited themselves over to my house after school, I'd probably die out of boredom - something I wouldn't want on my death certificate.

"Hey have a little more care! Technology is essential to mankind. Don't hurt that precious thing." Kayla stood up from her comfortable position in my swivel chair and walked towards my bed to grab my laptop. She tucked it under her arm protectively, as if it's actually breathing.

I rolled my eyes at her dramatics, sitting up from my lazy position to give her a blank expression. These are my friends and their dramatic tendencies, always reacting way too much over something that's supposed to be ignored or just shrugged at. Just like eating popcorn before the movie even starts, stating the obvious flaws of their celebrity crushes, a newly bought cute top or a catchy song that's just been released to be the new trend of teens.

My friends have always been like this, inviting themselves over without notice, robbing our fridge off with a week's worth of food and just disturbing my time for writing, but I still love them nonetheless. We're always joined by the hip so that wouldn't be surprising. Bugging each other till the peak of exploding is probably just our way of showing love. We're weird and cool that way.

Even if sometimes they tend to stick their noses to everything in my life and even if they are so loud and dramatic, I still couldn't imagine my life without them, Without my best buddies.

They're the people who will never judge me because I mix mayo and ketchup as a dip for my fries or just because I love living an ordinary life. Far from all of the high school drama. They're like my crutches when I couldn't walk. My eyeglasses when things get too blurry to see, my sugar when the coffee gets too bitter, my harmony when all I have are lyrics, my correction fluid when I made a mistake and the people I trust when I have none.

I was just the quiet, timid and shy kid the day before I met them-probably on my way to becoming a nerd, but just by forgetting my pencil case, I met these wonderful people who gave my life a little spark and thrill.

"Oh please books are so much better than those." Lily retorted playfully, answering for me. In her hands is a book that she's been reading for hours now while sitting peacefully on the floor.

Kayla gasped dramatically, holding her hand to her mouth that's hanging open. "You did not just say that. Books are nothing but a sham, fooling hopeless romantic people into believing that stupid thing called love." she said the last word with so much hatred and bitterness that I almost believed her acting skills, but let's face it. It's Kayla.

I snapped my head towards Lily who's seated on the floor to my right to see her reaction. She just rolled her eyes and scoffed. "You are just so bitter. One day a guy would sweep me off my feet and kiss me under the moonlight." my best friend sighed dreamily, her eyes sparkling as she hugged Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook against her chest