1

They say a man is only as strong as the woman who holds him and for Max Verstappen that came in the form of his best friend since he was 4 years old, Anna Rossi.

She was everything anyone would want in a best friend. She was strong, kind, caring, supportive and still every part the most independent woman Max knew.

Anna had been to every one of Max's races since he joined Formula One at 17 years old. Even if she wasn't fit to be there for the whole race weekend, she had never missed a race since he started with Toro Rosso and then Red Bull.

Although every weekend she was equally as terrified as the fear of something happening to her best friend, the thought always played in the back of her mind as she sat in the Red Bull garage.

But knowing Max was doing was he loved and dreamed of was enough for her to forget her worries and watch him live out his dream every weekend with one of the top teams in the sport.

Although Silverstone had been a weekend that truly shook Anna to the core. Watching her best friend crashing into a wall at a speed of over 180kmh truly scared her and she only breathed when she say him getting out of the car even though it was clear he was shaken up.

That was the worst car she had ever witnessed happening to him and the thought of losing the one person who had been with her through every big milestone in her life.

Max was now hopefully approaching one of the biggest milestone of his own life. Winning his very first Formula One World Drivers' Championship.

This weekend was the Saudi Arabia Grand Prix in Jeddah and Anna was waiting in her apartment in Monaco for Max to text saying it was outside.
Her balcony overlooked Monaco bay and in turn the same road that was part of the track on the Monaco Grand Prix weekend.

Max lived a couple of kilometres away with his girlfriend Kelly. The pair had been dating for just over a year now and had both been living in Monaco so they made the decision to move in together along with Kelly's daughter Penelope.

Anna wasn't exactly Kelly's biggest fan and the feelings were mutual but she would put up with the Brazilian when she had to for the sake of her best friend even if that meant an 8 and a half hour flight to Jeddah.

Her phone beeped telling her Max was downstairs waiting so she stood up and done one last run around her apartment to see if anything important jumped out at her that she might have forgotten.

You'd think travelling around the world for the last 7 years of her life she would be used to it by now but Anna always had anxiety when packing that she would forget something important.

She grabbed her bag and suitcase making sure she had her passport which was the most important think as Max would have her boarding pass along with his own from Red Bull.

She locked her apartment door and headed downstairs. She said goodbye to her doorman and walked towards Max's car. She was looking down at her phone as she left her building and when she looked up she was surprise to find just her best friend in the car.

Anna threw her suitcase in the boot of his car before jumping into the passenger seat next to Max.

"Hey." She spoke with a smile as she got into the Aston Martin.

"Hey. All set?" Max asked causing his best friend to nod and Max to look over his shoulder before driving away and heading for the airport.

"So, where's Kelly?" Anna eventually asked, her curiosity getting the better of her as they left the principality.

"Oh, she decided not to come." Max said casually with a shrug of his shoulders as they got onto the motorway leading into France.

"She just decided not to come?" Anna questioned as she turned in her seat slightly so she was facing towards Max.

"Anna." Max spoke in a warning tone of voice knowing what the brown haired girl was hinting at.

"What Max?" Anna replied. "This is like the biggest race of your life and first one where you can actually win the title. And she just 'decided not to come'?"

"Anna it's not that big of a deal." Max assured her although she could tell that it bothered him.

"Max, come on. Don't tell me that you're not the slightest bit bothered by this. She's your girlfriend and she's not gonna be at what could be the biggest race of your career." The Rossi girl spoke.

"My mom and sister won't be there." Max tried to defend his girlfriend's actions.

"Your sister is 9 months pregnant and about to pop and your mom is staying with her. That's no comparison to your girlfriend who just decided not to come." Anna explained as she crossed he arms over her chest.

"We're not arguing about this Anna. I said it's not a big, so it's not a big deal. Just leave it." Max told her as he kept his eyes fixed on the road in front of him.

"Fine." Anna replied as she turned back in her seat so she was facing forward again.

"Fine." Max repeated her word something they always done when they had a disagreement.

After a few minutes of silence, Anna grabbed her phone and connected it to Max's car and started playing songs through the speakers.

She glanced over out of the corner of her eye and could see Max smiling as he continued to drive. She too started smiling as they both started signing along to the words.

It was true to say they argued like any best friends would but at the of the day Anna wasn't falling out with Max over his choice of girlfriends.

—————

I've been threatening to do a Max book for months now and finally decided to just publish it.

No hate to Kelly, I adore her so this is strictly for the book and plot of the story.

Hope you guys like it

-ky❤️