Epilogue: It's happening

"Turn it off." Harlan groaned into my neck.

I huffed into the pillow trying to escape the sound of Harlan's phone ringing. It was way to early and I had no interest in getting up and answering it for him.

It was his phone, his problem.

"It's your phone." I tried to swat at him to get up.

"But you're closer." He argued.

I peaked an eye open and immediately groaned at the sunlight illuminating the room. Once my eyes adjusted I saw the empty bedside table in front of me.

"They are next to you on your side you idiot." I sighed in frustration.

"Fine," Harlan detached from me turning over to answer the phone.

I smiled knowing that I'd be able to get some more sleep and closed my eyes sinking into my bed.

Harlan let out another frustrated groan and then the ringing stopped.

"Kieran I swear to god Jade better be pushing out my niece because that's the only reason you're allowed to wake me up at this hour." My husband answered his phone.

I quickly realized sleep probably wasn't going to happen for me. If Kieran was calling it was probably important. He usually didn't bother us at this hour.

"What really?" Harlan's whole face lit up.

I tried to wave at my husband to get his attention so he could put it on speaker but he just ignored me and continued his conversation.

"Oh shit ok ok, we will be there." Harlan was getting up out of bed nodding his head as he talked to Kieran.

"Alright I'm getting ready, see you guys soon." And he hung up.

I didn't have to hear the other side of the conversation to guess what was happening. After nine long months my best friend was finally having her baby.

"Get up!" Harlan reached over the bed grabbing my hand trying to pull me out of the bed.

"Relax I'm getting up." I rolled my eyes at him.

"It's happening! It's actually happening!" Harlan yelled dropping my hand to run and get ready.

"If this is how you act when Jade is having her baby I don't want to know what you'll be like when it's ours." I just shook my head as I crawled out of bed.

"Our baby?" Harlan beamed at me.

"We are not having a baby." I turned that down.

"They'd be so cute though." He gave me those damn puppy eyes.

"You know what's also cute? A dog." I argued while getting dressed.

"We should get one!" He nodded.

"Later," I agreed.

Harlan and I had been talking about getting a dog for about a month but never actually doing it. I wanted to start a family with him but having a child seemed like a big step I didn't know if we were quite ready to take that leap just yet. A dog seemed like the perfect solution.

It didn't take long for the two of us to get ready and head out to meet Kieran and Jade at the hospital. I was super excited for my friends and to finally see the baby girl.

Once we got to the hospital Harlan basically barreled through the place to get to his sister. I wasn't going to be the one to get him to relax so when I saw Kieran stick his head out of the room and wave at us I felt relieved that maybe he'd smack some sense into my husband.

"Did I miss it?" Harlan panted.

"Umm no we still got hours to go." Kieran laughed.

"You're kidding." Harlan's jaw dropped. "I rushed over here, I ran through the parking lot."

"I told you not to." I added in.

"I was hoping one of you would have brought a coffee for me. And then distracted Jade so I could drink it. She might rip my head off if I drank one in front of her." Kieran gave us a both pleading look.

"We can go on a coffee run." I nodded and grabbed Harlan and dragged him away.

The last thing Jade needed was two guys going crazy over her. I'd let Kieran have that job.

After hours of waiting Kieran walked back out with a huge smile on his face.

"Want to see her?" He asked us.

Harlan basically pushed me out of the way as he scrambled to get up.

"Really?" I frowned at my husband.

"Sorry babe I got excited." He grabbed my hand and pulled me closer to him.

We all walked back into the hospital room and my best friend laid there and while she looked absolutely exhausted she was still glowing with happiness. Her mom sat in the chair next to her looking at the small little baby tucked against my best friends chest.

And that baby, well it was the cutest thing I'd ever seen.

"Meet little Aurora." Jade smiled as Harlan and I stepped into the room and leaned over to get a look at the little girl.

"She's got those perfect Shepard genes." Harlan beamed.

"Mhmm." I chuckled.

"Can you? Let them hold her." Jade held the baby out to her husband.

Kieran scooped her up and held her against his chest. The way he looked at his daughter was enough to warm my heart. He looked at that baby like she was his whole world and I knew that she probably was.

"Want to hold her." He looked over at Jade's mom.

"Of course, let me see my favorite grandbaby."she smiled happily.

"Favorite?" Harlan looked at his mom.

"Only have the one unless you want to tell me something Harlan." She eyed her son.

I was eyeing him too. I didn't exactly know where Harlan was going with this.

"Well actually," Harlan looked over at me with a wide smile.

What was he doing?

"You guys are-,"

"Getting a dog!" Harlan cut off Jade.

"You're kidding." Kieran just shook his head.

"Aurora is still my favorite grandbaby, your future dog included." His mom just turned back to the little girl in her arms.

"Wow that hurts." Harlan pouted.

I leaned into him letting him wrap me up in his arms. I just looked at the people around me with a smile. I was so lucky to have Harlan and to be able to be here to see my best friend get everything she's always wanted.

We were happy and that's more than either of us ever hoped for.

A/n:

And that's the end!! I'm kinda emotional, I loved writing this story so much and now that it's over I don't even know what to do with myself.

While this is officially the last chapter of the story there is three bonus chapters that are parts of this book in Harlan's pov. I had such a good time writing those and I'm super excited to share them with you. Also I'm currently working on a spin-off following Nate so keep your eyes pealed for that whenever I get around to starting to upload those chapters. Harlan and Ava won't really be in that story but Kieran and Jade will make their appearances.

Anyways I hope you all enjoyed this story and if you did don't forget to comment and vote!!

-Cora Leigh