☔︎︎Chapter Eight: Let the games begin☔︎︎

Classes have officially drained me, and it's only my first day

Classes have officially drained me, and it's only my first day. I make a mental note to remind myself to ask about Blythe's relationship with Niklaus. They seemed pretty cozy, I don't know why I care- let's just say it's detrimental to the investigation.

I make my way outside and see Sade yelling silently on the phone, her cheeks are flushed and she seems frustrated. I hide behind the wall and listen in to little bits of her conversation.

"No dad, this isn't about me it's about you." She groans, "it's always been about you!"

My senses heightened because when she said dad, she meant the president of the fucking United States of America. I smirked knowing I'd just hit the jackpot of conversations to eavesdrop on.

"What do you mean?" She scoffs, "Is this about the election again? Dad, I told you it'd be fine you need to stop taking all these risks that are bound to backfire on you."

She sees someone walking by and immediately attempts to divert the conversation, "Um yeah I'll talk to you later dad." Sade slams the phone back on the receiver and takes a deep breath leaning against the cool glass.

I light bulb goes off in my mind knowing that this is my queue to make a move. I step out from behind the building and act surprised to see her, her gaze meets mine and her eyes are teary, I almost feel bad.

Almost.

I sit down on the cold pavement next to her and we don't say a word for a while before I speak, "I know this is only my first real day here, and we don't really know each other that well yet. But who better to confide in than a complete stranger?"

"I can't..." she shields in disapproval, I place my hand over hers.

"That's okay." I assure her and she smiles softly, "I used to disagree with my father all the time, it was so exhausting feeling like I always had to be the bigger person when I was just a kid. So even if you don't believe me I completely understand."

"This is so embarrassing." She mutters, "I'm sorry you had to properly meet me like this."

"I'd much rather know the real and raw version of you than the pretty and polished up poster Sade Franklin." I smile, "you don't have to be strong with me, I'm hoping that I won't have to be with you."