Two Years Later

Ellie 

It has been two years since I last laid eyes on my mate. The mate that had rejected me. Although my wolf was sad and depressed for a couple of months, she soon managed to cope with the pain. After that meeting in the Alpha's office I never came face to face with him again. He wasn't even there to see me leave with my Uncle. 

Originally when I finished my education, I was planning to settle down in Florida so that I was close to my grandparents and uncle but I couldn't do. It would be unfair on all of us if I remained there. It would never allow us to fully move on if I had to keep reporting in to him every quarter. As much as I was disappointed that he rejected me, it wasn't fair on his chosen to have me hoovering over them. 

My Uncle took me home the next morning, the drive was quiet and I could tell that he was exhausted from the morning patrol. I didn't really want to speak because all I could do was feel my wolf's heartbreak and I spent most my time trying to calm and soothe her. It wasn't long before we reached home and I embraced my grandmother with a warm hug. It was then that I felt the tears escape my eyes. My uncle simply sought my grandfather out and crashed next to him on the couch. 

It wasn't before long that I was hiding out in my room and I was making phone calls to the agencies that I had interned at in New York and quickly got a few job offers. It was then that I started to make my plans to return to the City. I knew it would break my grandparents heart but I couldn't stay here. It would only cause me pain seeing him and his chosen mate. 

I remember when we all sat round the dining room table and I told them my decision to return to the city. My grandparents wept and my uncle looked at me like he was in pain. I explained that I would spend the next couple of weeks with them but the job offers that I had accumulated in the City was something that I couldn't down. My grandparents both gave me a watery smile and told me that they understand but secretly I could see the pain that I would spend years away from them. 

My uncle on the other hand, well he was a different story. He had this innate ability to understand when I was hiding things. He followed me to the garden where I was standing bare foot in the grass. I remember the conversation like it was yesterday. 

Flashback 

"Ellie what's going on? You were so excited to come home. I know you were happy to be home and I could tell you were getting ready to settle down in Florida." My Uncle James sternly stated. 

"I wasn't Uncle, I had other jobs lined up. I thought I could get employed in Florida but I didn't get the job." I lied. 

"Eleanor, don't lie to me. I saw the job offers that were local here, they were good jobs. So please tell me the real reason. You know you can trust me." Uncle James encouraged. 

I took a deep breath, my heart was pounding in my heart, my eyes were welled with tears as I looked up to the night sky. How was I meant to tell him the truth? He was under the command of the mate that had rejected me? Could he really keep this a secret? Would he able to hide this from my grandparents? Would his relationship change with his Alpha? 

"Uncle James it's complicated and it's not that I don't trust you. It's just that I don't think you could keep this a secret." I replied sadly. I sat down in the grass pulling my knees to my chest. I was scared of what would happen to him and my family if Alpha Samuel found out I had revealed our secret. 

"Ellie, you may not be my biological daughter, but you are the closest thing to a child I will ever have. That day when your grandmother called me and I saw what your father did to you." He shakes his head in disgust. "Even though you were a teenager, you looked so small and vulnerable, I still remember the shake of your little body. When I got you home to Grandpa, I cried and I promised myself that I would never let any harm come to you. You mean so much to me kiddo. So please share your worries, I will forever hold and hide your secrets. No matter how big and terrible they may be." He says softly.