***
"So tonight that winner will go home with a hundred thousand dollars. The air is tense in the Las Angeles Arena. A lot of money is on the line for whoever is to win. We have talked to every single coach and principal and they all seem very confident in their students' skills. The most talented thirty groups tonight, all between the ages fourteen and eighteen, are competing today for a mind-blowing prize of a hundred thousand dollars. Let us review some of the best runs this year from these four legendary schools, the most popular run that everyone is talking about comes from Mossy Oak Barrel Racing Academy, a team that has always been in the shadow, Sterling Silver. This freshman has brought light to this team, Rose Sersha, finished her last show with an impressive 14.03 seconds, let me run it back for you" The announcer said. 

"Tonight we are expecting great things from this young girl, everyone please welcome Rose Sersha," The announcer said after finishing a ten-minute role of going through all the greatest runs this year. 

I trotted up to the line mentally reminding myself that it was just like any other show. Desperately try to trick me into believing nothing was on the line except for a few more tons, but the smarter part of my brain seems to ignore my lies. My heart hammered so loudly that I was sure the entire stadium heard it, as I turned around, readying myself for my signature 'cross country move'. 

"Clover, this is for everything, this show isn't like any other one, this one determines if I can buy you back or leave you in the program forever" I whispered, the realization coming to me at the second. Clover's ears flickered back towards me signifying that he was listening. 

"We need to run like never before" I encouraged. 

"Run faster than the wind, angelically not knocking over a single barrel, your future depends on it, run as it does as well" I whispered. "Are you ready, like old times buddy, just like that first time I tried you on barrels when your old owner first told me you were in the process of being trained to race, before your change"

"On my mark" I whispered. 

"Three" 

"Two" I hesitated for a few extra beats. 

"One" I shouted, over the cheers of the crowd, digging my boots into his sides. Like a bolt of lightning, we were off. I could feel the wind racing in my ears, drowning out the sound of the crowd, as we completed the second barrel. Passing the third barrel I realized that I had cut it slightly too close. I wanted to cry when my foot glazed the side of the barrel, making it wobble dangerously. I reminded myself not to look back and check if it had fallen. 

Don't look back at Rose. 

Don't jinx it.

Don't look back, focus ahead of you.

Get to the finish line then check. 

Have faith in Clover. 

If you lose, you still have three more years to win. 

It's okay you did your best, that's all anyone can ask for. 

"This young girl cannot disappoint, Ladies and Gentlemen, she has tied a world record, getting the astonishing 13.46 seconds on her run, a round of applause for this outstanding rider and her horse" Breathlessly, I checked the barrel and sure enough it had not toppled over, a huge smile covering my face, I threw my fist in the air, giving Clover a rewarding pat with my other hand, all the while, repeating the words, "We did it boy, good job"
***

Vote if you liked it

Comment your thoughts

Share with your friends

~G